Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

06Z  - OK its +214

HP well and truly battered away.

Blizzards. :D

h500slp.png

• Like 2

Posted

Those GLAAM forecasts look very volatile and unreliable though Catacol. Five days ago we were forecast to be into low AM but are still just North of the line. It doesn't look like a great tool for forecasting to me, but that's just my opinion. It does however look like one of those good tools for explaining why something didn't happen after the fact.

Granted though, the models are pretty firm on getting rid of the useless block and period of colder zonal weather looks likely, this offers up some possible snow prospects for the usual suspects in the North West with a little altitude. If we can somehow garner a little better amplitude behind any passing cold front, then some may see a surprise.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

Ian f did mention that they (met)  thought that a zonal period was probable between the high switching from our East to our North East I believe.  I think this might be the way this pans out. Hopefully it would be able to dig a bit further north west..  hope gp puts a post the next few hours to see where he thinks we could be heading.  give us (sacra members) some good news boys 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
19 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Those GLAAM forecasts look very volatile and unreliable though Catacol. Five days ago we were forecast to be into low AM but are still just North of the line. It doesn't look like a great tool for forecasting to me, but that's just my opinion. It does however look like one of those good tools for explaining why something didn't happen after the fact.

Granted though, the models are pretty firm on getting rid of the useless block and period of colder zonal weather looks likely, this offers up some possible snow prospects for the usual suspects in the North West with a little altitude. If we can somehow garner a little better amplitude behind any passing cold front, then some may see a surprise.

Volatile - yes. The interesting bit - which is not easy to show on here - is how the forecast keeps being wrong. You can track back 5 days on the CPC site, but I dont save all the graphics. However without doubt the models are seeing a Nina pattern moving us to a low AAM orbit 1 -2 - 3 when in fact the atmosphere is keen to sustain a Nino signature with accompanied convection led forcing. This is a key component underpinning the forecast of blocking to come. If the weak Nina signal was suddenly to bring the atmosphere into line and force us into a low momentum phase then we would be in trouble.

Therefore the forecasting tool is curiously obtuse but still valid. In other words the models are seeing a less amplified pattern constantly, but in fact the truth of the matter is that the amplification keeps coming. So FI charts are likely to be too flat. This was what led me to believe we might get a high lat block this side of Xmas. In fact, however, both MJO and partially as a result the GWO have gone very quiet at the moment and very neutral. The starter has his flag raised, and the field are nose to tape.... but he is holding them all a long time!!! No noticeable forcing therefore at the moment. But if the MJO stays with a Nino imprint then it will restart - soon - and those GWO orbits will change. And blocking should/may return.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
2 hours ago, karyo said:

I can't see why anybody who doesn't live on a hilly location would wish for (cold) zonality. I live in the northern half of the country and I am yet to see anything more than sleet/wet snow from cold zonality. As sundog also mentions, cold zonality tends to be brief and before you know it you are back in the long fetch southwesterlies.

With the stratosphere hostile for northern blocking, a mid latitude high is our best chance for a seasonal feel to the weather.

Cold zonality can deliver for most of Scotland, even down to sea level in the likes of Glasgow. 

• Like 6

Posted
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Poor meto update, sounds more like the flatter Gfs6z to me than the ecm0z..

Was kind of hoping something to suggest a north wester...

To be fair, the Met and other long range tools have been poor so far this winter...blocked and colder than average was predicted up to xmas, no sign of Atlantic dominating was another term constantly banded around and only a week or so ago...after 2 days solid rain today is sunny and 13 c., so I would recommend not taking too much notice, the way the models are chopping and changing and , constantly picking up on new signals anything can Happen! 

