Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted

Cant post pictures but the GEFS mean at 108 is better than the Op with the cold hanging on way better - could be some epic ENS, and the best set by far this year hopefully.  

• Like 1

Posted

Regarding the snow potential for the next few days   it just shows how hard it is to nail down the specifics   although not HI res  the control brings quite a bit of snow for the majority of England on Fritter friday

gens-0-2-78.png

gens-0-2-78.png

gens-0-2-72.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Great output this morning. Gfs comes kicking and screaming towards the euros. But I remain cautious as easterly are a fickle beast to get in the uk. Even seen these go belly up a t72. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
7 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I'm really in two minds now about what evolution would get us to the best point. The ECM is far safer, the GFS less but that type of evolution with the shortwave cutting se'wards and ridge building in from the ne generally has the better chance of the high further north. But its just this shortwave business which is driving me a bit nuts!

Perhaps we should have a thread vote? In the interests of model democracy I'll support which solution is the winner and cheer it on!

Nice to have a choice for once nick

gfs or ecm

Posted
1 minute ago, Luke Attwood said:

Well the control is way off the mark,with the high collapsing into southern Europe... Mmmm

Nah - the control is only ever with looking at when it shows a cold solution !

Posted

MMMMM, not there yet - by 192 the GFS Op looks like the coldest and best looking set up, hopefully because it's the most powerful model and not because it's incorrect.  I still think more runs are needed until both the ENS are on board - or not.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Incredible consistency from ECM, the evolution to a Scandi high pressure looks to be fairly well nailed down now, the only question being does it get far enough north. Not sure it would quite make it on UKMO

Love the lows swinging up from the south west on FI 6z, classic Atlantic v Scandi high battleground, which can bring copious falls of snow to central and southern England, especially if the front stalls and doesn't get too far north.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
Just now, Ali1977 said:

MMMMM, not there yet - by 192 the GFS Op looks like the coldest and best looking set up, hopefully because it's the most powerful model and not because it's incorrect.  I still think more runs are needed until both the ENS are on board - or not.

Most powerful model?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

GEFS still not going for the easterly solution. High further south like the previous GFS runs with the easterly over northern Italy apart from one or two members. Not too much worry though, rather the op showing it, higher res too.

On to the 12z's...

Posted
1 minute ago, snowbob said:

Nice to have a choice for once nick

gfs or ecm

True but we don't want a halfhearted solution, that's the issue I have with the GFS 06hrs run. The shortwave cutting se'wards has to eject cleanly from the energy associated with the elongated PV. You want either full steam ahead with the GFS trend or just the strong vertical as possible ridge with the ECM. At this point I'm minded to back the ECM because its got more margin for error as long as you get the strong ridge to the ne. I maybe over worrying but many of the old timers in here will understand why.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Most powerful model?

Yeah I was wondering that when I wrote it, I believe the Op is more accurate than the ENS therefore more trustworthy - but as a whole package the ENS maybe have a better handle of things.  I'm sure someone can explain better than me.  Anyway, it's still looking good.

Highest resolution , thanks that is what I meant...

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Yeah I was wondering that when I wrote it, I believe the Op is more accurate than the ENS therefore more trustworthy - but as a whole package the ENS maybe have a better handle of thinks.  I'm sure someone can explain better than me.  Anyway, it's still looking good.

Highest resolution , thanks that is what I meant...

Easterly evolutions need the higher resolution especially if you're dealing with the GFS shortwave. The fact that so many ECM ensemble members are on board is probably because they're going with the less complex evolution like the op run. You also have to factor in the GEFS bias as they will be more likely to push too much energy over the block.

I should add that if the op drops the easterly then normally its game over even if the ensembles still show a lot of support for it because most of our easterly failures have been in relation to a shortwave tragedy and at closer range the op would handle that better. Anyway lets think positive there is a strong signal for high pressure to the east/ne and our luck is due a change.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

gfs-0-168.png?6gfs-0-162.png?12gfs-0-156.png?18gfs-0-150.pnggfs-0-144.png?6

0degisotherm.png0degisotherm.png

GFS forecast evolution for monday over the last 24 hours.

GFS has been embarrassingly poor in the medium range, how can we trust any output past day 5 when it has made westward corrections every single run for the last 48 hours?

• Like 8

Posted

The GEFS are slightly worrying, a bit of an uptick from the 0z ensembles despite the much better OP run. Not that I value the ensembles that much in energy splitting situations you need the highest resolution possible, still a slight worry mind you.

Lots of them have the high getting squashed into Europe with even the south missing out on the easterly, mind you the GFS has been pretty useless just lately so maybe not having it fully on board is a blessing in disguise:rofl:

• Like 7