Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
2 minutes ago, radiohead said:

With -16 uppers poking into Greece.... :wallbash:

gfs-0-336_enl8.png

Bet we would be absolutely freezing under that high. Any body post any temps?

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

There  is but it's painfully slow and will be weak compared to the previous run. Rather closer to the ECM script I think although I expect it has the split flow a bit lopsided later on

The easterly is to our south. High on top of us. Maybe the meto are bang on with their outlook.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
Just now, mountain shadow said:

Whilst we endlessly search for a Greenland High, the Greeks love a UK one.

I doubt it.. Greece's good weather is one of its few selling points right now. The last thing Athens needs is a blanket of snow driving away northern Europeans looking for some warmth! 

But yes, I'm sure we'd see some very cold nights under that high. Similar to what we've been seeing recently.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

I do feel the 18z will be not too far off the mark to be honest. Would be typical as the 18z is usually fit for the bin.

Seriously why ?? 

Very OTT post.  You seriously think the latter stages of deep Fi will verify????

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

hgt300.png hgt300.png

Ironically there's both a weaker jet and a less sharp ridge upstream. A bit contradictory but this is a split jet situation the models are trying to get to grips with after all - notoriously tricky for them to pin down. In fact I've been impressed by the willingness of GFS to consider how the southern arm of the jet might come into play, albeit only intermittently on the det. runs.

For what it's worth, I believe the 18z places things too much 'in the balance' for the inherent bias toward the northern jet arm to be subdued this time around. It's GFS sniffing at the ECM way forward but not committing strongly enough to overcome it's own foibles. Just my opinion, mind.

However - historical cases and as BA has recently conveyed the 12z EPS suggest we should not be all that surprised if the main thrust of the easterly ends up to our south and we experience 'fringe' conditions which tend to be more notably cold at the surface than at the 850's level... limiting wintry shower activity, hence the historical predominance of dry over snowy easterlies for much of the UK (and even in the southeast it's a bit hit-and-miss).

Either way though, we'll have a great setup for a wave-2 assault on the stratospheric vortex;

npst30.png npst30.png

The 12z happened to have better poleward ridges all-round (not just to our NE) so it was a particularly good run as far as the wave-2 attack is concerned.

Having said all that, this potential for early-mid Jan is by far the most tangible so I'm willing to play for it i.e. my sense of belief that something notable could transpire has lifted itself off the floor. No details on timing or snow amounts though!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

ecm500.192.pngh500slp.png

A lot of focus on the long range output. Though it is very promising, I do believe we could see widespread snow from this second northerly.

Comparing the ECM and GFS at 192, looks like enough uncertainty remains for widespread snowfall to potentially be a threat?

hgt500-1000.png

Certainly looks like it may be more potent that the first northerly

Edited by Zakos
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Not a done yet with that high push the high north we go in to a easterly more changes to come .

IMG_0125.PNG

Edited by abbie123
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, radiohead said:

Accumulated snow by T384. Even Crete gets a blanket of a few cm....

gfs-16-384_thw7.png

It will be interesting to see if there is a trend towards a UK high on the 18Z GEFS.

The northerly also delivers the north of the country with modest amounts of snow and thats the 6th Jan.

gfs-16-192.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
8 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

Bet we would be absolutely freezing under that high. Any body post any temps?

Cold for continental Europe for sure. Nothing exceptional but certainly pleasantly cold.

tempresult_svo4.gif

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Bolton67 said:

Seriously why ?? 

Very OTT post.  You seriously think the latter stages of deep Fi will verify????

I am talking medium term, first 10 days of Jan - high likely to be centred over the UK and easterly running to our south through France. A near miss for the UK. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
15 minutes ago, radiohead said:

With -16 uppers poking into Greece.... :wallbash:

gfs-0-336_enl8.png

We had them 10 hours ago, we can ask Gfs 0z to bring them back tomorrow . 

eyes.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
13 minutes ago, cheese said:

I doubt it.. Greece's good weather is one of its few selling points right now. The last thing Athens needs is a blanket of snow driving away northern Europeans looking for some warmth! 

But yes, I'm sure we'd see some very cold nights under that high. Similar to what we've been seeing recently.

If not colder tbh with total respect to your post.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

the EC ens are out,more clustering trending colder mid to long term,ECM a mild outlier on the 5th

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

better control run this time at 192hrs with a strait northerly blast.

gensnh-0-1-192.png

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS ensembles are out tot he end of high res and steady as she goes with roughly the same minority of members leaning more toward UKMO - about 65% for strong ridge/Northerly and another 15% for flatter ridge and Northerly.

• Like 5

Posted
12 minutes ago, Singularity said:

For what it's worth, I believe the 18z places things too much 'in the balance' for the inherent bias toward the northern jet arm to be subdued this time around. It's GFS sniffing at the ECM way forward but not committing strongly enough to overcome it's own foibles. Just my opinion, mind.

It would be great if you could expand on this a little, as I can't quite get my head around your thinking. Are you saying that there is an inherent bias in the GFS to concentrate on development of the northern arm of the jet (in this set of data) but it is "testing the waters", so to speak, in trying to subdue that route and try something else?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

the EC ens are out,more clustering trending colder mid to long term,ECM a mild outlier on the 5th

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

Yes, EC 32 suggests 1 to 2c below normal for the CET region for 3 weeks. Is it time to try another low figure for the competition or will it all change like this month.