Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Polar Maritime

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Recommended Posts

 

Just now, Ice Man 85 said:

opening a window helps little with a light to non existent wind from a warm direction. And thinner duvet? I don't know how you can sleep under one at all.

I agree with your first paragraph though. Our homes are not built for hot weather.

20C minimum in the NW is impossible. We get just above 20C maximum during the day anyway in these heatwaves lol.

And absolutely.. Its not like in Spain when walking anywhere inside its nice and cold, its just hot everywhere when its warm here.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cheese said:

In fairness, you're comparing sleeping outdoors to sleeping in British houses that are built with brick and double glazing and no AC, designed to retain heat rather than expel it. Even if it cools down at night, if your house receives sun all day then it's going to heat up pretty quickly.

Though as I said, for me it's not a big deal as I just use a thinner duvet or open the windows.

Id say with all this climate change stuff we'd ought to be installing more aircon in the future. Woefully unprepared

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

 

20C minimum in the NW is impossible. We get just above 20C maximum during the day anyway in these heatwaves lol.

And absolutely.. Its not like in Spain when walking anywhere inside its nice and cold, its just hot everywhere when its warm here.

 

 

20C minimums are absolutely not impossible in the NW - they have occurred before. Here in Leeds they have occurred before. 

It's just very, very, very rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cheese said:

I can't sleep without a duvet - it's not even a case of feeling cool but psychologically I just can't do it. I need something over me and a blanket isn't thick enough.

I feel too 'open' without one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I feel too 'open' without one

If to hot I just turn on ac , works perfectly for me 🤗

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cheese said:

20C minimums are absolutely not impossible in the NW - they have occurred before. Here in Leeds they have occurred before. 

It's just very, very, very rare.

NW Ireland and it becomes practically impossible to achieve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Anyone fancy 40c next week 😂😂

navgem-8-168.thumb.png.042eed6ea35d74b185685294e8f24126.png

navgemfr-8-168.thumb.png.9ae187571cdcdf528cc5649b2055e2ff.png

iceman85 does

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s run by the US navy...probably all had a bit much rum. Seriously though, it’s embarassingly bad at times, really needs looking at. To have such a large chunk of the UK over 100f is ludicrous, even more so with the set up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, parrotingfantasist said:

Id say with all this climate change stuff we'd ought to be installing more aircon in the future. Woefully unprepared

After this Winter/Spring anyone would have thought we was entering a new ice age 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

After this Winter/Spring anyone would have thought we was entering a new ice age 😁

We've gone so long without a proper winter, that people (DailyExpress) start thinking snow is now indicative of an ice age. 🤪

 

Sad times.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big cold front moving through this evening. Going from a high of 32C today to just 20C tomorrow, and not much warmer over the weekend. I hope it doesn't last too long, but at least I'll get to cool the flat down and there could be some fireworks later on.

By the way, I'm coming to Britain in the middle of July so if you're pining for cold, wet weather just wait a few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Big cold front moving through this evening. Going from a high of 32C today to just 20C tomorrow, and not much warmer over the weekend. I hope it doesn't last too long, but at least I'll get to cool the flat down and there could be some fireworks later on.

By the way, I'm coming to Britain in the middle of July so if you're pining for cold, wet weather just wait a few weeks.

Are you living in Bratislava? Been a warm summer so far over there. Pretty good here, too. Though I’m looking forward to moving to the Czech Republic later this year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, markyo said:

Have you ever worked in 40c plus temps with 100% humidity?

nope, dont be silly, neither has anyone else here.

but even so, you would aclimatise , because there ARE people living in extreme heat in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, parrotingfantasist said:

We've gone so long without a proper winter, that people (DailyExpress) start thinking snow is now indicative of an ice age. 🤪

 

Sad times.

 

depends what your idea of a 'proper' winter is.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

nope, dont be silly, neither has anyone else here.

but even so, you would aclimatise , because there ARE people living in extreme heat in the world.

Nor has anyone in the world as 40C with 100% humidity doesn't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

Nor has anyone in the world as 40C with 100% humidity doesn't happen.

Is it actually impossible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Is it actually impossible?

My understanding is that it is not naturally possible for that to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cheese said:

My understanding is that it is not naturally possible for that to happen.

It probably feels like a steam sauna. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

nope, dont be silly, neither has anyone else here.

but even so, you would aclimatise , because there ARE people living in extreme heat in the world.

I work in those conditions daily,so i'm not being silly!! Trust me you don't acclimatise,you just have to put up with it

Edited by markyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cheese said:

My understanding is that it is not naturally possible for that to happen.

No its not natural conditions,i work in man made created heat,the problem is the cooling off afterwards,here the weather has a massive effect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, markyo said:

No its not natural conditions,i work in man made created heat,the problem is the cooling off afterwards,here the weather has a massive effect

I'm surprised that you are still alive as with that combination the heat index is way off the scale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working in 40 c heat is very doable,I've done it you just need to be hydrated,electrolytes balanced and a hose pipe to soak your head , it can be fun 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, knocker said:

I'm surprised that you are still alive as with that combination the heat index is way off the scale.

Its in steam decom rooms,they have to have no forced air induction and no open windows,we have to be careful,salt tablets/solutions in really hot weather. Timed on the worst sites. H&S on these ones i totally agree with! Some you can only stand a few minutes at a time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markyo said:

I work in those conditions daily,so i'm not being silly!! Trust me you don't acclimatise,you just have to put up with it

you work 24/7?....


nope thought not, so how can you acclimatise whe you work 8 hours shifts (presumably) 5 days a week (presumably).

the point is that people who DO live in extreme heat/cold, DO acclimatise to it. in previous heatwaves where ive worked in 30c+ temps in the sun (with dirt and insects) you do get used to it.  thats not the same as your conditions where after work youre back into normal conditions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Are you living in Bratislava? Been a warm summer so far over there. Pretty good here, too. Though I’m looking forward to moving to the Czech Republic later this year.

 

Moving to Czech Republic?????

Edited by Wimbledon88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...