Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Are you sure that's not Sidney looking for knocker.. I've not seen any post from him in a while:search:

That's worrying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
Just now, lassie23 said:

That's worrying.

I know!

Posted
20 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Strangely enough, not at the moment. Looks promising for an easterly blast with some models showing -20 uppers! Still way too far out to get excited, personally speaking. 

On another note Lassie, have some of these mini watermelon seeds, wondered if you wanted some? They are meant to be quite reliable here especially under glass or cloches, with only short vines. Going to try them this year.

IMG_4143.JPG

I might get some for my parents.

Where did you get them from?

Posted
14 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Are you sure that's not Sidney looking for knocker.. I've not seen any post from him in a while:search:

Maybe Sidney's distant cousin I think knocker is lurking about. The cold brigade does not go down well with him. :rolleyes:

Posted
6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Maybe Sidney's distant cousin I think knocker is lurking about. The cold brigade does not go down well with him. :rolleyes:

:laugh:.. Well, I hope he's ok.:smile:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
35 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

I might get some for my parents.

Where did you get them from?

Got these in the US last week but they do sell 'Sugar Baby' seeds online. Happy to send you some of mine, I'll only grow 2 plants.

Posted
4 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Got these in the US last week but they do sell 'Sugar Baby' seeds online. Happy to send you some of mine, I'll only grow 2 plants.

Ok cool - I'll look them up online:good:

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Do the honey dew melons grow better in this country?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Is the weather so boring that @stainesbloke has resorted to getting his melons out :rofl:

Hehe something like that! 

Posted
12 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Do the honey dew melons grow better in this country?

I think galia-type melons like 'Emir' and 'Outdoor Wonder' will produce without protection, the watermelons will need a sunny sheltered spot but be best under glass or plastic. I'll try 2 watermelons, one in the greenhouse and one outside but planted through that woven black plastic for extra warmth.

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

I think galia-type melons like 'Emir' and 'Outdoor Wonder' will produce without protection, the watermelons will need a sunny sheltered spot but be best under glass or plastic. I'll try 2 watermelons, one in the greenhouse and one outside but planted through that woven black plastic for extra warmth.

I don't have a greenhouse so may try galia this year

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I don't have a greenhouse so may try galia this year

Hopefully a long hot summer ahead!

• Like 1

Posted
On 2/1/2017 at 12:25, stainesbloke said:

It's always so tempting to attempt early plantings but more often than not, they don't come to much. Potatoes shouldn't go in before mid March unless under cover. The only things I'll be sowing before then are peppers in a propagator. Wouldn't mind a few weeks of cold and snow, would kill off some pests, especially slugs. What spuds are you growing this year? My allotment shed is full of them, they arrived last week...

First season so it's all trial and error! But have gone for King Edwards maincrop and Abbot and Charlotte earlies. Haven't chitted the Edwards yet, they're still in  the box. If there's one thing I've discovered about this gardening malarkey, it's that for every question, there appears to be a million different answers!! We're not allowed any structures other than a lockable box on the allotment, so I'm having to chit them in a 21.c office...don't know if that's ok, either as it's meant to be in a 'cool' place.

Apart from the usual stuff, we're going to try and grow loofahs for a laugh, and those meter long courgettes:D Chiltern Seeds is quite good for weird stuff.

Having an allotment does give you mixed feeling about late winter cold, that's for sure. Not sure if I'm looking forward to a possible Beasterly...or whether I just want  a reasonable day to get digging!! 

Edited by Team Squirrel
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

First season so it's all trial and error! But have gone for King Edwards maincrop and Abbot and Charlotte earlies. Haven't chitted the Edwards yet, they're still in  the box. If there's one thing I've discovered about this gardening malarkey, it's that for every question, there appears to be a million different answers!! We're not allowed any structures other than a lockable box on the allotment, so I'm having to chit them in a 21.c office...don't know if that's ok, either as it's meant to be in a 'cool' place.

Apart from the usual stuff, we're going to try and grow loofahs for a laugh, and those meter long courgettes:D Chiltern Seeds is quite good for weird stuff.

Having an allotment does give you mixed feeling about late winter cold, that's for sure. Not sure if I'm looking forward to a possible Beasterly...or whether I just want  a reasonable day to get digging!! 

Usually dig in March

Posted

Beware the slugs though, they destroyed a whole crop of veggies of mine in one day back in the wet summer of 2013.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

Beware the slugs though, they destroyed a whole crop of veggies of mine in one day back in the wet summer of 2013.

Best pellets are these, organic and don't harm other wildlife

IMG_4146.JPG

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=6

evening  guys  if  the  gfs  is  right  after about the  8  we  might  have  to get the  huskies  out    !!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Team Squirrel said:

Potatoes are easy, my kids have grown them by just planting a normal shop bought potatoes that decided to start growing roots before.

Posted
56 minutes ago, tinybill said:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=6

evening  guys  if  the  gfs  is  right  after about the  8  we  might  have  to get the  huskies  out    !!!!

lol thought you meant 8:00 for some reason.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Best pellets are these, organic and don't harm other wildlife

IMG_4146.JPG

Best slug killers are these, their free and easily attracted. image.thumb.jpg.afdb236c4d527fa974f3ccb60240bd91.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Cloudy and dry day here. Some brightness from time to time where the high cloud thinned out a bit but not much else. Huge questions about next week but it is fun to see a couple of opperationals toying with a seriously brutal cold pool and hitting us full in the face. 

Now to make that verify..... :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, shotski said:

Best slug killers are these, their free and easily attracted. image.thumb.jpg.afdb236c4d527fa974f3ccb60240bd91.jpg

There's frogs toads and slow worms in my garden, probably from the neighbours ponds, but also loads of snails, not sure about slugs though.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Cloudy and dry day here. Some brightness from time to time where the high cloud thinned out a bit but not much else. Huge questions about next week but it is fun to see a couple of opperationals toying with a seriously brutal cold pool and hitting us full in the face. 

Now to make that verify..... :rofl:

Rained here from about 2:00 until about 8:00 seems to be dry now though.