Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted
6 minutes ago, Vesuvius said:

Oh agreed Paul, but the snow will be so heavy I won't be able to get to Hadleigh....

:cold::rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Pretty uninspiring forecast Carol Kirkwood this morning regarding and potential snow later this week.

"Significant snow for the Pennines"

Whoop de doo... 

Bearing in mind her bias for the north of the country though. 

Posted
14 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Bearing in mind her bias for the north of the country though. 

In what way biased? Should she have said 5ft if snow for the south even when it is not clearly on the cards? Perhaps she is saying what might be not what you want. 

Edited by Snipper

Posted

Morning All, Damp, Grey, cool and thats the weather for this morning :) 

Just a few more weeks and i will be getting home from work just around sunset. Cant wait for the first evening dog walk in lighter conditions.

Observations

Observed at 07:00, Tuesday 7 February

Thick Cloud

6°C 43°F

Wind Speed 8 km/h 5 mph South South Easterly

Humidity: 99%

Visibility: Moderate

Pressure: 1012mb, Rising

Observation station: London

(Lat: 51.517 | Lon: -0.1)

Posted
20 minutes ago, Snipper said:

In what way biased? Should she have said 5ft if snow for the south even when it is not clearly on the cards? Perhaps she is saying what might be not what you want. 

It's got nothing to do with that. What an immature reply! 

Carol is known for her bias towards northern areas during non common weather types in the UK - be it cold and snow in winter or hot and sunny in summer. It's only when it comes to the day that she gives a more credible forecast to include other areas. 

Of course she may be right and it's only the Pennines that get snow ~ hence my original post "uninspiring for our neck of the woods, however bear in mind it was Carol K doing the forecast" 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Nice little update from the met over night . Hopefully these small tweaks can go our way I'm optimistic it's better than the last few years anyway.

IMG_5445.PNG

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

It's got nothing to do with that. What an immature reply! 

Carol is known for her bias towards northern areas during non common weather types in the UK - be it cold and snow in winter or hot and sunny in summer. It's only when it comes to the day that she gives a more credible forecast to include other areas. 

Of course she may be right and it's only the Pennines that get snow ~ hence my original post "uninspiring for our neck of the woods, however bear in mind it was Carol K doing the forecast" 

Why should she not consider other areas than the important south? It is after all a national weather forecast. 

• Like 1

Posted

Not quite sure how a weather Presenter can be biased for a certain area of the UK. OK the presenter may show bias to certain conditions, be they heat, cold, storms etc. but they can only present the weather as a forecast they are given. Snipper is right in saying

It is after all a national weather forecast

So maybe instead of knocking a TV presenter for his/her way of presenting, perhaps lets just see how the next few days pan out and rely on the information given from all quaters to make our own minds up as to "will it snow in ????" :) 

Edited by MAF
  • Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, MAF said:

Not quite sure how a weather Presenter can be biased for a certain area of the UK. OK the presenter may show bias to certain conditions, be they heat, cold, storms etc. but they can only present the weather as a forecast they are given. Snipper is right in saying

So maybe instead of knocking a TV presenter for his/her way of presenting, perhaps lets just see how the next few days pan out and rely on the information given from all quaters to make our own minds up as to "will it snow in ????" :) 

"So perhaps knocking folk on their opinions let's just realise that we all have different opinions"

I couldn't care less if you don't think she has bias.. I do.. and I thought so for a long time. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

"So perhaps knocking folk on their opinions let's just realise that we all have different opinions"

I couldn't care less if you don't think she has bias.. I do.. and I thought so for a long time. 

Was not knocking you just puzzled why you thought so. Pity you have been unable to back up your assertion. So be it. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, MAF said:

Well I still can't see how a persons bias can affect the outcome of the weather. but hey ho, each to their own.

At what point to I mention someone's bias will effect the outcome?

I can't believe that ones opinion about a weather forecaster having bias to more extreme weather in a certain part of the UK has wound you up so much? It was a mere comment on how I viewed the TV weather forecast this morning. 

Not because I wanted her to mention 5ft of snow in the SE like the ridiculous comment from snipper but simply viewing carol as I see her. 

Each to their own 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Morning all

The mood seems a bit down in here this morning & i can understand why. 

Cold coming .....Yes

Snow Chances .....Minamal..

Having said that we have to be optamistic as in the past surprizes can pop up at 2-3 hrs...

And wth cold air in place or a slight shift in wind direction can bw the diffrence..

personally i would just be happy wth a couple of inchs of lying snow for a day or 2.. That in its self would be great after 4 years of nothing...

Also im starting to yearn some warmth & sunshine so this cold spell for me is it ..

Posted
7 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Was not knocking you just puzzled why you thought so. Pity you have been unable to back up your assertion. So be it. 

Yes you was... you replied to my original comment bickering that I wanted 5ft of snow. 

Back to the weather: Very damp, drizzly and grey here in Herts. 

Looking forward to things drying out over the next few days. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, craigore said:

Morning all

Cold coming .....Yes

Having said that we have to be optamistic as in the past surprizes can pop up at 2-3 hrs...

And wth cold air in place or a slight shift in wind direction can bw the diffrence..

personally i would just be happy wth a couple of inchs of lying snow for a day or 2.. That in its self would be great after 4 years of nothing...

Also im starting to yearn some warmth & sunshine so this cold spell for me is it ..

Totally agree. 

Cold raw and dry with even just a few flakes/grains beats what is currently out of my window. 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, craigore said:

Morning all

Cold coming .....Yes

Yup i'd agree with that, i think it will be more towards the north east of England that will bear the brunt of any decent snowfall this time, (we need a more of a straight easterly or the holy grail north easterly) although be prepared for surprises to crop up unannounced in the next few days.

Beyond the weekend looks like a brief 'warm up' then beyond that who knows. A Greenland high has touted but plenty to hold our interest going forward for the rest of February

• Like 1

Posted

Exciting few days ahead....living in north Kent I've seen a fair few streamers over the years (usually not forecast until a few hours before)  - im not be adverse to a cheeky streamer at some point ! Am I right in recalling the wind direction needs to have a northerly component to the easterly ? (A straight easterly won't quite do it ?)

fingers crossed

Edited by Honey