Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Och, I don't know about that, lassie? I can still recall spending an entire Esperanto lesson spent watching rain turn to sleet turn to graupel turn to snow - and back again. That was back in 1969, and was equally as soul-destroying!:angry:

It always snowed in the 60's, even in July.......so i was told:sorry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
12 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Think it's the most pathetic easterly in the history of pathetic easterlies. The models are spewing out a mild borefest as far out as they can go:angry:

Nah both easterlies during February 2013 were both grey and dry, at least this delivered some snow, not on an epic scale but at least something. 

Saying that, today has been dreadful, I am glad the total time spent outdoors totalled around 2 minutes :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Och, I don't know about that, lassie? I can still recall spending an entire Esperanto lesson spent watching rain turn to sleet turn to graupel turn to snow - and back again. That was back in 1969, and was equally as soul-destroying!:angry:

Ahhh but was it early February? I have seen many spring easterlies produce little, and autumn ones too if it comes to that, but 10th/11th Feb? This felt to me more like an easterly that you might expect in the South in about a months time, ie mid March.

Posted
1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Nah both easterlies during February 2013 were both grey and dry, at least this delivered some snow, not on an epic scale but at least something. 

Saying that, today has been dreadful, I am glad the total time spent outdoors totalled around 2 minutes :p

dull damp dreary best describes today, was going to go for a 10 meter jog, but decided to eat pies instead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Considering we had snowy/sleety melons all day it was a surprise then when the PPN came it was rain. Woke up to damp and grey. No snow even on the hills over yonder.

Quite pathetic, poor show old bean.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Dami said:

Considering we had snowy/sleety melons all day it was a surprise then when the PPN came it was rain. Woke up to damp and grey. No snow even on the hills over yonder.

Quite pathetic, poor show old bean.

You have hills:shok:

Posted
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

You have hills:shok:

aye lass. Kinda in  valley of sorts. Got a river and everything.

Posted
1 minute ago, Dami said:

aye lass. Kinda in  valley of sorts. Got a river and everything.

Must be odd for a london lass

Posted
Just now, lassie23 said:

Must be odd for a london lass

not really a london lass unless you count the fact my dad was from london. Nah I lived near the sea in a village that was at the foot of the south downs.

Posted
1 minute ago, Dami said:

not really a london lass unless you count the fact my dad was from london. Nah I lived near the sea in a village that was at the foot of the south downs.

Oh, thought you spent your yoof in london:oops:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

A friend of mine moved to Bedford ages ago, said it was really far away. Never saw him again.... No correction, saw him once then never again.

Posted
3 minutes ago, snowray said:

A friend of mine moved to Bedford ages ago, said it was really far away. Never saw him again.... No correction, saw him once then never again.

yeah it isn't some where you walk around in the dark. I don't like my village in the dark. Strange goings on.

Posted
19 minutes ago, snowray said:

Ahhh but was it early February? I have seen many spring easterlies produce little, and autumn ones too if it comes to that, but 10th/11th Feb? This felt to me more like an easterly that you might expect in the South in about a months time, ie mid March.

The issue was it was no long fetch easterly even a moderate one it was very short indeed. If we had a long fetch easterly we would have had ice days and powder snow. 

The easterly 'catchment' area was from Benelux not from frigid Siberia we sort of were immersed in our own cold pool which is unsual in itself, and air from the med was being drawn up, because of the saggy bottom to our Scandi high as Captain S succinctly puts that made me chuckle. :D

I think our Scandi high was too robust for our good. Less is more is a good phrase. A slither of +ve heights is typically much better for cold air advection off the continent.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Random question that I was just pondering about..... if you wanted to live in a place in the UK that statistically had the best of summer sunshine but also most prone to winter snow, where would that be?! Or do I need to move to North America, hahaha!!xx

Posted

Anyone remember the date of the '08(?) easterly - a Sunday afternoon and overnight snowfall that gave us a direct hit and about four inches of fairly decent snow? Following day was sunny and cold-ish, but it was all over pretty quickly. But not talking about the '09 storm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
13 minutes ago, Mac_SE said:

Anyone remember the date of the '08(?) easterly - a Sunday afternoon and overnight snowfall that gave us a direct hit and about four inches of fairly decent snow? Following day was sunny and cold-ish, but it was all over pretty quickly. But not talking about the '09 storm. 

