Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

It's only a slight chance but it's interesting nonetheless.

That's true. I think I can remember, in the 1980s, when 'blowtorch' long-fetch southerlies almost immediately preceded stonking Beasts-from-the-East? That could of course be false memory syndrome?:D

• Like 1

Posted
21 hours ago, blizzard81 said:

Also remember that the only easterlies that are modelled at day 9 or 10 are the ones that never verify. They are only picked up CORRECTLY at around day 6, sometimes less than 6 days. They are notoriously difficult for the models to predict. For this reason I feel there is plenty of time for upgrades.

Steady as she goes. Today's 12z runs, especially ecm, are an upgrade on yesterday's. I feel there are more to come.

• Like 3

Posted

This trend from the ECM is beginning to remind me of some previous instances where we've seen a sharp fall in the zonal winds.I wonder how many more corrections we can squeeze out of this. With luck enough to give UK coldies some snow at least. Even the misery model is slowly inching westwards with more amplitude after being not interested.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Seen this many times before over the years where the models try to blow away a block to our East but in fact the result is very different. With so much doubt over the eventual outcome it really does surprise me when I see posts claiming that we'll have to wait for mid-Feb before there's any chance of cold or snow. The only justification for that line of thinking is if you take model output at D16 etc at face value which is a huge leap of faith.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Subtle differences between ECM and GFS at 168 (subtle but also significant)

GFSOPEU12_168_1.png

ECMOPEU12_168_1.png

The negative tilt and trough disruption from the Atlantic lows on ECM is a world away from GFS.

If you dig a little deeper and make some assumptions based on the significant mid term changes of the last few days, we could assume that ECM could well progress rather more favourably than the 12z run suggests. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
37 minutes ago, Long haul to mild said:

Seen this many times before over the years where the models try to blow away a block to our East but in fact the result is very different. With so much doubt over the eventual outcome it really does surprise me when I see posts claiming that we'll have to wait for mid-Feb before there's any chance of cold or snow. The only justification for that line of thinking is if you take model output at D16 etc at face value which is a huge leap of faith.

The problem for me is that I don't see as much potential in those charts as others do:

ECH1-192 (1).gifECH0-192.gif

Why? Because the GEFS have been keen to draw the trop PV back to NE Canada from D8-16 as the GEFS mean highlights:

gensnh-21-1-384 (3).png

That suggests little hope of retrogression of that high far enough west to benefit the UK. In fact it is the worse case scenario with that Pacific forcing coming into play. With the GFS putting back the SSW till early Feb at the earliest we cannot afford the trop long wave pattern to reflect that D16 mean.That block as it sits at D6 is nice if you like settled weather, again in the SE for a few days in a row highs were 6.5c but feeling warmer in the sunshine, whilst the CET keeps moving up, now 1.7c above average for Jan, so this setup is not really cold (though frosts in my region). Maybe others see it different...

Edited by IDO
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Response of output now' evaluating' evolution. 

10hpa fluxing having response via-run to run output. 

Pv as-other output in general having deterministic dramas..ie- scope/expansion/ placement of heights. Ssw looking to be taking signal' down to raw model/models. 

This without mention of the above mentioned HP mid term exactions.

All in all the most any zonality/mobility. .can ve considered is at best a blip.

An overide' of cold-v-cold synoptic s in output is surely all' but inevitable. 

Winter chances are best as back loaded! 

gfsnh-10-300.png

ECH1-216-6.gif

gfsnh-12-204.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow

GEFS pointless after 144hrs IDO.

Any trend in the high resolution is forgotten when into low resolution. 

Each run has kept a continental influence longer over the 48 hours, ECM and GFS

Shame there isn't a weather cash-out option when the ensembles flip to cold. Each GEFS is here and gone in a flash prediction wise, more so in winter time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain
On 15/01/2017 at 09:27, danthetan said:

Where we go after 120hrs for me is anyones guess, it all seems to hinge on what happens to the trough in the Atlantic around 144hrs. ECM pulls all the energy over the top off the high sitting over the UK, UKMO seems to send most of the energy over the top but some underneath and GFS more or less splits it sending enough energy to at least drag colder air in for a time before pushing the high back into Europe, all these options go on to produce very different outcomes in the latter stages of GFS & ECM. With that in mind we know how the models always struggle to gauge the strength of any such blocking high so for me i need to see some consistency from the models around the 144 hr period before knowing which way were heading.

With reference to my post on Sunday about the (blocking high) we can see the models were underestimating the resilience of the high pressure and has extended the time we are being influenced by it. It will be very interesting to see if the block can sustain the Atlantic attempts at breaking through next week and as hinted by ECM tonight, maybe send some energy under the block. Interestingly while looking for my post on Sunday I came across this attached chart from 1991 someone had posted, quite interesting how close it is to GFS 12z chart for next Tuesday theres hope yet.

archivesnh-1991-1-15-0-0.png.9644740bbd4d4f5d54c590de80f53b20.png

gfsnh-0-114.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!
14 minutes ago, Paceyboy said:

GEFS pointless after 144hrs IDO.

