Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
Just now, TSNWK said:

And yesterday it was all 51 members supporting a E'ly in my view too much credence is given to these tweets, which appear to flip flop like a fish out of water, several times a day - rather disingenuous to folk who spend tine and effort detailing their thoughts, offering charts etc.

Ensembles often flip from one idea to another within the space of a run. For our island the models dont cover themselves in glory. Has always been the case. Partly though its the size of our country and the fact we are not part of a large landmass. Minor differences in the output can have a large effect on the weather we end up with.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
5 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

And yesterday it was all 51 members supporting a E'ly in my view too much credence is given to these tweets, which appear to flip flop like a fish out of water, several times a day - rather disingenuous to folk who spend tine and effort detailing their thoughts, offering charts etc.

Agreed, ensembles are fickle and support can easily grow again..this ain't over!:D

• Like 6

Posted
9 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Lol, that's because the model output changes several times a day and the chap only seems to talk about what they show.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

For what it may be worth, or not! The 3 anomaly charts have two with the upper ridge centred ENE of the Uk with one having a ridge about the same but with its centre of gravity of the fairly smallish +ve anomaly just NW of Ireland.

links

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/fxus06.html

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

That suggests to me that, whichever of those solutions comes to pass, there'll be no 'mild mush' any time soon...On the contrary, in areas with lying snow, very low nighttime minima and freezing fog might be more the order of the day?:cold-emoji:

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

Before people start laying into Matt for posting about all of yesterdays ECM members showing an easterly - does this morning's ECM not show an easterly? Yes it does:

ECM1-192.GIF?11-12

People were just getting over-hyped with the cold 850s shown yesterday. The problem I think we will have is the cold pool of air will be removed before the easterly sets in - so while it will be cold, it won't be as cold as previously shown. Stop getting those knickers in a twist, and go with what's showing. It's not zonal, we are in the middle of winter, and there are some good blocks being put down.

The risk, if it can be said to be one, is that the colder air stops in France and also sinks a little further south. The GEFS are showing this scenario, but no idea if it is right. Still plenty of time for upgrades/downgrades, though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
6 minutes ago, jvenge said:

The risk, if it can be said to be one, is that the colder air stops in France and also sinks a little further south. The GEFS are showing this scenario, but no idea if it is right. Still plenty of time for upgrades/downgrades, though.

I think also that the key point to make, if we get to the stage of heights to our NE like that, is whether they eventually sink into Europe again, hold firm to allow potential retrogression, sit over the UK, or move further north to allow colder air to start flooding through Europe again and then westwards. As usual many options on the table can come from this. Whilst people may be a little dismayed at the lacklustre easterly uppers at first, it is the overall pattern going forward that I am more interested in. Fingers crossed and I will be happy unless slugs start making a comeback.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 6

Posted

Anyway, a lot of attention should be focussed on tomorrow, it's an upgrading situation in terms of classic rain to sleet to heavy wet snow across the south, the southeast could be the sweet spot tomorrow with a spell of heavy snow and several inches accumulating!

• Like 9

Posted
5 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Anyway, a lot of attention should be focussed on tomorrow, it's an upgrading situation in terms of classic rain to sleet to heavy wet snow across the south, the southeast could be the sweet spot tomorrow with a spell of heavy snow and several inches accumulating!

I know its not the most accurate but gfs doesnt predict much lying snow for most of England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way
5 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

I would love to get excited Frosty but its hard to imagine it will lay, today its 11.5oc and tomorrow when they say it will snow its forecast the temperature to be 7oc

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, MKN said:

I know its not the most accurate but gfs doesnt predict much lying snow for most of England.

It's about potential, the risk has grown since yesterday of disruptive snow developing in the south / southeast tomorrow..a forecasting nightmare which will come down to nowcasting, it's happened before..if I lived in the south I would be getting excited about tomorrow's potential.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted
17 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

After a cm or so of rain beforehand, it would have to go some to settle Frosty? I will take just seeing it fall to be honest!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

06z for Thursday 12 -1-17

Forum Meltdown - server overload.

Do the Mods have a contingency plan?

uksnowrisk.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, Iceaxecrampon said:

06z for Thursday 12 -1-17

Forum Meltdown - server overload.

Do the Mods have a contingency plan?

uksnowrisk.png

I can see this developing into quite some snow storm for a few areas just a feeling but watch out for some met office warnings adjustments around 11pm

Posted

Only a small move but the 06z is slightly more amplified which will again edge it slightly towards the ECM, whilst no initial Easterly feed lets see if it shows anything closer towards day 7/8 ish for the far South.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well it will either be 7C in the southeast or there will be a decent snow event, not both. As ever, this will be a now casting event and as has always been the case, altitude will be key and temperatures will be lower the further north and west.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

06z starting to develop an Easterly feed, more amplified high, low over Europe backing Westwards. Good start to this mornings runs

gfsnh-0-150.png

• Like 8