Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Hoping that East Kilbride lives up to its reputation tomorrow :-)

• Like 3
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 3.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We haven't seen a blizzard like this for a few years! Can't walk outside, it's blinding.

Whole family has had fun with pup today who picked up a snowball on her name tag proof of freezing temperature.  Mrs Northernlights took these photos      Clear skies now and -0.8c Quite the Snow Dog!

Still piling up. About to don my ski goggles and head out for a wee wander.

Posted Images

Posted
    19 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

It's those in and around the amber area and with modest elevation (~100m) that's very hard to call....that would include you! I think it will depend on where the heaviest precipitation sets up and if you are under it and benefit from evaporative cooling it could end up being a nice little event.

Good shout I think. Amber area or not I think it's too marginal for my location and I'm prepared for a day of sleety pish! A trip up into the Pentlands could be on the cards though :)

• Like 2
    Posted
    44 minutes ago, ruzzi (snowboy) said:

In my head I had made some sort of similarity with the snow storm of 26th / 27th February 2001 and this approaching 'snow' storm, however upon checking it's not really similar at all. It was my all time best snow day.... 60cm of level snow and drifts so big that I could walk onto the roofs of cottages and over the top of transit vans. Don't know if anyone remembers it? 

IMG_4058.PNG

Similar dates in 2010 brought huge snowfalls under a stalled occlusion to the Northern Cairngorms and Strathspey, I think the bulk fell on the 25 and 26th from a quick look at old charts. As for 2001 I recall a huge fall on CairnGorm overnight Tuesday 6th into Wed 7th March and it fell in mostly light winds after a stormy Tuesday, however a synoptic pattern that stood out from 2001 that brought another one of that years huge dumps was this in early Feb:

feb2001triplestack.thumb.gif.005ebbba5281de538377effdce87e119.gif

A similar 'triple stack' showed up in the models for late Feb 2010, the charts didn't end up quite as neat and tidy as those three lows lined up, but the effect was similar:

Rrea00120100226.thumb.gif.6ab521911c57fe552a228aa6f32a67b7.gif

Something in the order of 72 inches of snow on the CairnGorm plateau from radar returns in 2 and bit days - leading to this at Glenmore:

morlich27feb2010.thumb.jpeg.fa856d4ff247cc6089c57439ea2b6fba.jpegglenmore27feb2010.thumb.jpeg.cc4b2a1580c2cffe8b8a9967d8af7218.jpeg

Edited by skifreak
    • Like 7
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Good evening!

I decided to panic buy at my local ASDA. No rolls or milk left on shelves thanks to me :)

Generator is ready.

Candles on standby.

Shipping Forecast duly listened to see where Storm Doris is.

Longjohns looked out. Spikes for shoes looked out. Snow tyres fitted to car.

Checked in on all my neighbours see if they needed anything. Snow shovel ready. 

Filled up pale from council grit bucket.

Bring it on!!

• Like 7
    Posted
    1 minute ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

Good evening!

I decided to panic buy at my local ASDA. No rolls or milk left on shelves thanks to me :)

Generator is ready.

Candles on standby.

Shipping Forecast duly listened to see where Storm Doris is.

Longjohns looked out. Spikes for shoes looked out. Snow tyres fitted to car.

Checked in on all my neighbours see if they needed anything. Snow shovel ready. 

Filled up pale from council grit bucket.

Bring it on!!

That better not be the generator for the snow dome round here. lol

• Like 3
    Posted

Upgrade from the meto! More places included in  the Amber. Ramp! (East Kilbride, Greater Glasgow and North of the central belt)

Edited by Ross B
    • Like 3
    Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
    4 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

Look at all that snaw piling into the system south of Iceland.

snaw.PNG

Ah Mondy's back, must be a chance o' some real snaw eh!

Big Innes

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
    3 hours ago, mardatha said:

SLAP BANG ON TOP MY ROOF lol

Big white hole on mine :diablo:

Posted
    1 hour ago, Ross B said:

I'm officially on a snow day tomorrow now, not risking the foot of snow on the m74 even though I kind of want to test the car out in the snow! 

I'd be inclined to try the B7076/B7078 on the assumption the overwhelming majority will stay on the '74 where your car makes no odds if everything has come to a stop up ahead. 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

Amber warning extended further north into stilring and into glasgow in the west. the warning is in the outskirks of edinburgh either

would that mean a red warning for major citys with a snowstorm coming.... only kidden were not england:rofl:

hope everyone gets the snow there wanting lol

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Trying not to get too excited, primed to work from home if necessary, would love a snow day. 

Edited by snowidea
    Posted

It seems that Storm Doris will conjure up some weather of interest. It's been a dull and disappointing winter with not a lot happening, especially as far as typical winter weather goes. 

We've had two occasions of lying snow, one in early November and one last month bringing 1cm. There have been a couple of winters poorer than this but it's been pretty disappointing after the promise in November - which had the best of the cold. In the absence of cold and snow, at least there's been an absence of the more unpleasant varieties of winter weather. 

Anyway, tonight is set up to be pretty interesting. This sort of event involves fine margins between nothing and a pasting. I'm sure some will be very successful,  the Borders in particular and I'm looking forward to your reports and pics. 

I'm currently in Bearsden, which is just outside the Amber zone and given the winter so far, I'm cautious of my prospects. I'm hopeful of seeing snow or possibly some accumulations, but depending on whether factors are on my side then I could be rewarded with a snowfall to remember the winter for. I'm under 150m, and might be on the wrong side of the heaviest precipitation, but this set up is a bit of a lottery so you can never be sure what to expect which makes things pretty exciting. I'd settle for an inch, but whether I see something better or nothing at all remains to be seen. 

Good luck everyone.

Edited by A Winter's Tale
    • Like 5
    Posted

I hope @mardatha has some diazepam and a kitten to cuddle for her hubby, tomorrow is going to be a long day for that gentleman..

With set-ups like this in the past we've often got waaay over the MetO predictions, so fingers crossed for all you guys in the firing line, hope youse get pasted :)

Few rogue snow showers here this morning to get us in the mood for whatever rolls in tomorrow. Plenty pictures please people 

• Like 5
    Posted

Yeah undercut from the north along with evaporative cooling.  Just noticed frostys gfs chart posted in model output has the heaviest snow central belt north... but time for nowcasting really. 

Edited by Ross B
    • Like 3
    Posted
    17 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

Am assuming the cold air still coming in, as temp risen here to 4C

Doesn't feel like in any way there is going to be snow here either anytime soon. Feels about the same as you temp wise, GLA says 4oC, Yahoo weather says mainly rain all tomorrow and next day, although YW is usually wildly inaccurate.

Edited by grifter
    Posted

Expecting the usual disappointment here but we'll see...

Edited by 101_North
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Light rain here currently, but it looks a little sleety to the anticipating eye. Some speckles of green on the radar on the higher parts of Western Scotland and the Southern Uplands. BRING IT ON! Also nice to see the Amber Warning being stretched towards me more, happy days! 

Posted

well it's raining lightly here now too but a noticeable chill in the air. Couldn't resist making my own wee measuring stick, firmly in place in the front garden. Been optimistic and made it up to 10 inches. Hope that's not the killer jinx!  

IMG_4060.PNG

Edited by ruzzi (snowboy)
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Can confirm it's currently pouring.

Away to build an ark brb...