Any trend in the high resolution is forgotten when into low resolution. 

Each run has kept a continental influence longer over the 48 hours, ECM and GFS

Shame there isn't a weather cash-out option when the ensembles flip to cold. Each GEFS is here and gone in a flash prediction wise, more so in winter time.

Agree. If the models are underestimating the strength of the block in the reliable, which is quite possible, then the low res ensembles are hardly likely to show anything other than a return to default UK weather in winter.  

It may be my perception but most cold spells I can remember pop up at about T168, often from nowhere. Therefore, although probability suggests that a zonal mean at T384 may end up being correct, it doesn't mean it will necessarily come to pass.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
51 minutes ago, IDO said:

The problem for me is that I don't see as much potential in those charts as others do:

ECH1-192 (1).gifECH0-192.gif

Why? Because the GEFS have been keen to draw the trop PV back to NE Canada from D8-16 as the GEFS mean highlights:

gensnh-21-1-384 (3).png

That suggests little hope of retrogression of that high far enough west to benefit the UK. In fact it is the worse case scenario with that Pacific forcing coming into play. With the GFS putting back the SSW till early Feb at the earliest we cannot afford the trop long wave pattern to reflect that D16 mean.That block as it sits at D6 is nice if you like settled weather, again in the SE for a few days in a row highs were 6.5c but feeling warmer in the sunshine, whilst the CET keeps moving up, now 1.7c above average for Jan, so this setup is not really cold (though frosts in my region). Maybe others see it different...

Sometimes the op will lead the ens, and this ultimately makes the long term mean futile and meaningless, and for me we have been seeing this in the past few days with regard to the delayed onset of what looked like a nailed on Zonal/milder push from the Atlantic if you believed the ensembles.

Without the 12Z ECM op, id have said the building Scandi ridge (which has been the reason the Atlantic has been held back) was much more likely to topple with so much energy going over the top and little sign of any undercut.

However with the subtle hints from the ECM12Z edging towards some energy disrupting and heading south east i would hold back on making any assumptions based on a day16 mean chart from GFS.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Tbh' anything -144hrs is at best a diluted probability/impossibility. 

There is at present model mismanagement' via strat/trop response. .

Let alone the persistance of the wobbling' euro/uk/scandi block.

And yes that's a crazy evaluation'of mentioned. .much as miss' interpreted model synoptic s....AT PRESENT. 

ECH101-144.gif

Edited by tight isobar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
21 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Beginning to see the extended eps pushing lower height anomolies to our south over w France and Iberia - this opens up the possibilities of further trough disruption and the control is a good example of this as systems post the day 10 (which is very close to the op) disrupt against blocking to our ne 

all bets are off !

I do like it when you bring good news:D

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
17 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

A long long time ago in1991 there was not a lot happening a high slap bang over us on the 13th

archivesnh-1991-1-13-0-0.png

Bit like now

Who needs an SSW?

That's a great post Winterof.  I'm not big on pattern matching but it can't be denied some of the similarities are there for all to see! 

• Like 8

Posted
28 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

A long long time ago in1991 

Who needs an SSW?

Thing is though, there was an SSW. Almost exactly the same as the one being modelled now... :wink:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
1 minute ago, bobbydog said:

Thing is though, there was an SSW. Almost exactly the same as the one being modelled now... :wink:

Yes Bobby dog I have edited my post to suit:wink:

• Like 1

Posted

Wasn't the 1991 cold spell preceded by weeks of anticyclonic gloom?

The longer we stick with the cap we have, the better imo

• Like 1

Posted

Another day, and well more of the same, models continue to show no real change in the reliable, anticyclonic holding supreme against a rather ineffective atlantic - which is once again shown to only displace the high in about 8 days time - well beyond the reliable, and by the looks of things, it doesn't look like it would herald a sustained potent atlantic attack, rather one low pressure system probably anchoring itself to our NW, quickly being forced away to the NE with the ridge pushing back in from the south.. the story of the winter.

There is a chance of some trough disruption in the reliable timeframe, something that the models will struggle to pick up if it occurs until the nearer timescale.

In the immediate - quite an unusual synoptic at present, a high pressure system with a slow moving front trapped within - that has been static for 3 days running, and very odd in its nature, with a cold front on its western axis and a warm front on its eastern axis, marking the demarcation between cold clear air over southern england, and milder overcast air over northern england, and instead of sinking south or simply fizzling it now wants to move northwards, so cold will arrive into northern england over next 24 hours and over the weekend we have the threat of some sleety snowy flakes from it - all rather strange.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

http://www.meteo.mcgill.ca/~pmartineau/updated_graphs/svw_anim/all_gif/1991_01_28

The Merra data says it wasnt but its data min was at 4.5M/S @10HPA over 60N so near as dammit...

I posted some comparison charts this morning. The warming that's forecast is almost identical to the one in '91. Even the dates are within a day or two. If that's what a "near as dammit" warming can do, I'll take it! :good:

• Like 6