Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

The second week of January is looking quite cold on the London ensemble graph

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

We can see that this stems from the further Atlantic ridging next week end which looks likely to develop another northerly.

ECM mean day7

EDH1-168 (1).gif

What follows after remains open with options from an an Easterly to  a UK high.

We are still waiting for solid signs of a snowy/north easterly/easterly to establish but never say never in this pattern.For the moment  a blocked Atlantic still seems the ongoing theme with continuing bouts of amplification of the jet  and a good build up bitter cold over much of Europe.The question is can we improve on this cold but essentially quite dry outlook,apart from these glancing northerlies.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

An increasingly wintry looking GEFS 6z mean for the second half of next week, and that follows the short but sweet Northerly on sun / Mon!:)..looking good!:cold-emoji:

21_48_500mb.png

21_168_500mb.png

21_192_500mb.png

21_216_500mb.png

• Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Looking at the ECMWF - GFS - CMC 168 hour to 240 hour 500mb height means below and they generally keep the UK cool or cold with blocking in the mid Atlantic and some troughing 

IMG_9332.GIF

Pretty much along the same lines as the main operational models at that time frame with their renewed amplification in the Atlantic beyond 144 hours. 

Er that's because they are the operationals days 6/10 !

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SteveB said:

I've been checking back through the CET since 1679 and can't find any that have had a bitterly cold Jan after a mild December, We will have to set a new trend if we want to see a cold Jan!

But have you factored in the well below average November? 1C below average. If we're looking for patterns then it was a very blocked month and that, I think, may, repeat may, have presaged the current synoptics.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
12 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Ah okay, fair enough! :) (Suppose I should have been a bit more careful there)

• Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Not the total story ba as you know. These have been less consistent (the anomaly charts) than their NOAA equivalent, it has shown the cold spell about to start consistently about 4-5 days ago, see a post I did at the time. NOAA 6-10 and 8-14 has also been consistent in showing a fairly marked meridional flow, not something the synoptic models have consistently (note the word) over the same time period. Well not judging by the antics of some in here.

Not a dig anyone just a statement of what the anomaly charts have shown, NOAA at any rate for anout a week.

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Not the total story ba as you know. These have been less consistent (the anomaly charts) than their NOAA equivalent, it has shown the cold spell about to start consistently about 4-5 days ago, see a post I did at the time. NOAA 6-10 and 8-14 has also been consistent in showing a fairly marked meridional flow, not something the synoptic models have consistently (note the word) over the same time period. Well not judging by the antics of some in here.

Not a dig anyone just a statement of what the anomaly charts have shown, NOAA at any rate for anout a week.

John, they are the mean of days 6/10 on the ops so of course they will look like the op run? That's what I was pointing out to DRL. 

The 6/10 and 8/14 NOAA CPC are different in that they are generally derived from ens means/anomolies  blended together as the forecaster deems fit 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Much deeper cut off low, can't remember now if that's better. Stops the high sinking?

gfs-0-84.png?12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Different again with the Azores trough and energy from the heights; a move towards the UKMO 0z run:

UW96-21.gifgfs-0-90.png

Edited by IDO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 minutes ago, IDO said:

Different again with the Azores trough and energy from the heights; a move towards the UKMO 0z run:

UW96-21.gifgfs-0-90.png

You're right, this looks dicey

gfsnh-0-102.png?12

Just watch the UKMO go towards the earlier GFS solution though...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Looks to my untrained eye that the gfs is moving towards the ukmo. Wouldnt surprise me if ukmo went towards gfs shortly. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
9 minutes ago, terrier said:

Looks to my untrained eye that the gfs is moving towards the ukmo. Wouldnt surprise me if ukmo went towards gfs shortly. 

13 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

You're right, this looks dicey

gfsnh-0-102.png?12

Just watch the UKMO go towards the earlier GFS solution though...

SNAP...............bye off to pub.

Edited by Fozfoster
Drinks
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, terrier said:

Blast of WAA about to head towards west Greenland should keep the GFS on track and much better than the earlier UKMO

Posted
1 minute ago, terrier said:

Personally I think they are like for like......................which is what your saying ????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I keep saying it is not the pattern upstream that is the issue with UKMO, it is ho it handles the closed low to our South. So long as that does not move North up the Western flank of our ridge and phase with the trough we will at least get the second Northerly, upstream will just dictate how amplified.

Here is GFS with that low further West and deeper than previous runs and moving it up the Western flank - iif this happens it then becomes a race to close it off with the ridge building toward Greenland. If it gets closed off we are good, if it breaks through then we have UKMO type scenario.

gfsnh-0-96.png?12

Ideally we want that low to push East and exit on East flank of the ridge and phase with Euro trough or just stay trapped and phase later once the Atlantic ridge is in place.

126 flirting with a UKMO type solution but may just close the low off.

gfsnh-0-126.png?12

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yep a definite shift towards the UKMO of the past few runs. 

It has all gone a bit Pete Tong at 126 hours with that ridge (rather than retrogressing out west of us) slips back S through the UK

gfsnh-0-126.png?12

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yep a definite shift towards the UKMO of the past few runs. 

It has all gone a bit Pete Tong at 126 hours with that ridge (rather than retrogressing out west of us) slips back S through the UK

gfsnh-0-126.png?12

But you cant say its gone wrong until the full set is out LOL.....................this could be COMPLETELY on its own in the ENS .................patience is needed to evaluate the whole of the 12z

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Maybe something even better springing up. Is that a scandy high developing? 

gfs-0-138.png?12