Wasn't Feb 08' probably 2/3rd Feb 2009 when we did have a short spell of easterlies with a few inches, I remember it stuck around and had deeper snow towards the east midlands than in the south east.

Posted
1 hour ago, weathergeek said:

Random question that I was just pondering about..... if you wanted to live in a place in the UK that statistically had the best of summer sunshine but also most prone to winter snow, where would that be?! Or do I need to move to North America, hahaha!!xx

I would say two places, high ground of east Kent around Folkestone/Dover/Canterbury, or eastern areas of East Anglia, not too nr the coast mind, maybe just in from Lowestoft or Gt Yarmouth. These areas tend to get a lot of the streamers/clippers that can produce some big snow amounts.  Not too far north as the summers are too cold if your used to living in the SE and they son't get much more snow these days anyway.

Any other ideas? 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, weathergeek said:

I'm not sure that place exists in the UK. If you want decent summers with lots of sunshine and heat and winter snow then  you'll have to move over to mainland Europe, I'd forget about the USA too many nutjobs and people obsessed with guns. I suppose if I wanted to get the best out of living in the se and could afford it, then somewhere like Coldharbour just below Leith Hill would be nice, the top of the hill just about scrapes 1,000 feet including the Tower.

• Like 1

Posted

Nick, we were walking around Leith Hill today after a nice lunch at the Stephan Langton in Friday Street, and the landscape in this current weather was unremittingly bleak.  It's very beautiful round there but highly wooded, Coldharbour is great for a visit but would I like to live there?  Definitely a no.  Around there is the wildest-feeling part of the Surrey Hills and is an amazing bit of topography but unless you can get out of the woods you are in dark atmospheric dampness a lot of the year.   At the top of Leith Hill here are views for almost ever but you have to get high enough to leave the woods behind if you want to take them in.  When we lived in SW London years ago I drove to Leith Hill with my then 4 year old (he's now 20, eldest of 3) and we left London behind on a grey and wet morning, cold and uninteresting, but with the hint there might have been some snow in the hills.  We got to the Landfil car park at 7am and we were the first car to arive.  As we got out and stepped into 4 inches of fresh snow another car arrived and the lady that got out said 'aha, someone else with a soul'.  Not sure about that but it sure was wonderful.

• Like 4

Posted
5 hours ago, Dami said:

yeah it isn't some where you walk around in the dark. I don't like my village in the dark. Strange goings on.

Strange goings on, mmm, I like the sound of that tell me some more? haha:laugh:

Posted
3 hours ago, nick sussex said:

I'm not sure that place exists in the UK. If you want decent summers with lots of sunshine and heat and winter snow then  you'll have to move over to mainland Europe, I'd forget about the USA too many nutjobs and people obsessed with guns. I suppose if I wanted to get the best out of living in the se and could afford it, then somewhere like Coldharbour just below Leith Hill would be nice, the top of the hill just about scrapes 1,000 feet including the Tower.

Problem with hills over the1,000m mark is that its cold up there even in the Summer, might be ok in heat waves if you don't like hot weather. Also I would prefer to be further east for areas more exposed to a North/North Easterly airstream in winter months, so lower hills 100-200m much preferred for summer warmth.  

Posted

I was looking at this property online in Coldharbour really beautiful right up my street plus the pull factor of snow it is just the dream - surrounded by stunning scenery you need a few squids! If only, eh? 

IMG_1889.thumb.PNG.600bd7c9fa04eba2d47ba65f6a44823c.PNG

http://m.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/41640332?search_identifier=ab91dbadae9e2161fe597c9f23f53444

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

A nice start to the day with the sun shining . Already a bit of low cloud scooting fast across the predominantly blue skies.But hopefully not too much develops to hide that sun that has been absent for what seems weeks now. The wind remains quite raw as it is so strong but overall a big improvement on yesterday.

Looking forward to spring now , I need to get back in to the garden . unless of course we can squeeze in a proper snow event that lasts but the chances of that look remote although FI teases as always .

Have a great day folks .

Mark 

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Hooray !!!!!!!! :D The Sun is out, top of the morning to you all. Looking forward to getting out in the garden, then a pub lunch,  it already feels much warmer.

Highs today 7- 8C. Hopefully. Winds coming in from the south east light. Good Health to you all. Sunset 5.15

• Like 1