Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Polar Maritime

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

On 28/07/2018 at 08:40, markyo said:

In Star Trek you would certainly be a Klingon....every slight hope,you Klingon to it😂

But seriously,you don't want to see folk suffer,taken ill,die due to heat do you? See wildlife suffer? See farmers livelihoods suffer?

I have to agree with you... 25 degrees great... Any more not so great... Farming is already suffering with livestock being fed stocks that are meant for winter... And yes... Absolutely heat can kill

• Like 3

Just now, Sidsnake said:

I have to agree with you... 25 degrees great... Any more not so great... Farming is already suffering with livestock being fed stocks that are meant for winter... And yes... Absolutely heat can kill

17,000 died as a result of heat in the European heatwave of 2003.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd have thought that the drivel that comes from Lord Lawson's orifice would be a salutary lesson in what happens when you allow economists to witter about the real world, Chris? 

Holy sheet!💩

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I'd have thought that the drivel that comes from Lord Lawson's orifice would be a salutary lesson in what happens when you allow economists to witter about the real world, Chris? 

Holy sheet!💩

/interestingly, the same chap argued that the car industry here must be allowed to the the way of mining so that we can focus on finance and services.  Unsuprisingly, if you know anything of the car industry, that didn't make him very popular in Sunderland or Swindon!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, markyo said:

Very strange view. Not sure on the logic on that one😂

Why? 

The point beng that all extremes of weather causes food supply problems. Recent summers have suffered from excessive rainfall thats caused drops in yields. 

So paying more because of heat/drought is just part of the course... 

Sitting as a ( neutral) in the centre of Euroland its been a fascinating 2018 watching the weather events unfold over old blighty and for that matter much of Northern Europe. 2018 has not been a normal year with some exceptional weather events. 2018 starting mild with hardly any snowfall following a rare green Christmas in much of Sweden, then the end of the winter heralding a potent beast from the East abeit not too prolonged but gave a good reminder that winter can deliver the goods with sub zero temps and drifting snow right across the Islands. Late spring/early summer  heat and drought in NW Britain followed by near record heat by July further south. The southern type continental weather affecting much of Scandinavia with a record July high in Stockholm and temps of nearly 100f in the low countries last week. This weekend the heat continues for much of Northern Europe ( apart from this weekends rainy and windy spell over the British Isles ( just like the old days ). So yes many weather watches will have enjoyed the rather continental climate so far in places regarded as maritime climate the norm. 2018 is turning out vintage year with blizzards, sub zero day temps, heat , record sunshine, drought, thunderstorms and its not finished yet ! Love watching the TV weather reports from back home and updates from my daughter in Stockholm who are having one of the hottest summers ever over there. Long may it continue.

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 2

Odd, if anyone dislikes people moaning about the weather and the inevitable very hot v no thanks or loads of snow v I hate it etc etc, then why on earth would they even visit this thread.

When It gets a bit heated as it did last week between 2 members, the mods deleted the posts and had a word I guess, apart from that it ticks over nicely in here, with some weather leg pulling and model banter.

People will always be tribal, to expect that not to include the weather is naïve(imo)

• Like 6

Well a Mexican friend, who now resides in Los Angeles, has been here for a month researching family history. On more than one occasion she has moaned to me how hot it is and she doesn't like the heat. I said what did you expect coming to Cornwall in July. I mean to say..................

When she asked for a recommendation for a weather site I had a memory lapse.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Odd, if anyone dislikes people moaning about the weather and the inevitable very hot v no thanks or loads of snow v I hate it etc etc, then why on earth would they even visit this thread.

When It gets a bit heated as it did last week between 2 members, the mods deleted the posts and had a word I guess, apart from that it ticks over nicely in here, with some weather leg pulling and model banter.

People will always be tribal, to expect that not to include the weather is naïve(imo)

I agree, Dave - we are a tribal species; as is demonstrated by all the ludicrous things folks like to kill each other over...? At least the weather's real!😇

• Like 3

Just popping out of longtime lurk-mode as I have to point out...

The only reason this forum is so popular is because our weather has so much personality - how many of you would be coming here if we were guaranteed a calm 20C every day of the year?

