Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

If the 06Z is anything to go by, we could find ourselves stuck in almost exactly the same position come the middle of January; that block looks very very stubborn, to me?

Posted
8 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Anyone with a bet on Glasgow and maybe Edinburgh will be hoping GFS 06z is on the money

prectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.png

Precipitation charts 7 days away! Yeah the graphics are there to view but let's not kid/confuse ourselves that they will even come close to verifying or producing at that range. We struggle to predict 3 days in advance with regard to precipitation. The current corresponding 500 + SLP chart for that timeframe is T186 and shows nothing drastic or significant beyond a cool westerly for the entire UK . Will it intensify as T72 and closer draws near? The NH profile this morning says NOT *shrugs* would love a white something/anything but can't see anything that indicates it this side of 2017 so why post precip charts in FI showing that it may? I'm confused by that.

h500slp.png

npsh500.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

If the 06Z is anything to go by, we could find ourselves stuck in almost exactly the same position come the middle of January; that block looks very very stubborn, to me?

A trend that has been showing for a while. The block has been in various locations but seems to be very strong. Any talk of a 'zonal train' would be rather ill advised at the moment methinks.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
2 minutes ago, ChillyJuju said:

Precipitation charts 7 days away! Yeah the graphics are there to view but let's not kid/confuse ourselves that they will even come close to verifying or producing at that range. We struggle to predict 3 days in advance with regard to precipitation. The current corresponding 500 + SLP chart for that timeframe is T186 and shows nothing drastic or significant beyond a cool westerly for the entire UK . Will it intensify as T72 and closer draws near? The NH profile this morning says NOT *shrugs* would love a white something/anything but can't see anything that indicates it this side of 2017 so why post precip charts in FI showing that it may? I'm confused by that.

h500slp.png

npsh500.png

Answer: This the model output discussion thread. We discuss model output here. It does what it says on the tin, what is confusing?

Edited by Seasonality
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Running through the GEFS purbs and almost all of them show low pressure as good as over us. Varying from south westerlies and north westerlies <--majority 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

After walking along from West to East since Nov now, have we finally found the edge of the cliff?

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 3

Posted

The 6z stratospheric chart shows some interest in the 300+ hour range with the vortex getting displaced to Siberia.

However, this is the first run that shows this so only take note if the following runs show this.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

ensemble-tt6-london.gifAfter walking along from West to East since Nov now, have we finally found the edge of the cliff?

Now that's what I've been waiting for!!! That's quite a majority of members going cold! :cold::yahoo:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

The  Atlantic  breaks through  around Christmas time but not for long as the high to east says no I'm the boss I'm here to stay maybe this is  first   Hint That high wants to push north west or north east more runs needed.

IMG_0026.PNG

IMG_0027.PNG

IMG_0028.PNG

IMG_0029.PNG

Edited by abbie123
  • Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

Now that's what I've been waiting for!!! That's quite a majority of members going cold! :cold::yahoo:

Some mild to moderate night frosts?

Well now. Some will be disappointed in the short to medium term 'downgrade' on the 6z. But synoptically it's an interesting development, with the easterly block rebuilding. FI has lots of potential.

I still think we could see some very interesting runs in the next few days.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Although looks dry as well although tough to match up clusters without any colour coding.

8 minutes ago, karyo said:

The 6z stratospheric chart shows some interest in the 300+ hour range with the vortex getting displaced to Siberia.

However, this is the first run that shows this so only take note if the following runs show this.

That looks like its that sceuro ridge that does the trick but there's a warming underway at the top as well by the end of the run.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
19 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

A trend that has been showing for a while. The block has been in various locations but seems to be very strong. Any talk of a 'zonal train' would be rather ill advised at the moment methinks.

Agreed; it would be foolhardy at best. I believe (or think I remember) that the Glosea model was hinting at HP sitting to our west, some time down the line? Something has to give?:D

30 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

The  Atlantic  breaks through  around Christmas time but not for long as the high to east says no I'm the boss I'm here to stay maybe this is  first   Hint That high wants to push north west or north east more runs needed.

IMG_0026.PNG

IMG_0027.PNG

IMG_0028.PNG

IMG_0029.PNG

Indeed, this is interesting. I noticed that yesterday's 12Z ECMWF retrograded the Siberian high, so this idea has support.

Edited by snowwman
Spelling
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Although looks dry as well although tough to match up clusters without any colour coding.

That looks like its that sceuro ridge that does the trick but there's a warming underway at the top as well by the end of the run.

True, I am though always cautious of the 6z gfs as it seems to be more enthusiastic compared to other runs.

• Like 3

Posted
39 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

Some mild to moderate night frosts?

Guess we need to see this evening, and whether or not day time temperature bottoms out as well, as it's pretty difficult to say weather this would be cold days as well as nights. But I'm just happy to see it head the right direction and not without support.  

Posted
8 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Guess we need to see this evening, and whether or not day time temperature bottoms out as well, as it's pretty difficult to say weather this would be cold days as well as nights. But I'm just happy to see it head the right direction and not without support.  

Here are better formatted plumes for the Netherlands, nothing to get excited about, if it's not exciting here it sure isn't exciting over on you end (gemiddelde = average, mediaan =median)

http://www.weerplaza.nl/15daagseverwachting/?type=eps_pluim&r=midden

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Excellent 06Z upgrade at T+186 Christmas Eve for Ireland and N and NW altitudes as the front passes through SW - unsure what holds for land at lower elevation though maybe a festive sleety mix?

uksnowrisk.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I would love to see some snow before December is over and out, the Gfs 6z obliges!:santa-emoji: it even gives us a chilly christmas day..who would have thought that was possible:reindeer-emoji::D

06_120_preciptype.png

06_132_preciptype.png

06_192_preciptype.png

06_204_uk2mtmp.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
5 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

I would love to see some snow before December is over and out, the Gfs 6z obliges!:santa-emoji: it even gives us a chilly christmas day..who would have thought that was possible:reindeer-emoji:

06_120_preciptype.png

06_132_preciptype.png

06_192_preciptype.png

06_204_uk2mtmp.png

Yes frosty a good 06Z -  all to play for as they say - we are at the top of that rollercoaster again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
Just now, Iceaxecrampon said:

Yes frosty a good 06Z -  all to play for as they say - we are at the top of that rollercoaster again.

Agreed, even when the high builds in it stays chilly..I just want winter like temperatures, surely not too much to ask for is it?:reindeer-emoji:

• Like 6