Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Hmmm so heights to our NE is more than just a chance then!

Posted
7 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Wrt to EC46 (weeklies), not completely out, but this is week 3 as a teaser ... H500 +anomalies to the NE this time

ec-ens_nat_taem_gh500_anom_2016120500_504.png

The potential for sliders is evident on the 12z run too nick. However, as I posted earlier, will there be any sub zero uppers on the continent ? Otherwise sliders are just going to bring cold rain! 

What  I will say is that this chart is much closer to how I believe glosea saw mid December onwards -  high anomoly needing to sink a bit closer to us and twist towards greeny a bit. 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
5 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Hmmm so heights to our NE is more than just a chance then!

Until the PV goes for a wander or is nuked into Christmas past then Greenland is off limits. Height rises NE can happen when the PV backs west and you get scenarios similar to Jan 2013

archivesnh-2013-1-18-12-0.png

Little pocket of heights was all that was needed. PV also shown there too just a difference between then and now is that the jet is taking a more northerly route thus scuppering this chance.

gfsnh-0-192.png?12

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 3

Posted

3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The potential for sliders is evident on the 12z run too nick. However, as I posted earlier, will there be any sub zero uppers on the continent ? Otherwise sliders are just going to bring cold rain! 

What  I will say is that this chart is much closer to how I believe glosea saw mid December high anomoly needing to sink a bit closer to us and twist towards greeny a bit. 

To my eyes blue that chart is not a million miles away from the EPS 10--15 mean and I didn't find much significant about that.

Posted
1 minute ago, SN0WM4N said:

Until the PV goes for a wander or is nuked into Christmas past then Greenland is off limits. Height rises NE can happen when the PV backs west and you get scenarios similar to Jan 2013

archivesnh-2013-1-18-12-0.png

Little pocket of heights was all that was needed. PV also shown there too just a difference between then and now is that the jet is taking a more northerly route thus scuppering this chance.

I'm willing to go through the grinder for a proper scandi high, they almost always deliver! *if it's to go that way*

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, legritter said:

Any body for an albatross ,northern profile looking interesting ,this is my first attempt at chart posting well here goes ,enjoying tonights chatter .cheers :cold:

npsh500.png

It's the first time an Op has looked interesting for a while too. 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

What  I will say is that this chart is much closer to how I believe glosea saw mid December onwards -  high anomoly needing to sink a bit closer to us and twist towards greeny a bit. 

That's the problem, too much zonality ploughing deep into NE Europe in next week to two weeks and then there maybe little deep cold to tap into when the synoptics could become favourable aka week 3 from the EPS. Anyway, there's still a weak flame left in the EPS long range to warm the optimism for the rest of the month.

• Like 3

Posted

gfs-0-222.png?18

Well if we can't get cut off heights it could be quite dry especially further south-east you go.

• Like 1

Posted

Hold up 18z has the russian high back.

gfsnh-0-240.png?18 

If we can't get a cold spell lets at least get some vortex disruption.

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 6

Posted
10 minutes ago, knocker said:

To my eyes blue that chart is not a million miles away from the EPS 10--15 mean and I didn't find much significant about that.

you don't need much trough disruption to generate proper wintry conditions over the uk with the jet running nw/se but the issue would be continental temps and upper air being sub  zero.  To me (and many others) the issue is how you generate low anomolys to our south. Originally it seemed the Russian ones might back sw but that's looked unlikely since mid last week so the invigorated Atlantic could be the answer If the jet can be encouraged to split a fair flow se. 

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, KasimWeatherQuarnford said:

Do my eyes deceive me or is air source/ origin over the UK generally Atlantic / bay of biscay originated on that chart? The upper air pattern would also be slightly off for cold/snow.

I don't think you can really infer any likely temperature range for the UK from the chart as it is 500mb height anomalies over a week, though it does suggest NW to SE axis to movement of troughing and weather systems, perhaps, rather than SW to NE as is case next few weeks.

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Dear me what a dreadful GFS 18hrs run. As an old timer in here I've seen some horror shows but the last few days are becoming quite trying.

Flat upstream pattern and a PV stuck to the north. We really need to see a big change upstream.

Even flattens the pacific ridge.

Pretty grim post 240 op run.

Posted
16 minutes ago, SN0WM4N said:

Hold up 18z has the russian high back.

gfsnh-0-240.png?18 

If we can't get a cold spell lets at least get some vortex disruption.

Nice pacific ridge as well. Double trouble for said vortex:diablo:

but ends crxp surprise surprise  

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
10 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Dear me what a dreadful GFS 18hrs run. As an old timer in here I've seen some horror shows but the last few days are becoming quite trying.

Flat upstream pattern and a PV stuck to the north. We really need to see a big change upstream.

It's unbelievable isn't it, we can't even get a polar maritime shot within the next 384 hours!:D..something has to change soon surely.

• Like 4

Posted

So NW don't see a cold spell of interest by the looks of the update to December 

IMG_3882.JPG

The plot err.... thinens 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4

Posted
29 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Wrt to EC46 (weeklies), not completely out, but this is week 3 as a teaser ... H500 +anomalies to the NE this time

ec-ens_nat_taem_gh500_anom_2016120500_504.png

A very different picture on the ppn and 850 temp charts to previous runs. Unfortunately the axis seems to go way south and only brush the coasts - nothing penetrating far enough in for what people are looking for.

It is remarkable how two sites can present the precipitation anomaly for the 336 to 504 timeframe so differently.

meRz20161205_0000+33600.png    ec-ens_nat_taem_msl_tprate_anom_20161205

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
8 minutes ago, Banbury said:

Front loaded cold start to winter pfffft

It's certainly not going to feel like a front loaded winter once the mild spell arrives with a vengeance by wednesday which is then expected to last for a further 7-10 days or thereabouts minus a cooler blip at the weekend.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

you don't need much trough disruption to generate proper wintry conditions over the uk with the jet running nw/se but the issue would be continental temps and upper air being sub  zero.  To me (and many others) the issue is how you generate low anomolys to our south. Originally it seemed the Russian ones might back sw but that's looked unlikely since mid last week so the invigorated Atlantic could be the answer If the jet can be encouraged to split a fair flow se. 

Yes that's true but I suspect the main arm of the jet would be more SW/NE with the southern arm too far south. And any trough disruption would seem to be getting less significant so, as you say, where is the low pressure to the SE going to come from. Everyone is whistling in the wind a bit here I feel.

• Like 3