• Like 4

Posted
42 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Useless Block? :fool: Much better than gales and heavy rain surely? Agree with the cold zonal loooking likely from the models now and yes snow to higher ground for northern hills. As you say we need more of a Nw'ly for -8 uppers to flood the Uk. I think this has been the kindest 1/6 of winter i can remember- no snow/gales/heavy rain. The Atlantic storms are truly leagues to the Nw:)

• Like 1

Posted

With regards this zonal malarky, are we getting way, way ahead of ourselves here anyway? There's enough disagreement at just T144 this morning.

gfs-0-144.png  gfs-0-144.png?6  UW144-21.GIF?14-05  EDM1-144.GIF?14-12

Sure the big picture is fairly consistent, but heights over different parts of Europe vary considerably - the UKMO in particular. Not enough confidence yet for me to say the Atlantic will break through.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
6 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Yes, but it's the evolution on into January that is a focal point of ongoing interest (certainly at Exeter), with GloSea5 continuing each run to support Monday's ECMWF theme of migrating height anomalies westwards during week1-2 of Jan, with lows tracking much further north over this. The net result is a generally blocked output 1st half Jan, with switch from mean SW or at times perhaps NW flow (Xmas period) to E'ly into Jan and resultant higher likelihood of colder outbreaks. Confidence is of course very low at this lead time and not least - as UKMO point out - hindered by a lack of clear global teleconnections into that period.

Hello Ian, once again many thanks for your invaluable contributions and the insider knowledge you give us on the workings of the met office. If I am reading what you say correctly, could it be said today's ECM 00z evolution is a genuinely feasible outcome, albeit with low confidence and possibly less extreme?

• Like 2

Posted

It's a bit of a catch 22 for those wanting rid of the block. Because of the lack of upstream amplitude the only way to force the jet se near the UK is to have the block to the ne. Otherwise the rampant PV will just blast the jet right through , eventually you end up with the Azores high ridging ne and mild sw mush. You need something to help lock in lower heights over central Europe. 

• Like 7

Posted
10 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Yes, but it's the evolution on into January that is a focal point of ongoing interest (certainly at Exeter), with GloSea5 continuing each run to support Monday's ECMWF theme of migrating height anomalies westwards during week1-2 of Jan, with lows tracking much further north over this. The net result is a generally blocked output 1st half Jan, with switch from mean SW or at times perhaps NW flow (Xmas period) to E'ly into Jan and resultant higher likelihood of colder outbreaks. Confidence is of course very low at this lead time and not least - as UKMO point out - hindered by a lack of clear global teleconnections into that period.

with this set up, we continue to run the risk of the block sinking if the jet strengthens for any reason (as we see upcoming). to deliver a deep cold wintry period, we require the flow to split and get some low heights into Europe. failing that troughs dropping in through the back door though even that remains tricky without any lowering of euro heights

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

16 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Are they discussing the possibility of the high being far enough North to bring in an unstable potent easterly (obviously I know you cant forecast uppers at that range for certain but just talking about the positioning of the high being far enough North to allow for such an outcome) or one that's only just to the N or NW which in itself could still be very cold if not feeling as cold as the aforementioned possibility but being more of the still fog and frost variety?

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

That's interesting because the JMA has done a fairly quick change between the output on the eighth of the month to that of the twelth. Albeit, one is weekly and the other is monthly the indication was more of the same for first two weeks of January.

Latest seasonal for January 'might' depict what you are seeing in your models?

Y201612.D0700.png

At least, it is the first indication of low height anomaly to the south - an artefact of the digging trough leaving residual cut-off troughiness in the westerns Med?

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/gmd/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/4mE/map1/zpcmap.php

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
1 minute ago, Dennis said:

A very heavy blocked situation

786.gif

Interesting Dennis, still shows a strong Baltic centred high. A bit like the GFS runs a couple of days ago.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dennis said:

A very heavy blocked situation

786.gif

I know that's an anomaly, and so shouldn't be read like a pressure map, but comparing with the anomalies yesterday and previously, that's a lot further east, with the highest around Finland.  Previous efforts had HP mostly around North Sea or SW Scandinavia.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

....albeit ECMWF has it focused in exact same area (bear in mind these are 500hPa GPH anomalies in both charts: not MSLP)

Screenshot_2016-12-14-14-08-34-1.png

Hi Ian, at what timescale is that chart covering?