Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
  • Location: Cambridge, UK

    http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/storms-to-batter-uk-with-wind-and-rain-from-late-january-into-february/70000661

    Has
    this been linked to already? Apologies if it has. Big call from accuweather - basically writing all of February off as a wind and rainfest, with a few named storms. I haven't seen anyone else go for this prediction! :cc_confused: A tad premature you'd think with the impending SSW and the chaos that may bring?

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 12k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    This is wrong on so many levels...

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: Leeds
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
  • Location: Leeds
    2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

    http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/storms-to-batter-uk-with-wind-and-rain-from-late-january-into-february/70000661

    Has
    this been linked to already? Apologies if it has. Big call from accuweather - basically writing all of February off as a wind and rainfest, with a few named storms. I haven't seen anyone else go for this prediction! :cc_confused: A tad premature you'd think with the impending SSW and the chaos that may bring?

    I think their December forecast was the same - they were going for rain and wind.

    I think they're taking lessons from some people on here. Say it enough times and it will be proven correct eventually.

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: North Bristol
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms / Sunshine / Snow
  • Location: North Bristol

    What is interesting is we have now been in a blocked pattern pretty much since the end of November, with subtle changes in the air flow determining our surface weather. Generally and unfortunately, heights have sat too far South or limping around between Azores and Europe.

    It just hasn't fallen into place to allow many people to see snow so far. However here in the W country we have certainly seen many more frosty & icy nights this season...I think it was last year I could count the number of frosts on one hand? I also think in general many regions have experienced a much drier than normal winter season so far, as well. I personally find it boring, but each to their own and understandably at least there aren't floods!

    My question is just how long this blocking can last? Surely eventually we will see a period of a stronger, zonal jet. It seems to get pushed back a tad day by day, and I am just hoping we don't end up with a wetter and cooler Spring/Summer...

    Edited by Chris K
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Near Southend, Essex
  • Location: Near Southend, Essex
    29 minutes ago, Chris K said:

    and I am just hoping we don't end up with a wetter and cooler Spring/Summer...

    You can bet your mortgage on it.

    • Like 5
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Home: Nr Malton, Howardian Hills 53m asl Work: North York Moors
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
  • Location: Home: Nr Malton, Howardian Hills 53m asl Work: North York Moors
    1 hour ago, cheese said:

    Ice day tomorrow, according to the BBC.

    9fe255a358cf4b41bdd203c444477961.png

    I noticed this, could be the first one since Jan 2013 in many places.

    Only problem is its not forecast to drop below freezing untill 1am here so we could have an unfortunate case of midnight tonight being the warmest temp :(

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: South Norfolk, 44 m ASL.
  • Weather Preferences: Not a fan of heatstroke.
  • Location: South Norfolk, 44 m ASL.
    52 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

    6546464.png

    In other words, ignore those who claim to 'know' what's going to happen for the next month.

    • Like 8
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Wildwood, Stafford 104m asl
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
  • Location: Wildwood, Stafford 104m asl

    I never really trust ECM, looks wrong again badly on yesterdays 12Z, GFS looks closer

    cheese, yes, bitterest feeling day in ages tomorrow, sleet/snow grains/ ice pellets possible

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

    http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/storms-to-batter-uk-with-wind-and-rain-from-late-january-into-february/70000661

    Has
    this been linked to already? Apologies if it has. Big call from accuweather - basically writing all of February off as a wind and rainfest, with a few named storms. I haven't seen anyone else go for this prediction! :cc_confused: A tad premature you'd think with the impending SSW and the chaos that may bring?

    Sounds lovely anything is better the the boring crud with had in last week 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.

