Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Oregon scientific WMR89

Posted

Hi guys,

I've asked Oregon scientific on Twitter, but I'm having an issue when trying to connect the unit to the PC, ive installed the software, but when I connect the unit to the PC, it doesn't say 'USB' on the unit, nor does it seem to do anything. The unit is on my devices, but with a yellow '!' Which leads me to believe the driver isn't correct?

Edited by Darren Bown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, Darren Bown said:

Hi guys,

I've asked Oregon scientific on Twitter, but I'm having an issue when trying to connect the unit to the PC, ive installed the software, but when I connect the unit to the PC, it doesn't say 'USB' on the unit, nor does it seem to do anything. The unit is on my devices, but with a yellow '!' Which leads me to believe the driver isn't correct?

What software have you installed?

Posted

16 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

What software have you installed?

I've just installed the Oregon Scientific one from their website for Windows 8 (the OS I'm running). Cumulus isn't supported I believe on the WMR89.

Posted
1 minute ago, Darren Bown said:

I've just installed the Oregon Scientific one from their website for Windows 8 (the OS I'm running). Cumulus isn't supported I believe on the WMR89.

I've seen a lot of people complaining about the WMR 89's console and its ability to work with software, and people have sent theirs back, and gone with the older WMR 88, as Oregon didn't bother to release the comms protocol to anyone, so developers couldn't add it to any of the weather software that is out there- stupid really, as they did it with the WMR 88.

Have you installed the USB to UART bridge driver? I think its under 'VCP'

Posted

I've seen a lot of people complaining about the WMR 89's console and its ability to work with software, and people have sent theirs back, and gone with the older WMR 88, as Oregon didn't bother to release the comms protocol to anyone, so developers couldn't add it to any of the weather software that is out there- stupid really, as they did it with the WMR 88.

Have you installed the USB to UART bridge driver? I think its under 'VCP'

Thanks MaPantz. It might be that I've not got enough data on it to transfer. I'll have a look at the bridge driver now and let you know. I'll be gutted if it doesn't work as it's a Christmas present that I researched quite a while and believed Oregon to be a decent company!

Posted
1 minute ago, Darren Bown said:

Thanks MaPantz. It might be that I've not got enough data on it to transfer. I'll have a look at the bridge driver now and let you know. I'll be gutted if it doesn't work as it's a Christmas present that I researched quite a while and believed Oregon to be a decent company!

You should be able to get to work with the OS software. Don't get me wrong, I rate OS stations - I used to own the WMR 200, and loved it! I just don't get why they superseded the 88 with the 89 and didn't bother letting developers use the comms protocol for it?! :cc_confused:
The 88 works beaut with Cumulus MX too. :(

• Like 1

Posted

You should be able to get to work with the OS software. Don't get me wrong, I rate OS stations - I used to own the WMR 200, and loved it! I just don't get why they superseded the 88 with the 89 and didn't bother letting developers use the comms protocol for it?! :cc_confused:
The 88 works beaut with Cumulus MX too. :(

Cheers MaPantz. I got the USB driver and that didn't work. What I did find though, is the Oregon specifically say that Windows 8 won't have issues with digital signatures on the drivers. I come to 'update' drivers from the computer on device manager and find that it's actually the digital signature that is stopping the connection. Quite an important factor for people who don't know computers well!

Got it working with the OS finally.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Darren Bown said:

Cheers MaPantz. I got the USB driver and that didn't work. What I did find though, is the Oregon specifically say that Windows 8 won't have issues with digital signatures on the drivers. I come to 'update' drivers from the computer on device manager and find that it's actually the digital signature that is stopping the connection. Quite an important factor for people who don't know computers well!

Got it working with the OS finally.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the WMR 89 uses a virtual port?! So that may have had a part to play in the matter.

Glad you've got it working though. :-)

• 2 years later...