Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
2 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

The licensing agreement with UKMO, negotiated a few years ago, is for sharing selected items that help offer technical context to forecasts, but social media growth means a risk of items disseminated without permission or proper context and thus possibly not in spirit of original forecast thinking. For now, I'm afraid that means no further sharing of that material aside from more limited ones through twitter, given sensitivities. Back to model discussion.

Shame your posts cant be locked ...............one liners will still be appreciated though

meanwhile , will the block situ over Greenland

gfsnh-0-204.png?6

Posted
5 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

The licensing agreement with UKMO, negotiated a few years ago, is for sharing selected items that help offer technical context to forecasts, but social media growth means a risk of items disseminated without permission or proper context and thus possibly not in spirit of original forecast thinking. For now, I'm afraid that means no further sharing of that material aside from more limited ones through twitter, given sensitivities. Back to model discussion.

This is a proper shame, is there nothing that can be done from the techno wizards - I guess locking ians posts wouldn't even work with the availability of screen shots etc. Can the members not sign some agreement that legally binds us not to share!!

anyway, still plenty of brains in here !!

• Like 3

Posted

I know there's some positivity again this morning but just to bring some balance, the GFS 0z ensembles are actually a further downgrade from yesterday's 12z which had a stonking set. Looking at the period after the initial cold blast most push away the cold and leave us in a cold dry pattern. The GFS Para is a stonker but we've seen this several times already this winter.

Definitely surprised by such positivity given the way things get pushed back every time they get into a 'reliable' timeframe, sure there's a transient northerly but it's a rather dry one mostly, don't mean to be a negative nelly I'm not normally! 

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Banbury said:

Shame your posts cant be locked ...............one liners will still be appreciated though

It's specifically re modified fields. Not forecast rationale (we communicate that publically already). Cheers.

• Like 4

Posted

Well the new year spell is quickly being watered down to a 24 hour toppler at best. Cold uppers of course after all its the height of Winter. The trend is certainly one of blocking but as has been the case it's in the wrong place

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Those low heights near Iberia are going to be another element of uncertainty in the model output, especially as these could end up being friend or foe by offering a catalyst to drag cold air a long way south.

Interesting evolution from the 06z

gfs-0-216.png?6   gfs-0-240.png?6

A decent Euro trough developing as low heights sink south east through the UK with another Atlantic ridge following. Definitely scope for this to happen from the 00z suite, as also seen from the ECM operational this morning.

• Like 4

Posted

Latest model diagnostics discussions at NOAA seem to prefer the ECM solution for the development of the amplified upper trough out towards NE US/Canada and towards Greenland. Still some difficulty modelling the progression and orientation of that feature, which matters as far as our northerly shot is concerned.

UPPER TROUGH AMPLIFYING FROM THE NORTHWEST TO THE EAST COAST THROUGH THU NEW ENGLAND COASTAL SURFACE LOW DEVELOPING THU NIGHT ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ PREFERENCE: 00Z NAM...12Z ECMWF...00Z CMC BLEND CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE THE 00Z GFS IS TOWARD THE FASTER SIDE OF THE GUIDANCE REGARDING THE UPPER TROUGH PROGRESSION...IMPACTING THE POSITION OF A SURFACE LOW WHICH DEEPENS RAPIDLY THU INTO FRI NEAR THE NEW ENGLAND COAST. THE PAST 2 CYCLES OF ENSEMBLE SCATTER LOW PLOTS HAVE SHOWN RELATIVE AGREEMENT WITH A BLEND OF THE 00Z NAM...12Z ECMWF...00Z CMC CLOSEST TO THE CENTER OF THE ENSEMBLES. WHILE ALL OF THE MODELS SHOW RELATIVELY GOOD AGREEMENT...THE 00Z ECMWF ADJUSTED A BIT STRONGER AND SOUTH/WEST WITH THE 12Z/30 LOW POSITION NEAR THE MAINE COAST. THIS SUPPORTS THE STRENGTH OF THE 00Z NAM...BUT GIVEN THE SOUTHWESTWARD DISPLACEMENT OF THE 00Z ECMWF FROM THE LATEST ENSEMBLE LOW CLUSTERING BETWEEN CWSS AND BHB...ITS 12Z/26 RUN IS CONSIDERED MORE FAVORABLE.

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/pmdhmd.html

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
43 minutes ago, Cloud 10 said:

Worth posting a Northern hemisphere chart from the GFS 00z P run,just to show an example of a pretty much perfect Greenland high.:)

gfsnh-0-360.png

You could only dream that this chart will happen.

There's no question a cold snap is on its way,

through heights sinking over the uk is not the worst thing after cold air is in place so  possibly a cold high but the Canadian vortex segment and higher heights to south of uk sèem to be a player and where it's all placed.

09/10 winter had heights from the azores that ofter started out into the Atlantic into Greenland then retrograde to Scandinavia but then this winter not really anything like that special winter.

I do believe cold snaps could feature through the remainder of winter but not really anything prolonged.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The 6z showing colder daytime temps into mid-next week. Before another Northerly pushes South for the weekend. The detail will continue to change, But the Wintry theme continues.

a.pngb.pngc.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

by looking at this we have high to the north and low pressure to the south so we have a easterly flow heavy snow for the south of U.K. .:cold:

IMG_0109.PNG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

Edited by abbie123
  • Like 7

Posted

Note that the 06z GFS op is a reasonable run in week 2 in respect of the extended means/anomolies. a dumbelling mid Atlantic high which never quite allows a full on deep cold blast is quite plausible. would still give below av temps, sometimes well below and the chance of some of the white stuff. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Talk of cold icur being watered down atm' is as un-worthy of mention of upgrades! 

Various' progression and placements of waa' and cell situ's are by far and away not resolved! ..

And WILL obviously have reasonable implications for our final overheads.

Anyway a massive day today I feel for probable outcomes from 1/01/2017-10/01/2017...

Today's suites I feel will be pivotal! !!

• Like 2

Posted

As nick mentioned yesterday, without forcing from the polar regions, we are relying on upstream patterns to dictate amplification. we know how these can change run to run, day to day. so unless we see a convincing change re blocking establishing well to our north, expact the nwp to co tiniest to fluctuate. 

Frustrating, I know but the reality is thus. 

• Like 4

Posted
27 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

The perils of watching each run churn out

Merely reflecting the changes in the last 24hours across all models. I didn't quote one specific run. Example UKMO was stunning yesterday not so special today. ECM 24 hours ago was showing a full blown Greeny high, not so now. So it isn't the perils of watching one particular run its my educated view of where the models were yesterday to today (educated in my amateur take of watching weather/climate for 40+years)

I do agree though that it could swing back again and at least the atlantic remains subdued

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Don't shoot me down for saying this, but I fear there is going to be a lot of disgruntled coldies by the end of the day, the cracks in the potential cold spell are already beginning to appear on this mornings set of runs and I fully expect things to get watered down as the week progresses. 

Going through the various gfs runs this morning and the form horse is for a return to westerly driven weather post day 10. 

I would upload some postage stamps but I don't have the time.

The models always seem to throw out cold charts over the Christmas period for early January, only for things to get watered down as the data streams increase after the Xmas lull...(well that's my take on it anyway),seems to happen every year.

I do hope this is just a blip, but for me the writing is being etched on the wall in pencil this morning, let's hope someone comes and rubs it back off ...else we'll all end up having chased yet another potential cold spell that only ever existed inside a computer model !!

And how many times have we been here. 

• Like 4