Sign in to follow this  
Polar Maritime

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

12 minutes ago, mrjolly said:

Actually, when temperatures and humidity were like they were over the past 48 hours down here, it was impossible to get anything done without breaking into a sweat and feeling ill. It was hell. Not a single person I've spoken to was enjoying it.

Still better than being couped up indoors all day!

i don’t even mind blustery days like today, but persistent rain is yuk.

1 hour ago, Djdazzle said:

Tomorrow could be the worst day of the entire summer. Which is typical as we were supposed to be going to the beach for my dad’s birthday.

People may moan about tenperatures in the 30s, but they don’t prevent you from fulfilling outdoor plans, as long as you are sensible about it.

Everyone stuck indoors on a summer Sunday - for those who think that’s good weather, I’ll never understand your logic.

Today has been the first day i've got anything done outside in 2 months,30c temps are not usable at all,it just keep me indoors basically trapped. The car actually looks clean,drive is clean,feel so much better and refreshed,no headache no sweating,lovely.

Just now, markyo said:

Today has been the first day i've got anything done outside in 2 months,30c temps are not usable at all,it just keep me indoors basically trapped. The car actually looks clean,drive is clean,feel so much better and refreshed,no headache no sweating,lovely.

I’m sure you’re glad you don’t live in the SE then!

Tomorrow could be the worst day of the entire summer. Which is typical as we were supposed to be going to the beach for my dad’s birthday.

People may moan about tenperatures in the 30s, but they don’t prevent you from fulfilling outdoor plans, as long as you are sensible about it.

Everyone stuck indoors on a summer Sunday - for those who think that’s good weather, I’ll never understand your logic.

Today would be nice, if it wasn’t for that awful howling wind, it’s ripping twigs from the trees here. Don’t know why wind irritates me so much in summer, but it does! Tomorrow looks worse, typical for the crap to hit at a weekend. Though just a couple of days, thankfully as the weather looks like settling down and warming up again early next week so outdoor activities can be enjoyed again.

To a point, I'd argue that rain doesn't affect as many outdoor plans for most people as severely as 33-34C and 45-50% humidity.  Obviously, if it's teeming with rain it's difficult, but, with the exception of barbecues, most events that necessitate being outdoors (festivals/gigs for example) aren't completely ruined by rain in summer as it's usually warm enough to prevent people from becoming uncomfortably cold.  By contrast, I think most people found doing anything outdoors other than sunbathing in as few clothes as possible/legal over the last 2-3 days here brought them out in a massive sweat, which failed to cool them as the DPs were too high, and left them feeling lethargic/unwell.  If you doubt the accuracy of my comments, ask yourself this - why do the authorities in Australia (a nation whose people are used to heat and whose houses are designed to stay cool rather than insulate the occupants in the cold) start issuing heat warnings advising against exercise or strenuous physical effort outside when the daily maxima exceed 35C?

I’m sure you’re glad you don’t live in the SE then!

Wild horses couldn't drag me down to that hell hole of misery,sweat and utter purgatory ......or in other words,very glad i don't live in the SE.😀 Gods own county does me fine.

Edited by markyo

5 minutes ago, markyo said:

Wild horses couldn't drag me down to that hell hole of misery,sweat and utter purgatory ......or in other words,very glad i don't live in the SE.😀 Gods own county does me fine.

I guess you do have the world snooker championships 

2 minutes ago, c00ps said:

I guess you do have the world snooker championships 

Exactly...proves my point😉

53 minutes ago, markyo said:

I guess we’re the opposite then! 

Living down here in the SE we probably are closest to having what you would call a continental style climate that you could get in the UK. 

If we could see hot summers like this and cold winter weather as we had in March every year I’d be a happy man! 

with the cooler air only just arrived, some people are already looking for the next heatwave

well, some people might just be enjoying this return to 'normal'

once again, max temps are forecast around 8c higher in London, compared to my location for the end of next week

i can't stand the lamestream media always talking about the baking heat in the south-east, as if it's the entire Uk

merely warm, and low 70's, and that's fine, i'll take that

1 hour ago, stevofunnelcl said:

with the cooler air only just arrived, some people are already looking for the next heatwave

well, some people might just be enjoying this return to 'normal'

once again, max temps are forecast around 8c higher in London, compared to my location for the end of next week

i can't stand the lamestream media always talking about the baking heat in the south-east, as if it's the entire Uk

merely warm, and low 70's, and that's fine, i'll take that

Agreed some members continually post about how very hot it is or will become  in the south east, and its fantastic, yet they live hundreds of miles away from these conditions so wont actually experience them, strange mind set there. If its that fantastic etc then move down here and revel in the conditions that you love, got to be better than just looking at pretty colours on a computer screen.

Lovely refreshing rain and wind, arriving on my doorstep, now. But don't worry, "heat lovers", it's not a "Day After Tomorrow", scenario, just a mere "blip", in the heatwave conditions that we've endured in the south of the UK, during the Summer so far.

So don't worry, "heat lovers", the heat will be back, in a few days time, evidently.

Just want to comment on a certain individual, from the South Midlands, who regularly posts on the MOD thread, Evidently, in the coming few days, "we all win at some point". By all means, comment on the model runs but please keep your weather preferences, out of your posts. Come and try living and more to the point, sleeping, in S.E.London, in heatwave conditions!!

I certainly didn't "win", on Monday evening. I ended up in the Urgent Care Unit, at Sidcup's, Queen Marys' hospital. My wife, fraught with worry, that my blood pressure had gone through the roof!!Wouldn't have been good, after suffering a brain haemorrhage/stroke, in Sept.2015!! Fortunately, BP was fine and doctor thought I had a touch of heat exhaustion, caused by the extreme temperatures we've experienced, in the London area.

