Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2017 Thoughts, hopes, wishes, forecasts etc...

Posted
30 minutes ago, cheese said:

I'm sure Summer Sun is not particularly concerned with your 'criticism' - which isn't really criticism but just pointing to someone and saying 'Stop doing that because it's boring'.

You don't have to leave the forum, but you can certainly overlook posts you dislike. It ain't the end of the world. People post stuff I don't like on here every day, but I don't whinge about it. 

I do get completely what your saying but by being honest we improve the quality of the posts on here. 

Me and John are from South Yorkshire maybe we're just a very honest bunch from here and have a different attitude. 

Anyway enough of this im sure many more people find what we're talking about boring

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
10 hours ago, cheese said:

I'm sure Summer Sun is not particularly concerned with your 'criticism' - which isn't really criticism but just pointing to someone and saying 'Stop doing that because it's boring'.

You don't have to leave the forum, but you can certainly overlook posts you dislike. It ain't the end of the world. People post stuff I don't like on here every day, but I don't whinge about it. 

But you did whinge about @inghams85's post and still are, why didn't you just scroll past it if you didn't like it? :oops:

Personally I agree with him, although I personally wouldn't have bothered whinging about it, but neither did I think it was particularly 'rude'. When I read updates on a thread titled "Spring 2017 Thoughts, hopes, wishes, forecasts etc..." I'm hoping to see something more substantial than a short summation of the BBC's forecast for the next week, although I suppose it could fall under the 'forecasts' part of the title. I'd expect more 'personal' thoughts and opinions, not something that is akin to posting a chart in the MOD thread with no comment.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
10 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

21.1c reported in western Scotland making it the warmest day of the year so far

Do you mean for Scotland exclusively? For the UK as a whole, 9th April was warmer, got to 25C in places.

Edited by Relativistic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
3 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

Do you mean for Scotland exclusively? For the UK as a whole, 9th April was warmer, got to 25C in places.

Just Scotland

:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 hours ago, Ravelin said:

But you did whinge about @inghams85's post and still are, why didn't you just scroll past it if you didn't like it? :oops:

Personally I agree with him, although I personally wouldn't have bothered whinging about it, but neither did I think it was particularly 'rude'. When I read updates on a thread titled "Spring 2017 Thoughts, hopes, wishes, forecasts etc..." I'm hoping to see something more substantial than a short summation of the BBC's forecast for the next week, although I suppose it could fall under the 'forecasts' part of the title. I'd expect more 'personal' thoughts and opinions, not something that is akin to posting a chart in the MOD thread with no comment.

I thought it was nice to let Summer Sun know that not everyone on here is a miserable sod.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

Here in the North Pennines on the Cumbria/Northumberland border at just over 400 metres above sea-level we have yet to record any measurable rainfall this month, that being after scarce over an inch of moisture in all-April! Seathwaite in the middle of the Lake District bone dry with no water in the River Derwent that flows past Keswick.....and I predicted that the second half of April and early May would be wetter than usual across the west and north of Britain!

My apologies if folk have relied on this forecast, I got this one a bit wrong, certainly with regards rainfall even though not far out with regional temperatures overall. Although I did explain back in early April that the Circumpolar Vortex weakens in spring/summer and this makes it prone to drastic alteration from quite small-scale underlying influences I should not have got it so wrong only a month in advance: I will certainly need to see where I went wrong with regards to predictions of high and low pressure, affects of sea-surface temperature, ice-cover, etc in order to avoid making such a blunder in future!

There is a consensus for rain in the next week or so, but I don't think I can take much comfort from that because April and the first 12 days of May have so far been exceptionally dry. Basically that means my original prediction is already shot to bits- there are already drought measures in parts of the country!

Edited by iapennell
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, iapennell said:

Here in the North Pennines on the Cumbria/Northumberland border at just over 400 metres above sea-level we have yet to record any measurable rainfall this month, that being after scarce over an inch of moisture in all-April! Seathwaite in the middle of the Lake District bone dry with no water in the River Derwent that flows past Keswick.....and I predicted that the second half of April and early May would be wetter than usual across the west and north of Britain!

My apologies if folk have relied on this forecast, I got this one a bit wrong, certainly with regards rainfall even though not far out with regional temperatures overall. Although I did explain back in early April that the Circumpolar Vortex weakens in spring/summer and this makes it prone to drastic alteration from quite small-scale underlying influences I should not have got it so wrong only a month in advance: I will certainly need to see where I went wrong with regards to predictions of high and low pressure, affects of sea-surface temperature, ice-cover, etc in order to avoid making such a blunder in future!

There is a consensus for rain in the next week or so, but I don't think I can take much comfort from that because April and the first 12 days of May have so far been exceptionally dry. Basically that means my original prediction is already shot to bits- there are already drought measures in parts of the country!

Your forecasts are always appreciated Ian. Do you see the potential drought continuing into Summer?

• Like 1

Posted

Ian, appreciate your candour, but hiccups are to be expected in this game. No one will shoot you down based on one forecast - as ever, I wait with great interest for your summer update and whether this dry period is to be extended well into the next 3 or so months.

• Like 1

Posted

No 25c temps from the beeb now next week might make 20c in the London area with rain Tuesday and Wednesday for central and southern parts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/39904098

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

It looks like many southeastern parts will see the 1st widespread substantial rainfall in quite a while mid week drier in the north

464564.thumb.png.0b0fa3ce21b2e6fba39ebcb9d3f45013.png

Posted

It's looking like a very mild start across the board tomorrow with temps widely in the mid teens

Posted

Gravesend hit 25.8c earlier making it the warmest day of the year in the UK so far

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted

We had 2 bands of rain over the UK this morning one is moving up the east and another is moving through the midlands towards the London area

353453.thumb.png.b83e332b00e46bb32186fe22db0a5df0.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Loved the rain, was great news for my garden but enough for now, roll on Summer.:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!
1 hour ago, snowray said:

Loved the rain, was great news for my garden but enough for now, roll on Summer.:D

I soooo agree, need some sunshine now to lighten the mood, central heating has turned itself back on again today - not good news :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
3 hours ago, interested & confused said:

I soooo agree, need some sunshine now to lighten the mood, central heating has turned itself back on again today - not good news :(

Charts are looking promising for the first time a fair while, so fingers crossed that summer will start very soon.:)

gfs-0-120.png

Edited by snowray
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, snowray said:

Charts are looking promising for the first time a fair while, so fingers crossed that summer will start very soon.:)

gfs-0-120.png

June 1, mate - you can count on it!:D

• Like 1

Posted

I would love it if that high just stuck around over us right through into early June. Not out of the woods yet but a decent looking ECM at D10 there.:D

ECM1-240.gif

ECM0-240.gif

Edited by snowray

Posted

Lovely warmth outside tonight it's nice to have the warm nights back so early in the season

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

My predictions of drought I thought were scuppered with rain in Feb/march but it may just be back on track as we have been very dry here anyway since and I have had to water the garden last week it was so dry !