So regardless of how much anyone moans, there is simple no stopping the British weather and it will do what it does regardless - heat, cold, drought, floods or relentless grey. Deaths supposedly due to heat in this country are due to infrastructure, people and politics and that's also where the solution lies.  From January to December we never really know what we're going to get but we do know that at some points the conditions will be harder to manage than others. No one knows this better than farmers (which is why many of them now grow indoors in controlled environments).

So I don't think anyone minds people moaning or disagreeing about the heat, but do thinks it's crossing the line implying that those who enjoy our inevitable hotter conditions, are somehow selfishly wishing death and suffering on people. It would be nice if people were a little more tolerant of other's weather preferences.. especially on a weather discussion forum.

• Like 9

It’s the guilt tripping that annoys me. No need. We all like different weather types and can find plenty of reasons for our likes/dislikes. That makes this forum and discussion within it interesting and varied, unlike our climate which is generally quite boring and uneventful with extremes being rare.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 5

I think the continual accusation of guilt tripping requires qualification because in the past I have been accused of it. And as I have repeatable said I have no problem whatsoever with people liking extremes of weather, ( I have probably experienced these more than most), But for a few who are of this inclination it seems to necessitate posting copious amounts of insensitive drivel which quite a few, including myself , find offensive. It is that that is the problem and apart from anything else it makes the thread(s) unreadable.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Aye, guilt-tripping is a bit silly...and, just to prove how serious I am, after my imminent spontaneous combustion my ashes will be sent to mushy, as a way of saying 'I told you so'!:drinks::rofl:

• Like 2

For my part, I do not intend to type anything that guilt-trips anyone, and I'll apologise here and now if that was the effect of any of my posts.  I think what irritated me was how some posters, especially in the model thread, have been posting comments along the following lines:

• That rain on one/two days with cooler temperatures was a disaster that would ruin the entire summer
  • Expressing a desire to see no rain at all until early/mid autumn (suggest that idea to most farmers round here and I suspect you'll receive short shrift)
  • Generally enthusing about the south and south-east possibly hitting 35C/40C/1,000,000C (delete as appropriate) for X days in succession.

In addition, some of these members appear to assume that all fellow NW posters are as enthusiastic as they are about the prospect: in other words, they fail to, or, in some cases I suspect, refuse to, acknowledge that a variety of opinion is acceptable as long as that opinion is expressed in good humour. 

As someone who fails to appreciate or enjoy football, the current consensus ("heat is good, more heat is better") reminds me of the assumption earlier this month that everyone was breathlessly following every moment of Engand's World Cup exploits.  There almost seems to be an implication that, if you don't follow the herd, you're weird or there's something wrong with you.  I'll provide some background here - in my High School, though I wasn't bullied for my disability, I was to an extent a figure of fun due to having unusual hobbies/interests and not immediately lusting after any female under half my age by my fifteenth birthday.  As a consequence, I received plenty of comments inferring that I was strange and somehow a failure as a man, despite being heterosexual (this was back when LGBT people were still regarded as being a valid target for bullying and abuse, at least in Norfolk).  In my late thirties, therefore, I have no intention of being on the receiving end of similar criticism and veiled suggestions that I'm trying to ruin others' fun as a result of sincerely-held preferences and a weakness, thanks to medication, to prolonged hot and humid weather.  I don't deny that many enjoy heat and have absolutely no desire to spoil their enjoyment or suggest that their preference is somehow "wrong"; all I ask is that they tolerate a few days' welcome and useful rain and cooler weather just as I accept and tolerate heat and humidity that, after a while, makes me feel ill.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, knocker said:

I think the continual accusation of guilt tripping requires qualification because in the past I have been accused of it. And as I have repeatable said I have no problem whatsoever with people liking extremes of weather, ( I have probably experienced these more than most), But for a few who are of this inclination it seems to necessitate posting copious amounts of insensitive drivel which quite a few, including myself , find offensive. It is that that is the problem and apart from anything else it makes the thread(s) unreadable.

