Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

My current browser tabs:

1. talkhearts (ahem)

2. Traffic Scotland twitter

3. NW Radar (so I can cry at all the snow further north)

4. This page.

5. Calculating and Using Days Inventory Outstanding (so I can cry)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

What, @Hairy Celt has snow, hell, now I am feeling left out.

Dry and snowless here with the temp at 1.3C at 8am. Looking n the bright side, there's virtually no cloud, the wind has dropped and the sun is out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic
8 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

My current browser tabs:

1. talkhearts (ahem)

2. Traffic Scotland twitter

3. NW Radar (so I can cry at all the snow further north)

4. This page.

5. Calculating and Using Days Inventory Outstanding (so I can cry)

Im just missing the twitter feed....:wallbash: Hee Haw snaw here but wasnt expecting any TBH. HIRLAM has an interesting feature tonight around 20:00 across central scotland however.

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 09.29.12.png

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Kayemill said:

Update from home.

image1.JPG

Similar level of cover to this in East Kilbride, after another heavy shower on the way here.

A smattering of wet snow in Motherwell, as the snow only appeared to have start lying in the hours before dawn.

Posted

Covering here with more inbound, need to head out for a drive and test the winter tyres out... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Flurrying away here which has given a cm or 2.   Looks interesting for tonight tho'?

aircam_pic.php.jpe

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
3 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Flurrying away here which has given a cm or 2.   Looks interesting for tonight tho'?

aircam_pic.php.jpe

You're getting a better share of the showers then we are by the looks of it. I can see the murk to the southwest but we're just out of the firing line.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

1st image is up behind my house. Quite snowy with a touch of height.

2nd is looking north and you can just about make out a very snowy start of the Southern uplands but a snow shower was moving in so obscures it somewhat.

3rd image is the sunset in Roma, Australia (Queensland i think) which my sister took. Still 36c there at 7:30pm. Had a high of 41c. She loves it so idk how she is (was) from Scotland! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted

A shower just before 6 this morning gave a covering here (maybe a centimetre) not a lot but it's something. Not half cold outside!

Posted

Am now told my route home is closed with two lorries and traffic police all stuck.

Edit: White oot in Prestwick at sea level.

Edited by Kayemill
  • Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

You're getting a better share of the showers then we are by the looks of it. I can see the murk to the southwest but we're just out of the firing line.

I'm hoping tonight will prove better for us.   All in all, after the mild blip (?)  although looking dry it will be very cold under the high.   I think us Scots will have to be a little more patient before we see any worth while snow.  Looks as if it will be quite a lengthly cold snap though.:)

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
2 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I'm hoping tonight will prove better for us.   All in all, after the mild blip (?) for us although looking dry it will be very cold under the high.   I think us Scots will have to be a little more patient before we see any worth while snow.  Looks as if it will be quite a lengthly cold snap though.:)

The stuff lying outside the now doesn't look like going anywhere as well with temps at or just above freezing for the next few days. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 minute ago, Blitzen said:

I'm hoping tonight will prove better for us.   All in all, after the mild blip (?) for us although looking dry it will be very cold under the high.   I think us Scots will have to be a little more patient before we see any worth while snow.  Looks as if it will be quite a lengthly cold snap though.:)

Lengthy cold snap? Next week looks mild again to me :cc_confused:   Or do we have different definitions of mild perhaps?

Jinxed the bloody showers for here by telling you lot I have 1cm - nothing but the odd flurry in the last couple of hours!  Gonna get out later...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
3 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Lengthy cold snap? Next week looks mild again to me :cc_confused:   Or do we have different definitions of mild perhaps?

Jinxed the bloody showers for here by telling you lot I have 1cm - nothing but the odd flurry in the last couple of hours!  Gonna get out later...

Overall this next 10-14 days looks like a cold spell but Sunday-Tuesday does look way too mild for snow, all will be lost (apart from maybe for NS).

However it will be a cold high after that by the looks of it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
6 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

Looks seasonal norm to me ?

t2mStirlingshire.png

Maybe so, but I'd still think most people would consider temperatures hovering around zero from Thu onwards as cold. Assuming it doesn't change.

Got a text message a few minutes ago, Flood Alert issued for the Moray and Aberdeenshire coasts. High tides and strong winds by the looks of it.

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Mild  for a few days I was thinking.   After that though, the cold under that high ( if it doesn't change) should last for a bit.

Posted

Off work due to childcare issue so took the wife into work in Kilmarnock. Roads utter chaos. The Firestone Winterhawks didn't miss a beat however. I really rate them as a winter tyre. Current view but there seems to be a break in the showers for here after this one.

image.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
27 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Maybe so, but I'd still think most people would consider temperatures hovering around zero from Thu onwards as cold. Assuming it doesn't change.

Got a text message a few minutes ago, Flood Alert issued for the Moray and Aberdeenshire coasts. High tides and strong winds by the looks of it.

That is the system that will be very interesting to watch.   Same thing happened a few years ago regarding a wave being pushed down the North Sea and again it was concerning.   However, as it turned out,  sea level only rose about 3 feet giving a few splashes over some sea walls around  the south east.  I assume most will be hoping for the same outcome.

Edited by Blitzen