Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 12z mean shows increasing high pressure influence for the southern half of the uk from around day 9 / 10 onwards with our weather becoming largely settled, even for the north with more in the way of frost and fog returning which would lower daytime maxima:)

21_216_500mb.png

21_240_500mb.png

21_264_500mb.png

21_288_500mb.png

21_312_500mb.png

21_336_500mb.png

21_360_500mb.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted

It goes downhill quickly on the ECM with energy spilling over the top at T168hrs. Upstream its flat as a pancake at T192hrs, pretty awful output from the ECM so far with little festive cheer. The hope window at T144hrs has been firmly shut!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Got to be honest, I'm struggling....

IMG_3877.PNG

Posted
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

IMG_3877.PNG

Yep, I was hoping tonight may give us some hope - this ain't helped with that!! 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

IMG_3877.PNG

You're not the only one! utterly dire. This looks like verging on catastrophic for the ski resorts unless theres a major pattern change quickly. The Euro slug high is going nowhere with that upstream pattern at T192hrs.

• Like 3

Posted

Actually the weekend cools down quite a bit on the Ecm 12z but most of this week will be much milder than we've been used to recently.

24_mslp850uk.png

48_mslp850uk.png

72_mslp850uk.png

96_mslp850uk.png

120_mslp850uk.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted

In one sense I think we can be thankful that the HP hangs in there because the way the upper trough is configured around T180 we could well have been clobbered by a nasty low. Still could be of course; it's always a danger in this sort of mobile set up. More likely to be Scotland in the firing line if the worst came to the worst. Anyway all very speculative.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Nothing really for coldies from tonight's ECM with winds continuing from the west

ECH1-144.GIF?05-0ECH1-168.GIF?05-0ECH1-192.GIF?05-0

ECH1-216.GIF?05-0ECH1-240.GIF?05-0

As I said yesterday we've reverted back to chasing cold in FI and even that's proving hard at the moment!

• Like 4

Posted

The Ecm 12z doesn't end mild :santa-emoji:or cold:closedeyes:

240_mslp850uk.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
1 minute ago, igloo said:

your wrong no amplification even at day 10 the worst ECM run for a long time lets hope its just a outlier otherwise the met office will have to ditch there forecast for christmas big time

Day 10 takes us to the 15th a full 10 days before Christmas Day. I think the Met have it covered.Settled probably the best bet over the start of the Christmas period but lots of time for that to change

Those hoping for a pattern change may have to stop looking at every run to avoid a major headache.

I have read and looked between the lines, and we all have seen posted,that it will probably be the last week in December before a real shot at colder synoptics can be expected.

• Like 1

Posted

My advice go into a denial bubble! Overall this evening there were a few crumbs for us on the GFS and to a degree the UKMO. The ECM throws too much energy ne'wards at T144hrs and from there it was downhill.

Ordinarily that set up of two elongated PV lobes one either side of the UK leads to some pressure rise in the gap. The problem is we can't carve enough energy se'wards at the critical timeframe.

The upstream pattern is going to become flatter , this means that we only really have one window of opportunity and that was with a low chance of a Scandi high.

Its hard to see where that amplification is going to come from , the MJO isn't really moving anywhere fast. Last week there were issues with conflicting signals. The latest NCEP update will be tomorrow.

• Like 3

Posted

Not much sign of the much vaunted mid month atlantic height rises on the ecm. Quite the polar (no pun intended) opposite in fact.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

While everyone is writing early winter off.

Could I please have clarification as to the whereabouts of the so called "Euro slug" that is quoted in many posts?Was it on the ECM because I see an Azores high this evening so its quite a quick slug:D

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_ECM1-240.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Pretty uninspiring for cold this evening.Some signs of ridging in the Atlantic in the T144/168 range but the main vortex is determined to re join hands across the pole at the vital time and continues to scupper any blocking attempts.

Looking through tonight's gefs stamps there are 2 or 3 with cold patterns after mid month with Greenland highs and around another 12 out of 20 with highs near or over the UK.Certainly fewer ens members with any high latitude ridging for the same date,so a step back for cold chances in the next 2 weeks.

These for day 12 just after mid-month where the temp ens have been showing a fall for some days.This is where i have been counting down day to day following these.

I should add i do this sometimes when things look a bit grim in the near term and it keeps me interested!

gens_panel_ght1.png

A look at the clusterings and the overwhelming majority go for a euro high maybe extending into the south of the UK.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=euro&MODELL=gefs&MODELLTYP=2&BASE=-&VAR=cslp&HH=276&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

It seems a mid-latitude form of blocking is the likely evolution going forward based on these.It's just a case of where it settles which would affect the wind flow direction and therefore the surface conditions,ie chances of cloud,frost etc..

Eagerly seeking some amplification in the NH pattern to move that high modeled in week 2 further north.

Edited by phil nw.
Added larger image
  • Like 4

Posted

Really interested to see what the update is later from EC. I keep saying to myself look at the ensembles, not the op. But surely this consistent reluctance to build heights to our north can't be ignored. Not a decent run for ages. 

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

While everyone is writing early winter off.

Could I please have clarification as to the whereabouts of the so called "Euro slug" that is quoted in many posts?Was it on the ECM because I see an Azores high this evening so its quite a quick slug:D

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_ECM1-240.gif

It was there for the whole run, the chart you posted just shows one Euro slug about to be replaced by another. Euro slug or displaced Azores high they all suck!

• Like 4

Posted

You can look at all the long range forecasts all you like BUT there isn't a thing on the horizon, you can look at means and ENS as well they mean nothing after 168  .

Ive clutched straws for years and until we see something consistent across the big boys I wont be getting that interested , of course I will look at the charts each day but we continue to chase i'm afraid

Edited by Banbury
  • Like 4

Posted

Can an Azores high actually cause some cold? We've still a long way to go and December isn't a good performer

Posted
4 minutes ago, nn2013 said:

Can an Azores high actually cause some cold? We've still a long way to go and December isn't a good performer

Yes, if it does one!

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
5 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Really interested to see what the update is later from EC. I keep saying to myself look at the ensembles, not the op. But surely this consistent reluctance to build heights to our north can't be ignored. Not a decent run for ages. 

And Karlos  what if the EC update is a Winter wonderland?? It really doesn't mean a thing ......apart from its got another idea.........another

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
10 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I hope it's something like this.....goodness me,Merry Christmas and a happy new year every one:D

run it through:shok:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfse_cartes.php?ech=354&mode=0&carte=0&run=10

it could happen:bomb::rofl:

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

It was there for the whole run, the chart you posted just shows one Euro slug about to be replaced by another. Euro slug or displaced Azores high they all suck!

I hate the term Euro slug, isn't there a better name for it..like Eurotrash High or Bartlett:shok::sorry:

Anyway, it's what the models are showing which is the name of the game after all!

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
4 minutes ago, nn2013 said:

It would ideally need to retrogress up towards mid-Atlantic/Iceland/Greenland, but the jet seems too strong for this to occur. Generally it means a SW/westerly or a slight NW feed at best on occasion. In other words, get rid of it.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 2