It is nice to be able to say how much one enjoys a weather type (say, sunshine and heat) without being made to feel one is Emperor Ming’s more evil sibling, wishing death and destruction on all life forms. But the ‘banter’ does cross the line, generally in winter, where non-coldies seem to be viewed as ‘freaks’ and fun-sponges. Your posts are amongst the most valuable on this entire forum, in my opinion. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

for you chris! hope it's tempered a bit, 37 degrees too much, and this setup opens door for the Atlantic, let's hope it's toned down and we get longer settled spell around 24-28 degrees

Netweather GFS Image

21 minutes ago, knocker said:

Bear in mind the mods have been very busy deleting posts (thanks mods ☺️) but many of us see those posts before they are deleted. It's not about singling anyone out but rather keeping the atmosphere welcoming for all types of opinions.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, knocker said:

Indeed; merely pointing-out that prolonged cold, snowy weather or prolonged heatwaves can be problematic and dangerous to a not inconsiderable percentage of the population doesn't really automatically qualify as guilt-tripping (much depends on how post are phrased); in many cases, it's just a reminder to those who might be prone to inadvertent selfishness by describing such conditions in unquestioningly glowing terms that a moment's reflection to acknowledge that not everyone can manage such situations as well as we might expect would be appreciated.😎

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
Edited for clarity.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

for you chris! hope it's tempered a bit, 37 degrees too much, and this setup opens door for the Atlantic, let's hope it's toned down and we get longer settled spell around 24-28 degrees

Netweather GFS Image

Indeed, huge hot outlier perhaps?

11 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Netweather GFS Image

Thanks - yes, that might be rather nasty here.  If it's only like that for acouple of days it's not too much of a problem, but more than around 3 days of plume-type conditions with the consequent humidity, plus daytime maxima in the mid-high thirties and (crucially), minima around 20C is concerning.  As you say, what's wrong with high pressure centred on the UK, lower humidity and maxima in the mid-high twenties with mid-teens overnight, unless, of course, you're wanting the typical thundery end to a plume?

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 2

Anyway....

The gardens have had a good dose of rain this weekend and this fresher weather has cleared out the heat in our homes so it’s more comfortable. 

Looking forward now to a return of summery weather, I love those balmy warm evenings, hot sunny days and being able to be outside while having a pint. 

The weather this weekend is making me dread Autumn. I love cold, snowy weather but personally can’t stand it when it’s cool and wet. Its dark, dull, grim and depressing. But we all have different weather preferences! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, danm said:

Anyway....

The gardens have had a good dose of rain this weekend and this fresher weather has cleared out the heat in our homes so it’s more comfortable. 

Looking forward now to a return of summery weather, I love those balmy warm evenings, hot sunny days and being able to be outside while having a pint. 

The weather this weekend is making me dread Autumn. I love cold, snowy weather but personally can’t stand it when it’s cool and wet. Its dark, dull, grim and depressing. But we all have different weather preferences! 

My thoughts exactly Dan. I have resigned myself to the fact that we need the rain and the past few days have at least watered the garden even if rainfall amounts were nothing significant. 

But i am more than ready for the next installment of Summer and things are really on a knifeedge heading into August with some searing temperatures building to the south. These could head our way or we could be left with a cooler but still warm northeasterly which the ECM favours this evening.

Please god keep temps to 30c or less for the rest of summer, we have had a heatwave  for 60 days in London, Im genuinely surprised and grateful its not killed off my elderly and frail mum! 

I love summer, sun and fine weather, but a humid 35c is no fun and dangerous! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, carinthian said:

Sitting as a ( neutral) in the centre of Euroland its been a fascinating 2018 watching the weather events unfold over old blighty and for that matter much of Northern Europe. 2018 has not been a normal year with some exceptional weather events. 2018 starting mild with hardly any snowfall following a rare green Christmas in much of Sweden, then the end of the winter heralding a potent beast from the East abeit not too prolonged but gave a good reminder that winter can deliver the goods with sub zero temps and drifting snow right across the Islands. Late spring/early summer  heat and drought in NW Britain followed by near record heat by July further south. The southern type continental weather affecting much of Scandinavia with a record July high in Stockholm and temps of nearly 100f in the low countries last week. This weekend the heat continues for much of Northern Europe ( apart from this weekends rainy and windy spell over the British Isles ( just like the old days ). So yes many weather watches will have enjoyed the rather continental climate so far in places regarded as maritime climate the norm. 2018 is turning out vintage year with blizzards, sub zero day temps, heat , record sunshine, drought, thunderstorms and its not finished yet ! Love watching the TV weather reports from back home and updates from my daughter in Stockholm who are having one of the hottest summers ever over there. Long may it continue.

C

Now to top it off, if only we could get a nice '62/'63 winter...not too much to ask for is it 🤨🤔

Preferably followed by a 2007 type summer next year to replenish ground water and keep drought away.

Edited by CreweCold