Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
6 minutes ago, MrNooo said:

You spend all winter searching for charts such as these and when they appear in FI (which is what they are) some of you dismiss them in an instant, you couldn't make it up.

I think some are just cautious after having their fingers burnt all winter. We've seen some epic charts but nothing has come to fruition yet. (Except obviously the poverty rain/snow event this Thursday/Friday.)

Hopefully these charts are still showing in a few days time.. this forum will be in meltdown :cold:

• Like 5

Posted

Precip charts for easterly on the 12Z ECM look quite light during the period of cold uppers. Though there are some streamers going inland at times, it's mostly light coastal stuff. Of course it's deep FI and subject to lots of change. Impossible to forecast snow this far out.

l9uKr0A.gif

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, radiohead said:

Precip charts for easterly on the 12Z ECM look quite light during the period of cold uppers. Though there are some streamers going inland at times, it's mostly light coastal stuff. Of course it's deep FI and subject to lots of change. Impossible to forecast snow this far out.

l9uKr0A.gif

Do you have precip charts for Friday? Hopefully ECM is still showing that secondary low.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
15 minutes ago, snowice said:

I need new fingers :shok:. Thread moving so fast. Great ECM,As Frosty has said.  First cold blast in 48hrs,all the talk of the easterly I nearly forget the upcoming ONE:cold:

Yes let's not overlook the initial cold blast, there could be some serious snow up north and most of us should see wintry ppn and very cold frosty / icy nights..even talking about significant wind-chill factor making it feel sub-zero. The Northerly followed by an Easterly would be a dream come true and would make up for last winter's horrors!. Fingers and toes crossed that the Ecm trend will be our friend :D

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
3 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Do you have precip charts for Friday? Hopefully ECM is still showing that secondary low.

ECM not making anything of the secondary low at present and also takes the Depreesion on Friday in a little too far East

170110_1200_51.png

170110_1200_66.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
27 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

NCEP just updated. Good news.

SO OVERALL...THE 12Z AND 00Z ECMWF APPEAR TO BE THE BEST FIT
OVERALL TO THE PREFERENCE AT ALL FORECAST HOURS...BUT THE 12Z
UKMET/CMC LOOK REASONABLY SIMILAR TO THE ECMWF. CONFIDENCE IS ONLY
AVERAGE GIVEN MODEST CHANGES FROM RUN TO RUN AND MODERATE ENSEMBLE
SPREAD.

Thankfully no room for the GFS! Remember this is just the short term but crucially this is where the differences start with the GFS and effect events  in the ne USA and ne Canada and downstream the ridge in the Atlantic.

Who actually writes this analysis? And why do they insist on using capital letters throughout? I assume it is from an individual senior forecaster interpreting what they see from the data suites, something comparable to the UKMET, which is worth looking at, though the use of capitals does annoy me!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Who actually writes this analysis? And why do they insist on using capital letters throughout? I assume it is from an individual senior forecaster interpreting what they see from the data suites, something comparable to the UKMET, which is worth looking at, though the use of capitals does annoy me!!

They're from NOAA. NOAA organisations have traditionally used capital letters, all to do with how their forecasts used to be transmitted via telegram I believe, and even some of their existing communications can only deal with caps. They are finally and gradually starting to use lower case letters now though! (Those who are interested in US storms will have noticed it in the SPC outlooks).

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 8

Posted
8 minutes ago, stewfox said:

Greenland has gone green !!! on 20 Jan

ecm500.240.png

Blue 18 Jan

ecm500.168.png

Blue Mauve 15 Jan 

ecm500.120.png

I recall Green 14 Jan 1963

Rrea00119630114.gif

13 Dec 2010

Rrea00120101213.gif

15 feb 1986

Rrea00119860215.gif

How very dare you miss this Bad Boy :wink:

archives-1979-1-18-0-0.png

• Like 5

Posted
14 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

@Seasonality - The control isnt bias corrected its run ( IIRC ) at the same lower resolution as the ensembles without any pterbation bias -which is different to the known bias of the OP as that bias isnt deliberate, the ENS are-

I wonder how many people know ALL the ENS have bias applied at T0 !!

Heres the UKMO 168-

EASTERLY!!

IMG_1443.PNG

S

That is the ECM 168 chart, Steve.

This is the UKMO 168 chart:

Capture.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
5 minutes ago, chris55 said:

To answer the capitals bit, forecasts produced for operational requirements, such as for the military, have this format as well. I think it is just a policy standard dating back for producing internal messages using Teletype machine.

Nick beat me to it :D

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

They're from NOAA. NOAA organisations have traditionally used capital letters, all to do with how their forecasts used to be transmitted via telegram I believe, and even some of their existing communications can only deal with caps. They are finally and gradually starting to use lower case letters now though!

Lol nick  i do believe what you say is true although they have only been using capitals for six months before that it was a series of dots and dashes . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
5 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

How very dare you miss this Bad Boy :wink:

archives-1979-1-18-0-0.png

That doesn't look like a  'Greenland' to me ?

should-have-gone-to-specsavers.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, Iceberg said:

Are stunning ecm ens mean at t168. Just stunning with the vertical west waa and under cut. 

IMG_0707.GIF

Awesome ENS mean, surely some stunning members and massive support

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

ECM ens

EDM1-144.GIF?10-0   EDM1-192.GIF?10-0   EDM1-240.GIF?10-0

EDM101-144.GIF?10-0   EDM101-192.GIF?10-0   EDM101-240.GIF?10-0

Best set of ens yet, we do try to get an easterly even on the mean and it remains cold throughout though mainly settled. There are probably some mean easterlies in the set. Signs of potential retrogression perhaps at day 10, this shown more on the anomaly charts. Low heights over central/southern Europe potentially migrating westwards too.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

Fantastic ECM again but can anyone remember which Model was most on the money when the 2010 cold/snow spell when it started counting it down from about 10 days out I believe?? 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, stewfox said:

That doesn't look like a  'Greenland' to me ?

should-have-gone-to-specsavers.jpg

Apologies it was a few days later

archivesnh-1979-1-25-0-0.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

ECM ens

EDM1-144.GIF?10-0   EDM1-192.GIF?10-0   EDM1-240.GIF?10-0

Best set of ens yet, we do try to get an easterly even on the mean and it remains cold throughout though mainly settled. There are probably some mean easterlies in the set. Signs of potential retrogression perhaps at day 10.

Finally heights drop in Europe, and low and behold we have cold potential. Cracking few days it has been. Retrogression would just top it off..

• Like 5