Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
11 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Great minds think alight:friends:

I do hope you mean 'alike', Timbo...Self-immolation could be a tad premature - the ECM is not that bad!:laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Wouldn't mind that if we cant have snow, I wonder if Nick L or Ian know what windspeeds are like on the SW Flank of that, it could deepen even further by the time it hits land judging by the track, the bad news is the very strongest winds would be too far North for me to be able to experience hurricane force winds.

Well over 100mph - the purple is around 105mph

ECU4-240.GIF?12-0

• Like 3

Posted

Well finally something to talk about in the outputs. Hardly earth shattering but looking towards the Pacific region just the first signs of a bit more amplitude in the flow.

Some bizarre upper air temps shown. You have some +8s towards Scandi and colder uppers over north Africa. Those Iberian low heights and ridge from Russia combine to prevent the PV over Greenland inflicting a mild sw'erly flow. There is some trough disruption but not enough with the current strength of that PV.

Still too far out to know what Christmas prospects might be but certainly not time to throw the towel in yet.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

Well over 100mph - the purple is around 105mph

ECU4-240.GIF?12-0

Yep, a very unusually large swathe of 100mph+ gusts out at sea. Very nasty.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Good evening the charts are pretty much the same as earlier.

Mid lat block cool surface temperature possible frost at night not a chance the zonal train come in at least 10 days or more.

I wouldn't rule out a southeast flow around Christmas. 

But let's not forget it can get pretty cold from the northwest at times and even westerly winds can be cold.

And the stronger build of heights idea is a very interesting observation.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Nick L said:

Yep, a very unusually large swathe of 100mph+ gusts out at sea. Very nasty.

Would they be similar at surface level? should be very strong still shouldn't they? - an absolute cracker of a storm.

Posted
13 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Wouldn't mind that if we cant have snow, I wonder if Nick L or Ian know what windspeeds are like on the SW Flank of that, it could deepen even further by the time it hits land judging by the track, the bad news is the very strongest winds would be too far North for me to be able to experience hurricane force winds.

No thanks, last Christmas was ruined by the terrible floods for a lot of people, that  on ECM happening just before Christmas. :nonono:

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 9

Posted
12 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

No thanks, last Christmas was ruined by the terrible floods for a lot of people, that  on ECM happening just before Christmas. :nonono:

Prefer snow by miles but would rather have severe weather of any type than nothingness bland, frost would be ok if it was severe like Dec 1991 in the midlands,

Nick L - you talk about that  being nasty but you have on your signature - Tornadoes seen - 28!!!     I would love to have my roof took off by a tornado.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

Prefer snow by miles but would rather have severe weather of any type than nothingness bland, frost would be ok if it was severe like Dec 1991 in the midlands,

Nick L - you talk about that  being nasty but you have on your signature - Tornadoes seen - 28!!!     I would love to have my roof took off by a tornado.

Agree with WH, and I would prefer nothingness even if not all that cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
24 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

very sad News about Ian McCaskill. May he Rest in Peace. Always loved his forecasts. Came across as a genuinely lovely man. 

he was

He is one of the greatest very sad.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I'm very much in the rather have severe weather than boring nothingness.

however, having experienced being 2 blocks away from a tornado, I doubt very much you would want your roof ripped off by one. Would love to chase them though! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
14 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

They are terrifying. Back in early August 2014 there was a torrential thunderstorm (i believe it produced flooding in Bradford) however passing over my street was a visible rotating cloud with visible vorcities standing vertically within it. As much as i love extreme weather it was far too close a call for me. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

I would love see this come off I'm in south east London I'm sure this could bring blizzards if the cold pool moved in you never no with the weather. :D

IMG_1333.PNG

Edited by abbie123
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Gosh. Amazing. And Rickmansworth too (I spent most my childhood there & in Chorleywood!).

Re modelling, a bit of context but I make no judgement on forecast confidence(!). The Dec-issue Glosea JFM signal is skewed by F-M. Jan actually looks quite blocked. Strat PV consolidation as per medium range may not necessarily prove a foregone conclusion all of next month... in short, any 'winter is over' postings based on present deterministic modelling need to wait a few more weeks to receive any final stamp of validity :-)

The last GFS FI actually had a much less strong strat vortex than most runs over the last few days, in fact it was stecthed to the point it may have split in the mid strat (30mb) had the run kept going, is this whats being modelled on GLOSEA5 as that's the only way I can see Jan ending up blocked from here, surely once the VI propagates down to 50mb - 70mb  then surely the writing is on the wall.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, A Frayed Knot said:

tweeet.JPG

Is unsettled the opposite of game on though if Matt was hoping to see cold and winters weather as per winter forecast?

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

One of the greatest forecasts of all time. Pure winter joy in the utterly coldest extreme. Colder, colder, colder and then bang with the snow and it just kept coming. Spot on, too. Yes, one of the great forecasters. Let's hope for a countryfile forecast like this one on Sunday in his honour!

You dont have to wait for Countryfile - Weather For The Week is on everyday now ;-)

• Like 1