As other members have stated on here, they've felt quite ill, during these heatwave conditions.

So, I for one, will revel in today's refreshing rain and "howling" (pfft!!) wind. The "heat lovers" can resume their "orgasmic" mode, in a few days time!!

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Rain here this morning, what a change and it certainly has been a long time since we’ve seen these conditions here in the London area. Looks like being useful rain too, which many will no doubt appreciate (me included). Just no more wind!

17 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Rain here this morning, what a change and it certainly has been a long time since we’ve seen these conditions here in the London area. Looks like being useful rain too, which many will no doubt appreciate (me included). Just no more wind!

No sprouts for lunch then!😀 

Some very useful rain i suspect for the old allotment though. Much needed. Nature certainly needs a drink and refresh ready for the next heat build down South.

One redeeming feature of the wind down south is the MD of the company i work for is taking a early afternoon ferry from Dover to Calais and he's not a good sailor....such a shame🤣

Edited by markyo

What a depressing miserable day. Hopefully the last time we see rain before September.

6 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

What a depressing miserable day. Hopefully the last time we see rain before September.

Better not be! For all our sake's!

not happy.....

so the heat is likely to return... but ordinary heat ... what i want to see, to see this summer out and rank it easily as one of the best ever... is a lengthy spell of 30c+ . yes i know the southeast has had it, but i havnt! i love these plumes, i love the heat, i can take the humidity...i like being warm! but plumes are transitory..

anyway, for me, summers nearly over regardless of the weather.

once the nights are drawing in and its dark by 9, once all the scented summer flowers are over, and my lilies are nearly done, buddlia will be in 2 weeks or so, and the swifts have gone... summers over.  i hate the death of nature in autumn.

Morning all,

Not too bad in SE Oxon,

WX Light rain ☔
Temp 15.7C
Humidity 98% 
Rain 4mm since midnight
Wind 5mph gusting 7mph (probably more like 10mph gusting 15mph due to sheltered spot)
Pressure  994.8 hPa and falling

Always amazes me after a prolonged period of no rain, how quickly the garden greens up. Will be cutting the lawn again in no time ☹️

2 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

is a lengthy spell of 30c+ .

I suspect your are in the the minority with that one. Many have suffered,especially further south and i mean really suffered. A lengthy spell of that degree would be more than many could cope with now. Just a normal August would do fine,no extremes,no monsoon,no heatwave,just a re-balance which looks odds on apart from the Southern part of the country.

Hi Mushy  buddlias started flowering a week ago here and  rowan berries were also red a week ago.Lots of plant life more or less one month ahead now. Countryside has the look of early September here.

I think you need to adjust your barometer @Bob G it's about 8hPa too low.

5 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

not happy.....

so the heat is likely to return... but ordinary heat ... what i want to see, to see this summer out and rank it easily as one of the best ever... is a lengthy spell of 30c+ . yes i know the southeast has had it, but i havnt! i love these plumes, i love the heat, i can take the humidity...i like being warm! but plumes are transitory..

anyway, for me, summers nearly over regardless of the weather.

once the nights are drawing in and its dark by 9, once all the scented summer flowers are over, and my lilies are nearly done, buddlia will be in 2 weeks or so, and the swifts have gone... summers over.  i hate the death of nature in autumn.

I have just been out and cut a load of my Lillies for in the house as the gusty winds here today are starting to damage them. I'm looking forward to Autumn, And today is certainly a reminder of what's to come after such a long dry period.

1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

I think you need to adjust your barometer @Bob G it's about 8hPa too low.

Thanks - I'll give it 'kick' later on. I only put an adjustment on the software a couple of weeks ago when we had a stable high over us - I probably forgot to press save, wouldn't be the first time!

Nice refreshing rain and temperatures...aarrrrrrhhhhhhh! - temperatures in the low to mid 20's would do me fine and without the humidity until the end of August please.

2 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Lovely refreshing rain and wind, arriving on my doorstep, now. But don't worry, "heat lovers", it's not a "Day After Tomorrow", scenario, just a mere "blip", in the heatwave conditions that we've endured in the south of the UK, during the Summer so far.

So don't worry, "heat lovers", the heat will be back, in a few days time, evidently.

Just want to comment on a certain individual, from the South Midlands, who regularly posts on the MOD thread, Evidently, in the coming few days, "we all win at some point". By all means, comment on the model runs but please keep your weather preferences, out of your posts. Come and try living and more to the point, sleeping, in S.E.London, in heatwave conditions!!

I certainly didn't "win", on Monday evening. I ended up in the Urgent Care Unit, at Sidcup's, Queen Marys' hospital. My wife, fraught with worry, that my blood pressure had gone through the roof!!Wouldn't have been good, after suffering a brain haemorrhage/stroke, in Sept.2015!! Fortunately, BP was fine and doctor thought I had a touch of heat exhaustion, caused by the extreme temperatures we've experienced, in the London area.

As other members have stated on here, they've felt quite ill, during these heatwave conditions.

So, I for one, will revel in today's refreshing rain and "howling" (pfft!!) wind. The "heat lovers" can resume their "orgasmic" mode, in a few days time!!

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Having lived 47 years in the SE and having now moved to the East Midlands, I appreciate the slightly lower temps here. Not everyone can deal with heat and it's always an argument causing debate. 

I too appreciate this cooler weather and as previously mentioned I will miss more outside stuff in heat than in cold or even warm and wet. 

It's nice to see extremes in weather. Surely that is why we are all here? But a blustery rainy day is still weather and a change is always interesting. 

Roll on Autumn 😁

Edited by Storme