Jump to content

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Nicholas B said:

Indeed! People are exploding in the street, its total chaos!!! Plus its still drizzling too, its the end i tell ya, the end!!

There has just been a severe weather warning for cold drizzly rain..be afraid, be very afraid!:shok::D

Might have to take shelter in knockers woodshed:)

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lesson learned, I think. I have been following the Met Office forecast for the past week. It didn't hype anything, there was no hysteria, just a calm and measured forecast which has turned out to be correct so far. Silly me for having believed the hype in the MAD thread, or for having been unable to sort the wheat from the chaff on that thread.  Maybe we see what we want to see. I am pleased however to see the Met Office has mentioned the POSSIBILITY of some snow showers to us in the Wild West for tonight and in the South over the weekend.

Anyone that does get any..........enjoy!

 

Edited by noggin
Correction
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to get this weekend of the way, and look forward to some warmer day's next week.

Who likes cold biting winds & grey skies with temps of 3.5c, utter rubbish!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, noggin said:

Lesson learned, I think. I have been following the Met Office forecast for the past week. It didn't hype anything, there was no hysteria, just a calm and measured forecast which has turned out to be correct so far. Silly me for having believed the hype in the MAD thread, or for having been unable to sort the wheat from the chaff on that thread.  Maybe we see what we want to see. I am pleased however to see the Met Office has mentioned the POSSIBILITY of some snow showers to us in the Wild West for tonight and in the South over the weekend.

Anyone that does get any..........enjoy!

 

Well put!   I read Met Office but wanted to believe the MAD thread  ( kidding myself)  Never falling into that trap again, it's too depressing when the inevitable happens

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rant time! All this talk of spring next week and looking forwards to early spring warmth blah blah blah, well you can all go and balls. nobody is having spring or summer until i have had my mongooseing winter :D

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing to look forward to with the latest met office update, sounds BORING just like this pathetic winter so far with no wintry weather indicated through the rest of Feb and into March..all the effort we put in on netwether has again come to zilch..just like last winter.:diablo:

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Paul White. said:

Rant time! All this talk of spring next week and looking forwards to early spring warmth blah blah blah, well you can all go and balls. nobody is having spring or summer until i have had my mongooseing winter :D

Ha ha and the daffs can just go back down until ive seen all the snow I want! It needs to be in order!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Nice direct Easterly showing on the BBC forecast there for Saturday.... 7 degrees in the SE!!

 

Yes, awfully wet weekend coming up low levels south, then temps gradually rising, could feel like Spring by Wed, light winds double digit temps

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the moans here are appalling, writing off winter and its only Feb 10th and yet theres still loads of cold in Europe not really going anywhere yet . And to think of it there has been loads of cold and snow this winter in the NH, only the cold air just didn't make it as far west as we wanted it, nothing poor about that.  But lets look forward to what a 'poor' dry snowless winter means for spring and summer, are we are in a solar minimum?

Edited by 40*C
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 40*C said:

Some of the moans here are appalling, writing off winter and its only Feb 10th and yet theres still loads of cold in Europe not really going anywhere yet . And to think of it there has been loads of cold and snow this winter in the NH, only the cold air just didn't make it as far west as we wanted it, nothing poor about that.  But lets look forward to what a poor dry snowless winter means for spring and summer, are we are in a solar minimum?

Personally I just want to see some measurable snow since we haven't had any since January 2013. I'm not particularly bothered about it staying around for days, so anything in the rest of February, March or April that manages that will be most welcome. Its far too early to write anything off.

Who knows what will happen this summer/spring though. I'm not entirely confident as we've had MLB and favourable summer synoptics for 2½ months now. Sods law says just as those synoptics start being able to deliver warmth that they'll vanish without trace and we'll have endless Atlantic and Greenland highs! I'm already surprised the slug to our east has been so stubborn, can it really persist for another 6 months?

Mind you, the North Pacific high has been there semi-permanently for pretty much 2-3 years now ruining our winters, so who knows?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 40*C said:

Some of the moans here are appalling, writing off winter and its only Feb 10th and yet theres still loads of cold in Europe not really going anywhere yet . And to think of it there has been loads of cold and snow this winter in the NH, only the cold air just didn't make it as far west as we wanted it, nothing poor about that.  But lets look forward to what a 'poor' dry snowless winter means for spring and summer, are we are in a solar minimum?

2019-2020 is the expected date.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 40*C said:

Some of the moans here are appalling, writing off winter and its only Feb 10th and yet theres still loads of cold in Europe not really going anywhere yet . And to think of it there has been loads of cold and snow this winter in the NH, only the cold air just didn't make it as far west as we wanted it, nothing poor about that.  But lets look forward to what a 'poor' dry snowless winter means for spring and summer, are we are in a solar minimum?

Normal default N Europe winter. The cold pool only reaches here once in a while over, say, a 10-year period.

That is ALWAYS my starting point for any UK winter. Add in the gulf stream and the British Isles geo pos, right next to the Atlantic, and one can manage your own expectations for every Winter in the UK.

Weather Model output beyond 5 days is fraught with too many variables, both micro and macro.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What to take from the model output so far and for the rest of this winter, 1 ignore the cold rampers who mention cliches like 'building blocks' 'baby steps' and 'epic runs' and 2, if you want an accurate prediction of what's to come, back the model that shows you what you DON'T want to see if you love cold and snow. That way you will avoid being disappointed.  A few people in here said the cold spell will be dumped and got mauled for expressing this opinion......oh dear, I guess that's lesson number 3.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, booferking said:

One huge difference the north sea cold pool & around uk.

Yes wondered if a cool spring might be on the cards but not as cold as 2013. Maybe the stratospheric warming hinting at this too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me down in Oxford it's been best winter for years lost count of frosts cold days,ok Snow has been limited yes a few flakes today.But on the whole best since we had 8" of snow few years back.

Prefer these days to wet & windy mild yuk keep it and the only thing lacking is 4/6 inches of Snow and  as usual  that might be around  march or Easter as usual. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spikey M said:

We've had snow here off and on most of the day. You couldn't dust a cake with it, but there we are.

Same here been on of since 9am and nothing settling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...