Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

Well I use to post as Hammer, but I forgot my password and then because I had closed the email address I used (hotmail) I couldn't reset. So have had to start a new account. Shame. (If my reputation can be moved across that would be good :-) )

Very interesting setup tonight that seems similar to many over the years. Certainly a good chance of snow in some places. One of them situations where if the professionals aren't totally certain does mean there could be some surprises. However I do accept this might also mean those surprises might be of the negative variety also.

Like others I might spend more time a little later than right now, best get on with some work. Current conditions in my part of East Herts 6c and raining.

Edited by sawboinsider
  • Like 5
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's settling now 

I think snow chances this evening for most of us that live at low-levels will depend very much on how quickly the colder and drier arctic air undercuts the rain from the NW - which will relate to how

I've only just realised what a bunch of nutters we all are lol. All this drama for a 'bit' of snow .... I've spent hours if not days n days watching all this unfold .....Now all I'm left with is about

Posted Images

Good to be back in here again after a couple of years - looking forward to tonight.... The MetOffice have already upgraded me from what it was showing first thing this morning and are now telling me I'll have heavy snow for four hours from 6PM - I know there's still plenty of time for a downgrade but I'm allowing myself to get a tiny bit excited..... Just to see it falling from the sky!

Edited by kate1
  • Like 2
32 minutes ago, Nouska said:

Horrible dilemma for forecasters this evening. Knowing what the roads are like at 6pm - this is not a good place for them. Latest AROME run.

3526_lop6.png

It may not lie but driving through that with visibility problems, you can imagine accident potential.

Indeed and not just visibility problems but also drivers attitudes change.

They become more hesitant seeing potential issues where there are none, slow down and then the sheer volume of traffic does the rest.

and if it does start to stick .......http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2712045.stm

Still dry here in Walton On The Naze...it will rain at first, will be interesting to see if the cold undercutting  gets here after dark....BUT this is only a good start

the real excitement is later next week when some severe  cold arrives from the East, The lads on the model threads are saying they have not seen charts like this

for years

• Like 2
1 minute ago, clactongaz said:

Still dry here in Walton On The Naze...it will rain at first, will be interesting to see if the cold undercutting  gets here after dark....BUT this is only a good start

the real excitement is later next week when some severe  cold arrives from the East, The lads on the model threads are saying they have not seen charts like this

for years

Short memories - maybe in mid jan !

• Like 1
Just now, clactongaz said:

for years

And you know the problem with next week? It's FI ( Fantasy Island ) Miles away from now, the models have had a tough enough time with this set-up let alone the exciting E'ly's that get shown in FI.

Radar showing , as mentioned already, the low keeping its more southerly track , heavy precipitation looks heaviest in channel , so thus far (sadly from personel POV) looks like if we do get flakes ,  it  shouldnt cause too much disruption , still time for the low to deepen should cold air dig in quicker , but maybe 2 cm's south of sutton / north downs area , is my call on latest radar

Edited by southbank
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Rob Deacon said:

Link to my weather station that's in my back garden in Haywards Heath

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IHAYWARD25

Currently 6.8c

due point 5.6c

it reached a max of 7.8c today, but looking at the graph on the link it's now dropping fast

Where I lived there for 30 years ,parts of the town by hospital quite high

Edited by SLEETY

Much better 6z Euro4 and looks broadly more in line with radar returns at this stage - all to do with that wave forming a full centre (unlike the 6z GFS) and helping to engage that colder air sooner

As we all know though (and as the met office are at pains to stress) - we really don't entirely know how this will unfold

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, Chris101 said:

He's still rampin and giving full gritter analysis somewhere else.

He is still on Twitter posting about dead fish and chicken flu. as @yamkin1 ;)

Moderarate rain here atm

• Like 1