Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Polar Maritime

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

you missed out 76, 90, too..lol. they had early hot spells before a hot dry summer.

i cannot think of a time when we had a hot end to june, then nothing else. of course this isnt a 'thing', an undeniable rule, and this could be the only hot spell we get, but imho its unlikely.

Oddly the summers of 1930, 1940, 1950, 1960 and 1970 all had pretty decent Junes but fell away during July.

Summer 1957 is a good example, that had a heatwave at the end of the June and was very sunny but then was followed by a disappointing July and August.

 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

tbh i dont know... maybe ive forgotten them, i cannot remember a week long hot spell though in those years. i think (like last year) there were possibly 1-2 day hot bits.

 

Aye remember 2005 at Glastonbury amazing start then flash floods that nearly shut down the festival ,up to 6 ft of standing water in places

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Oddly the summers of 1930, 1940, 1950, 1960 and 1970 all had pretty decent Junes but fell away during July.

Summer 1957 is a good example, that had a heatwave at the end of the June and was very sunny but then was followed by a disappointing July and August.

 

I think I can even recall 1970's thundery breakdown (2nd July?). I don't think I can recall a transformation so total as that one was: form weeks of warm sunshine to weeks of utter grot - all in the space of a few hours...Cracking T&L though!⛈️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Oddly the summers of 1930, 1940, 1950, 1960 and 1970 all had pretty decent Junes but fell away during July.

Summer 1957 is a good example, that had a heatwave at the end of the June and was very sunny but then was followed by a disappointing July and August.

 

One can only hope that 1957 repeats its self this year!🤤 Least the days are getting shorter now so something positive at least....I might be on my own on that one i suspect.😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I think I can even recall 1970's thundery breakdown (2nd July?). I don't think I can recall a transformation so total as that one was: form weeks of warm sunshine to weeks of utter grot - all in the space of a few hours...Cracking T&L though!⛈️

I was far to young to remember those days Ed,......😉. I can remember as a small child in the late 80's(ok that's pushing it i agree) the weather turn in Richmond North Yorkshire where i lived, in a few days the river Swale was bursting its banks and the storms where incredible. It was like nature saying that's your lot for this year,get the brolly ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forecast for here in Bristol is Sunny and hot this week. Temps touching 30c by end of week. Is that not hot?

Summer has been brill here - in fact since end April. Luverly!!😎

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, cheese said:

A summer where at least July and August are warmer, sunnier and drier than average. If June ends up being the best this summer has to offer then it will go down as a bad one.

We deserve a decent summer after a.) previous poor to middling summers and b.) that awful, five-month-long winter we've recently endured.  This summer does have the scent of 1976.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Oddly the summers of 1930, 1940, 1950, 1960 and 1970 all had pretty decent Junes but fell away during July.

Summer 1957 is a good example, that had a heatwave at the end of the June and was very sunny but then was followed by a disappointing July and August.

 

may and early june 70 was scorching, there was one bit when the sky turned red, you could look at the sun , my first memery of saharan dust.

fair play, i stand corrected although in my defence i wasnt around for most of those summers lol.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst it’s not a 76 vibe just yet- it’s the making of a 1995 summer. That ebbed and flowed with High Pressure to begin with.

 

The jet has gone far north and the Atlantic is in full slumber. That’ll do me. I’ll take weeks of mid 20s to high 20s over high 30s every time. Makes it more memorable imho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2005 was a very decent summer overall but by no means a classic. Yes it had a hot finish to June and beginning of July but the rest of it was by no means a disaster.

There really aren't many examples, certainly in my lifetime of summers that have had spells like this in late June and then have ended up disastrous.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markyo said:

One can only hope that 1957 repeats its self this year!🤤 Least the days are getting shorter now so something positive at least....I might be on my own on that one i suspect.😀

Not a fan of heat myself. Won't mind too much if the heat lasts for a week or so but then starts to FO after.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think any decent summer should have at least a couple of days reaching 90F along with other extended warm spells. It seems that even in poorer summers, achieving 90F is the norm these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

may and early june 70 was scorching, there was one bit when the sky turned red, you could look at the sun , my first memery of saharan dust.

fair play, i stand corrected although in my defence i wasnt around for most of those summers lol.

I would have thought a summer like 1976 would be as disastrous as a summer like 2012 for a gardener? No rain, grass is parched, ground is rock hard, plants dying of thirst and scorched by a blazing sun. 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I would have thought a summer like 1976 would be as disastrous as a summer like 2012 for a gardener? No rain, grass is parched, ground is rock hard, plants dying of thirst and scorched by a blazing sun. 

Indeed it was. And, once the hosepipe/sprinkler ban came into force - from which, privately-owned golf courses were 'mysteriously' exempt - things got even worse...

Edited by Ed Stone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Did June 2006 get to 30C?

Yes, 12th June. 

Closest we have come to breaking the 13th June anomaly.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

Yes, 12th June. 

Closest we have come to breaking the 13th June anomaly.

Thanks. Do you know where I can access the date records?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Indeed it was. And, once the hosepipe/sprinkler ban came into force - from which, privately-owned golf courses were 'mysteriously' exempt - things got even worse...

Whilst I was only 2 at the time, my late Nan had a wonderful story of having the only clean car in the village where she lived. She knew of a stream hidden away which didn’t dry up and she’d drive it there to wash it :) 

 

Hosepipe bans are at best a ruddy nightmare 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully the ECM is right as I can't complain at that.

Although I wouldn't say it's quite 'hot' here, Met Office show it not exceeding 22C here until Thursday, then up to 25C. I feel it may be over-doing the effect of sea breezes but even so.

A fantastic forecast though with a sunshine symbol every day of the next 7, not seen that for a while. Looks like dryness will continue to be the most notable theme, just without the interest/novelty factor of it being as hot as it could have been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/06/2018 at 07:10, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Sat 30th will be the day the hot spell ends, too bad for heat fans on a saturday, there isn't one,although this one getting better with temps around 21°, 30th though I predict vile with a howling NW'ly

How's that looking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

How's that looking?

Still the case on GFS, with horrid NE'ly, UKMO and EC though remains hot into weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Still the case on GFS, with horrid NE'ly, UKMO and EC though remains hot into weekend

Horrid NE'ly vs vile NW'ly then? Or it could just be a lovely summer's day without rain or wind (ups). Whaddya reckon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...