    Judging from all the activity in here and in the MAD thread, yesterday's hints towards impending Snowmageddon were a wee bit premature?:D

    • Like 5
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Salzburger Sportwelt Lungau/ Pongau Region. Somtimes Skipton UK
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
  • Location: Salzburger Sportwelt Lungau/ Pongau Region. Somtimes Skipton UK

    WARNING OF A SNOW RAMP....A snow grain is likely to affect parts of the SE tomorrow....meanwhile a weather spokesman has reassured the great public of the home counties that travel disruption seems unlikely at this stage but will monitor the snow grain situation. The local education authorities have warned children not to make a snow grain ball just in case the intended target cannot see it coming. The SOUTHEAST snow preservation society are getting excited about this rare event and have issued all members with magnifying glasses and torches to find the exclusive snow grain. Finally, rest assured the media weather presenter ( with a smile on his face ) says , " The snow grain will not last longr as you will be all pleased that milder conditions will soon take over ".....

     C

    • Like 8
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Warsaw, Poland. Formerly London.
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
  • Location: Warsaw, Poland. Formerly London.
    5 minutes ago, carinthian said:

    WARNING OF A SNOW RAMP....A snow grain is likely to affect parts of the SE tomorrow....meanwhile a weather spokesman has reassured the great public of the home counties that travel disruption seems unlikely at this stage but will monitor the snow grain situation. The local education authorities have warned children not to make a snow grain ball just in case the intended target cannot see it coming. The SOUTHEAST snow preservation society are getting excited about this rare event and have issued all members with magnifying glasses and torches to find the exclusive snow grain. Finally, rest assured the media weather presenter ( with a smile on his face ) says , " The snow grain will not last longr as you will be all pleased that milder conditions will soon take over ".....

     C

    When will the mass panic set in?

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Salzburger Sportwelt Lungau/ Pongau Region. Somtimes Skipton UK
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
  • Location: Salzburger Sportwelt Lungau/ Pongau Region. Somtimes Skipton UK
    5 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

    When will the mass panic set in?

    Southern Rail have cancelled all train journeys throughout the SE tomorrow as the snow grain is of the worst kind of snow !

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Staines, UK or Prague, Czech Republic
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
  • Location: Staines, UK or Prague, Czech Republic

    Well I think it has been quite a good colder spell over the last couple of weeks. All the lakes here are completely frozen over by a good 3 inches of ice. I can't do any work on the allotment as the top couple of inches of soil is also frozen solid. We've had hard frosts, freezing fog and loads of sunshine. No gales too. A week or two of Atlantic weather isn't the end of the world and we have February to get through yet which is often our coldest, snowiest month. We shall see...

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
    9 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

    Well I think it has been quite a good colder spell over the last couple of weeks. All the lakes here are completely frozen over by a good 3 inches of ice. I can't do any work on the allotment as the top couple of inches of soil is also frozen solid. We've had hard frosts, freezing fog and loads of sunshine. No gales too. A week or two of Atlantic weather isn't the end of the world and we have February to get through yet which is often our coldest, snowiest month. We shall see...

    The problem is that the Atlantic weather is arriving just in time for February, and we know that when it gets in (with a strong Atlantic jet), it can hang around like a bad smell. Last thing we need is an Atlantic wasted February and an easterly wasted March. I'm hoping for a Feb 2006 style of Atlantic spell where Tm air only lasted a day or two then it was Pm all the way until the jet dived so far south that easterlies came in over the top and led to the late Feb-early Mar cold spell. That, three weeks earlier, would be ideal!

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.

    It's snowed in the States. It's snowed in Spain. It's snowed in Greece. And what do we get here in Blighty? Freezing sodding drizzle!:wallbash:

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Corby 130 meters above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
  • Location: Corby 130 meters above sea level
    Just now, Ed Stone said:

    It's snowed in the States. It's snowed in Spain. It's snowed in Greece. And what do we get here in Blighty? Freezing sodding drizzle!:wallbash:

    I have said before think it will snow anyway but here. Cold enough for snow last few weeks nothing  Then little bit warmer no problem with the persipication coming then.:wallbash:

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Netherlands close to the coast
  • Location: Netherlands close to the coast
    9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

    It's snowed in the States. It's snowed in Spain. It's snowed in Greece. And what do we get here in Blighty? Freezing sodding drizzle!:wallbash:

    You forgot to mention it snowed in the Sahara desert, a whole whopping meter of snow

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Erith. SE London/kent 40m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
  • Location: Erith. SE London/kent 40m asl
    18 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

    You forgot to mention it snowed in the Sahara desert, a whole whopping meter of snow

    Yes it did, there was a fair bit of snow around in North Africa, not just on the Atlas mountains. I really thought that we surely could not go three snowless years but had a feeling that we might get the cold but not the snow. I guess the wet snow event the other week was better than nothing but but it was very much the scraps from the Winter table, to have missed out on the Easterlies that ended up effecting the Med was the most annoying part of this Winter.:nonono:

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Telford, Shropshire
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy
  • Location: Telford, Shropshire
    13 hours ago, Neilsouth said:

    The mods are even deleting posts thanking other members for informative write ups, even related to the models! ( Wasn't a one liner either )

    No wonder I stopped posting for over a year

    I do lurk on the model thread on a daily basis, and you're absolutely correct in your assertion.

    It's an informative thread, but thanks to the iron-handed moderation it is certainly the dreariest and po-faced.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hernia Bay
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
  • Location: Hernia Bay

    And just to add insult to injury the Atlantic is waking up angrily silenced and about to unleash torrents of rain for about a week one system after another. Oh don't bother looking at precipitation type it's gonna be windy and mild so RAIN RAIN bloody boring rain you can bet the models will be right that's a dead cert wen it comes to rain it always sodding does 

    Edited by snowfish1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Wildwood, Stafford 104m asl
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
  • Location: Wildwood, Stafford 104m asl
    8 hours ago, snowfish1 said:

    And just to add insult to injury the Atlantic is waking up angrily silenced and about to unleash torrents of rain for about a week one system after another. Oh don't bother looking at precipitation type it's gonna be windy and mild so RAIN RAIN bloody boring rain you can bet the models will be right that's a dead cert wen it comes to rain it always sodding does 

    Could be a contender for wettest February on record, I expect flood warnings issued during early Feb

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
  • Location: Cambridge, UK

    Just out of interest, is the wettest February on record 1833?? Trevor Harley's site says 158.6mm.

    A bit extreme to go for that outlook already!

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Alvechurch 8 miles South West of Birmingham
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
  • Location: Alvechurch 8 miles South West of Birmingham
    15 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

    Could be a contender for wettest February on record, I expect flood warnings issued during early Feb

    I have seen many a winter and without doubt this will go down as the most disappointing just 1 day of falling snow and that produced a scarce dusting. now a February of Atlantic drive dross

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Irlam
  • Location: Irlam
    5 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

    Just out of interest, is the wettest February on record 1833?? Trevor Harley's site says 158.6mm.

    A bit extreme to go for that outlook already!

    Yes. June 2012 was wetter than this by the way. 

     

    Edited by Weather-history
    .
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest
    This topic is now closed to further replies.
    • Settled, dry spell continues as daytime temperatures edge up a degree or so

      The risk of frost continues and it is chilly out of the sunshine but the fine, dry spell continues this week as the temperatures creep up, closer to average rather than below as they have been. Read the full update here

      Netweather forecasts
      Netweather forecasts
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      2021 Arctic Sea Ice Melt Season Outlook

      Samual Hayes explores the trends and the main influencing factors as the Arctic Sea Ice Melt season for 2021 gets underway. Read the full article

      BornFromTheVoid
      BornFromTheVoid
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      Cold waves hitting Europe continue to threaten growers, is there a link to climate change?

      Much of Europe, not just the UK, has experienced unseasonably cold weather since the Easter Weekend. A plunge of cold arctic air brought by northerly winds early last week brought several nights of frost and even snow across large swathes of Europe, followed by another wave of cold arctic air spreads across much of Europe this week. The frosts causing damage to new growth in vineyards and orchardsa0spurred on by a late March heatwave, the vineyards of France werea0particularly badly affected.

      Nick F
      Nick F
      Latest weather updates from Netweather 4
    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...