Sign in to follow this  
Polar Maritime

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Just now, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I  suspect this is the point from which the cold period fades.  Met Office ensembles and high-resolution models obviously back the UKMO output, hence the FAX cgarts, plus GFS is consistent.

TBH chris GFS might well deliver but im left wondering if EC is going to be too fast with the easterly?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Cant help but feel deflated that this isnt December or january.

This has been the best winter for cold, frost, snowfall for a long time.  To cap it off we may get a deep cold pool spell.  Whats there to feel deflated about?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Freezing-Point said:

This has been the best winter for cold, frost, snowfall for a long time.  To cap it off we may get a deep cold pool spell.  Whats there to feel deflated about?

Just prefer the easterly if it arrives to get here in December, probably sounds ungrateful , it probably is.

Hopefully the uppers will be low enough to negate the longer days,sun etc..

Its just my preference TBH.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

It might have  been the best winter for you, but for many its been rubbish.

Thats life i guess..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Team Jo said:

Can't seem to get rid of quote box, sorry.

Anyway what sort of temperature would those -20 uppers that are showing in the eastern cold pool at the back end of the GFS - would that be around -8 maximums in town centres? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Can't seem to get rid of quote box, sorry.

Anyway what sort of temperature would those -20 uppers that are showing in the eastern cold pool at the back end of the GFS - would that be around -8 maximums in town centres? 

For this time of year -7 or -8.

Wish I had a mobile hot soup kitchen I'd make a fortune

40 years ago this weekend was the Great Southwest Blizzard, a howling Easterly Gale, and over a foot of level snow , together with enormous drifts .   3 weeks or so before my 18th birthday, Will we see a possible repeat performance  ?:D

• Like 2

There really could be some Serious weather in South East England gfs ecm and many more met Office very cold temperatures and snow it’s about time us in South East England proper cold spell that’s if it comes off..:cold:

6BA5414E-41E2-46FE-8567-2672D2579D1C.png

42424BFA-1A84-41F7-A577-178EE4AE4098.png

154DB392-5927-415F-812C-E0359FA68948.png

11ACF27B-697A-4063-B09E-F7146297CBD7.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

There really could be some Serious weather in South East England gfs ecm and many more met Office very cold temperatures and snow it’s about time us in South East England proper cold spell that’s if it comes off..:cold:

6BA5414E-41E2-46FE-8567-2672D2579D1C.png

42424BFA-1A84-41F7-A577-178EE4AE4098.png

154DB392-5927-415F-812C-E0359FA68948.png

11ACF27B-697A-4063-B09E-F7146297CBD7.png

It is about time for everyone to enjoy.i do hope this does not become a North/south

Bickering thread.yes we have had some cold spells here,but for my location snow has

Been pretty scarce.anyway it not a done deal so let' all sit back and see what unfolds.

C.S

14 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

It is about time for everyone to enjoy.i do hope this does not become a North/south

Bickering thread.yes we have had some cold spells here,but for my location snow has

Been pretty scarce.anyway it not a done deal so let' all sit back and see what unfolds.

C.S

Agree 

BBC I player weather says Easterly next week and getting significantly clder. 

1 hour ago, Freezing-Point said:

it may have been a good winter for you lot up north but for us down south its been uneventful like the past few winters

• Like 1

At times I wish I never had twitter the misinformed rubbish that is circulated around. :wallbash:

On a positive note today’s model orotund has only enhanced easterlies taking a hold it’s gone from 80/20 for me therefore highly likely. ECM is the top model it’s time, it showed this.

5 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Cant help but feel deflated that this isnt December or january.

Sure, feel the same.

I have been hoping for a proper beast for 39 yrs. 

I cannot see anything serious happening now.

Damn easterly will come and give us a bitter but bright  spring. Hope it gives way for summer. Easterly summers are bad.Here anyway. straight of the sea.

The time could be coming close.. to finally be able to hype... The Beast from the East

With the Met O forecast now mentioning the possibility of significant snowfalls, but still a lot of uncertainty, about where

Maybe for once, this one won't go down the sh.....oo-hole

Met Office & BBC Weather still seem very bullish about the outcome being some sort of Easterly by the middle/end of next week.

It's a long time since we've heard words like "winds coming all the way from Russia and Siberia' in a weather forecast for the UK.

How it all pans-out in terms of deep cold and whether it will result in a significant snow event is still very much open to question.

But, surely this is our best chance of something decent in terms of cold & snow for the snow starved cold lovers in SE England.

I just wish it had happened 6 weeks ago when the sun was in a much weaker phase!

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 1

All the good stuff is more or less ..........day 10 again lol.

Might get the beasterly in June lol. 

Yep deep cold pushed away on ecm,no ice days like yesterday’s run,if we are going to get this Siberian blast,then it needs to get a move on here.

March is fast approaching and the chance of bitter cold and lying powder snow diminishes pretty quickly here,better for further North of course ,but even the snows in mid march 2013,never stayed on the ground for long here.

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 1

Downgrades on 00Z's, beast on GFS arrives in FI, Mon 26th, and past 240 on EC, deep FI, seem to have been here for weeks, beast is not getting any closer

• Like 2

Morning runs always downgrade for some reason it's the same most days. Then by the time time we get to 12s it will upgrade again. Just makes me wonder if it's to do with overnight data but it's clear most mornings downgrade.

• Like 1

That ruddy vortex still trying to scupper our cold easterly!!:angry:

GEM my pick this morning followed by GFS..

EC op might produce after day 10 but upto day 10 there is no significant cold showing..

• Like 1