Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We haven't seen a blizzard like this for a few years! Can't walk outside, it's blinding.

Whole family has had fun with pup today who picked up a snowball on her name tag proof of freezing temperature.  Mrs Northernlights took these photos      Clear skies now and -0.8c Quite the Snow Dog!

Still piling up. About to don my ski goggles and head out for a wee wander.

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

This is the road out of the village, not the one the daughter got stuck on, which was much worse. 

IMG_20170210_085015.thumb.jpg.7dc56c8ea7ec35f8e5ba3364a4b7d38e.jpg

IMG_20170210_085153.thumb.jpg.58c27b36f8e129702a29d126125c76c9.jpg

Hastily taken and didn't have time to take any more, or better ones. 

Edited by Ravelin
    • Like 7
    Posted

Glad you were able to sort out your daughter's difficulties and no harm was done.

Roads pretty dicy here too with a thin covering of freezing snow.

I am due to go to the Mintlaw, New Pitsligo area this afternoon, but I'm minded to cancel - especially after reading your post above!.

• Like 1
    Posted

That's a cautionary tale @Ravelin, glad it worked out okay. There's no snow in St Andrews but the higher areas out of town and in the surrounding countryside have a light cover. The roads have been bad here too. The gritters were out but I think the showers just around dawn washed away some of the grit and then black ice took hold. 

Mostly cloudy with the odd light flurry, 2c.

Posted

That's the warnings issued for overnight and into tomorrow for Lothians, Borders and further south. Mostly higher ground but temp accumulations to lower levels blah, blah, blah. Pretty standard wording which generally equates to" hee-haw for most"! 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
    17 minutes ago, ciel said:

Glad you were able to sort out your daughter's difficulties and no harm was done.

I am due to go to the Mintlaw, New Pitsligo area this afternoon, but I'm minded to cancel - especially after reading your post above!.

Not wishing to jinx either your journey or the snow for those who want it, but the radar is showing showers heading towards most of the east coast from Caithness down to the borders (apart from the inner Moray Firth of course).

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    31 minutes ago, ciel said:

Only you can decide whether it's necessary but if the council get their act in gear and grit the roads you should be OK. Daytime temps will help and I doubt that any of the showers will be heavy or sustained enough to cause problems. 

• Like 1
    Posted
    15 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Not wishing to jinx either your journey or the snow for those who want it, but the radar is showing showers heading towards most of the east coast from Caithness down to the borders (apart from the inner Moray Firth of course).

4 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Only you can decide whether it's necessary but if the council get their act in gear and grit the roads you should be OK. Daytime temps will help and I doubt that any of the showers will be heavy or sustained enough to cause problems. 

I've cancelled and rearranged for next week - I would be traveling home around dusk and, in addition to the road conditions, I really dislike driving in that half-light.

I'm not actually able to link to the NW radar - the page is telling me that it is unavailable or busy, but my internet connection is pretty hopeless anyway atm.

Posted
    4 hours ago, 101_North said:

Not even a sprinkling! This winter is dead to me!

Sadly Euro4 agrees with you Catch!

17021112_1000.gif

That darkest pink blob below the 1036 line is pretty slap bang over me and at 200 meters ASL and just about far enough west to hang on to the 0C dew points then I fancy my chances for something a tad more than a dusting tomorrow. Fingers tightly crossed for just one decent fall before the end of winter. 

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    2 hours ago, ruzzi (snowboy) said:

That darkest pink blob below the 1036 line is pretty slap bang over me and at 200 meters ASL and just about far enough west to hang on to the 0C dew points then I fancy my chances for something a tad more than a dusting tomorrow. Fingers tightly crossed for just one decent fall before the end of winter. 

There's defo scope for somewhere at reasonable altitude in the western Borders or North Lanarkshire getting a pasting. I'd need to look at Google Earth later and have a punt at it. 

Edit: Somewhere near Broughton in the far west of the Borders ( @ruzzi (snowboy) )

Edited by CatchMyDrift
    • Like 1
    Posted
    37 minutes ago, ruzzi (snowboy) said:

Get up early, get the kettle on, you might have some visitors!

• Like 8
    Posted

Sanw, big fat 50p size flakes, and more than 10 of them as well. :yahoo:

Edited by Cheggers
    • Like 4
    Posted

East Caithness coast looks white, with the snow line down at sea level further north.  No more recently in Moray.

• Like 2
    Posted

Had a decent (albeit shortlived) shower of snow this morning. Briefly settled on roofs/cars but all gone again

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 hour ago, 101_North said:

Get up early, get the kettle on, you might have some visitors!

Will do.... I'll certainly have the camera at the ready if it materializes 

Posted

Heaviest shower so far in Edinburgh City Center. 

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Every now and again I feel the need to post a completely random post, this one at least is weather related. I'm only posting it today as I am out west and took the pics today. Several years ago, perhaps in 2010 if my memory serves me well, there was a very dry spring in the west of Scotland. The woods at the back of my parents' house in Kilmacolm suffered an ongoing underground fire for many weeks. It was the very definition of a slow burner. The underlying rock is igneous & non-porous, the earth is very shallow and it's usually water logged. With it being a coniferous wood there is a thick mat of fallen pine needles and this had dried out and then caught fire. The fire burned very slowly, more of a smoulder, but it burned for weeks. The fire left a lot of tree roots badly damaged and the trees have been susceptible to wind damage over the years. Parts of the woods now look quite spooky years later with fallen trees and green moss growing where the trees once stood:

IMG_1876.thumb.JPG.0343e7f257ea88b2b31dcfcbd53f1f73.JPGIMG_1877.thumb.JPG.bc2157891330edd70e13be3035232529.JPG

• Like 9
    Posted
    1 hour ago, 101_North said:

Heaviest shower so far in Edinburgh City Center. 

Yeah, youngest HC got that too, he said 'useless, didn't lie at all...'

Posted

Thin covering here at Kinross services.

Snaw showers on and off on the drive from lauder.

Setting off for next leg to Carrbridge soon. Hills in the distance looking white so should be a picturesque drive.

• Like 3
    Posted

Heavy snow here out of the blue. Did not expect a thing from an easterly. 

• Like 2
    Posted
    36 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Yeah, youngest HC got that too, he said 'useless, didn't lie at all...'

Yep. Useless is right! The showers are at least getting heavier before they turn to rain later LOL

Posted

Very few showers over Firth this morning20170210_135424.thumb.jpg.805bbacebb6b975f20d4ebcb7c2ba6e9.jpg20170210_135448.thumb.jpg.fbc687ebe6da9c95a6eae98d8bf29853.jpg but they pepped up later in the afternoon at sunset. 20170210_145640.thumb.jpg.ab9f157a40b58fa44a8ce7368c8c491f.jpg20170210_164250.thumb.jpg.0fddd8b4ce46734b41a06e974c98ec79.jpg20170210_164855.thumb.jpg.6b5932e750ab612eed4172c010ee0ef2.jpg20170210_164908.thumb.jpg.eb02e36d986537ee03db4dbeb16d3954.jpgMostly sunny today and temperature rose to 3c currently 0c

• Like 6