Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

The big 3 at 96 look fairly similar now:

gfsnh-0-90.pngUN96-21.GIFECH1-96.GIF.png

But then at 120, the ECM looks more the odd one out now to me, the area around southern Greenland:

UN120-21.GIFgfsnh-0-114.pngECH1-120.GIF.png

Pointless going any further out than 120.

My wife has Bi Polar and i can safely say this thread is totally Bi Polar/BPD... i can sell you all some meds if ya like.... just one run tho so bare in mind that the 12z suite could so easy flip back again... (bit like the wife) and as has been said before when the weather is not default zonal we always get these wild swings as the models struggle to get it right... Sure Jan 2013 was a bit like that.. wild swings and plenty of its over posts etc...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
2 minutes ago, IDO said:

Neither the control or mean support the northerly; a big shift towards the op but not as progressive:

gens-0-1-162.pnggens-21-1-162.png

That's an oxymoron IDO surely? How can it be shifting toward the op if it's not as progressive? It's just showing a slightly different variation.

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted

Still some support for the northerly within the GEFS at 168 but tbh the suite as a whole is not convincing. I suspect the opp will be leading the way in the mid term. Heights seem much stronger to our south on many of the ptrbs than we were seeing yesterday. The trend is clearly not our friend at this point.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
22 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Actually I think "bi polar" describes the weather better than this thread or its members. We just go up and down with it. Totally normal if you ask me when reactive to nwp models, which change in the GFS case, 4 times a day! Unhealthy would be a better way to discribe this forum, much like alcohol, but try going  week without either....:nonono:

I myself have learned this year to never get too excited about anything beyond 144, and especially to assess model output as a whole over 12 hour intervals. The other models dont have 06z/18z runs so there is nothing to compare it to at that given time.

EDM101-168.GIF?31-12gens-21-5-168.png?6

The ECM and GFS means still support the Northerly

gfs-12-168.png?6

06z operational is clearly going to be a mild outlier.

A lot of people seem to be convinced that the models have crystal balls.... if the 06z does not even have support from its own ensembles.... how can you use that single model run to write off the next cold spell?

Insanity in my opinion. If the GFS and ECM 12z means both swing away from the northerly, then I would be worried, Until then, pretty much as you were... cold and blocked outlook.

Deep cold and snowy conditions remain a low risk but the possibility is still there. Some snow showers, possibly heavy in some areas, are still possible from this second northerly. the snow may well remain as high pressure is set to take over, could maintain snow cover for days.

Outlook is promising, but nothing set in stone. 

Edited by Zakos
  • Like 5

Posted

Flicking through the individual purbs at 192, that is going to be one pretty ensemble chart when it comes out... scatter springs to mind!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Does that mean that the op and control have exchanged places, within the mass of entangled chaos that exists, past about T+144? :cc_confused:

It does exactly that. As has been said many times before, operational runs beyond T+144 flip and flop and getting excited or otherwise about them really is pointless. There is a 20C range in 850's on the GFS ensembles at day 10 - does that not ring alarm bells about how much credence you should give them.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
55 minutes ago, booferking said:

Thats the same outfit that is going for Northerly to North Easterly this weekend coming with wintry showers spreading South..

That's the one

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Banbury said:

There are several Easterly options in the ENS after 192, don't rule it out ...................yet

Yes there are certainly more cold options than mild, but all quite different. So I remain positive.

• Like 1

Posted

This isn't bad as a statement of where we are day 8 from the 06z gefsIMG_4870.PNG

most favoured spot for the upper ridge centred is just west of the uk and the trough over e Europe.

uncertainy in both directions either side which could be lower or higher heights

• Like 2

Posted

Surprise surprise the op was off on one before the end of the hi res

IMG_5071.GIF

ECM ensembles not looking as good as yesterday 12z it must be said though. Much water to pass under the bridge. Sigh...

IMG_5070.GIFIMG_5072.GIF

Actually they have added -10 to the graphs, which threw me. Perhaps not so bad on closer inspection.

im off for a lie down :whistling::lazy:

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 5

Posted

The "roller coaster" of model watching can be fun at times, especially when trending towards cold and snow.

However, at times like this, with considerable uncertainty, it is best to take a step back and view all model outputs, and not to take anything beyond 144 too seriously from any model output.

The 12z GFS may predict mouth-watering northerlies and easterlies, packed with copious amount of countrywide snowfall.

That it in itself would mean nothing, just as the 06z GFS means nothing. It is a forecast, not a prophecy... It can and will change.

Anyone getting frustrated... try just focusing on output within 144+... it will make the whole process of model watching a lot more clearer and enjoyable.

Edited by Zakos
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, abbie123 said:

So is that it then game over for cold and snow .

No lol, still December. 2/3rds of winter still to come. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, abbie123 said:

So is that it then game over for cold and snow .

h500slp.pngh500slp.png

A horrid 06Z for sure, however 6 hours ago the GFS was going for a northerly where now it wants to bring in a south westerly.

This is only at 168 hours out, the difference between the runs is astounding.

A step back for sure... but with such huge swings in model output I wouldn't take anything seriously from the models to be honest.

Huge differences even at 120, FI is 96 hours in my opinion

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
Just now, Steve Murr said:

Morning All

my last post pre new year - im afraid its over the Ens will catch up this eve -

The GFS is now a carbon copy of the ukmo solution from yesterday with zip cold coming our way

the lesson being once again unless all 3 models show cold the  back the mild one :(

I wish everyone a happy new year !

S

Hi Steve

I read your posts regularly and have learnt a lot from you.however your post has left me some what confused "I'm afraid it over"what is over,nothing has begun has it?

C.S

• Like 7

Posted
13 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Full 06z ens

MT8_London_ens.png

7 runs still go below -10C at some point.

Perspective - I don't think we've had more than about 10 or so members go below that line on any one run.

All that's happened is a few more runs have gone full zonal instead - about 5 yesterday, closer to 10 on this run.

It's the GEFS for crying out loud - it's rarely going to give a 100% consistent signal run after run! Just a general trend. 

Long way to go yet

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 2