Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion


Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, Jules79 said:

To be honest I'm happy for spring to roll in now, until this country learns to cope better with snow it just causes too much chaos, all the footage on the news of people stranded in the roads in just a couple of inch of compacted snow! 

 

I'm afraid that will never happen UNLESS we start to get regular, severe, prolonged cold spells.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A friend's snowman has started to limbo all by itself.

Some pics from Todmorden

Guys - hope your doing well & enjoying the snow Good luck to all tonight !!!

Posted Images

The sun has made an appearance, so would expect a thaw to start taking place! 

 

Storm Emma making a move westwards again, so not sure its gonna get here! 

Edited by LeeSnowFan
Link to post
Share on other sites

i am now quite happy for the thaw to set in, Had my snow days with the kids, been sledging, thrown snowballs and enjoyed it, thats what my love of snow is all about. ?

having said that though im ready for the kids to be back at school on monday and be able to go out in my car when i want to ?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got to say the paths out there are Lethal today. Stay safe people. Got to say I echo a few thoughts on here this morning that the thaw can set in for me now. Need the paths to unfreeze and to be able to get the cars off the side streets that are just pure sheet ice. Hopefully a big thaw over the weekend so everyone can get back to normality on Monday.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another snow day but working again from home. Cars still stuck on our (side) street and folk tentatively trekking outside. My biggest worry? Trying to find where the dog has left her not so little parcels so I don’t tread in any I didn’t manage to scoop up straightaway lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, terrier said:

Got to say the paths out there are Lethal today. Stay safe people. Got to say I echo a few thoughts on here this morning that the thaw can set in for me now. Need the paths to unfreeze and to be able to get the cars off the side streets that are just pure sheet ice. Hopefully a big thaw over the weekend so everyone can get back to normality on Monday.

Pretty bad up here but my Brother in East Kent reporting an ice storm at the moment.  -4c and rain at the moment down there.  Sheet ice everywhere multiple accidents and motorways and roads being closed left right and centre.  :sorry:

We do not need that here!  Just hoping for some plain old snow later that will do me!   :cold:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

So after about 80 hours of heavy snow showers coming to an end for me late morning yesterday.. Now the high winds creating havoc more so on slightly higher routes even though the snow had stopped its actually created more severe weather. Cutting off more community’s like myself. Bringing major motorways to a standstill  for many hours over night in the freezing cold. I can only hope no more deaths have been caused and my thoughts go out to the families and friends of those that have lost their lives. 

We have had our fun now and I’ll be more than happy with a thaw. Although I hope it’s a slow thaw otherwise it’s going to create another hazard for some in the form of floods that’s the last thing we want to see is people losing property due to floods. 

There’s still going to be a battle ground for us and we may still get heavy snow at times with frosts over night and ice as this transition into spring slowly progresses but these heavy snow storms if we get them will be more like we are used to with the snow melting quickly.

saying all this I would of loved a grand finale with Storm Emma and maybe we still might get the dregs as the wind slowly drops aiding the system to push further north Tonight/Tomorrow. But I’m hoping the farmers will do u great job again as they always do so I can at least go to the Pub for a pint of two over the weekend that would be a perfect end to an exciting week for us cold lovers. :drinks:

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Meto app just got a bit more interesting for this area.  Snow now showing between 2am tonight until 1pm tomorrow with even a bit of heavier stuff showing in the early hours all with sub zero temperatures.

Then more snow between 10pm tomorrow night and 6am Sunday morning.

Maybe there is life in this cold spell yet?!  :cold:

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Meto app just got a bit more interesting for this area.  Snow now showing between 2am tonight until 1pm tomorrow with even a bit of heavier stuff showing in the early hours all with sub zero temperatures.

Maybe there is life in this cold spell yet?!  :cold:

  • East Riding of Yorkshire
  • North East Lincolnshire
  • North Lincolnshire
  • South Yorkshire

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Freezing rain will remain a risk until early afternoon, leading to very icy surfaces in places. Snow amounts will be generally smaller than seen on recent days but a further 2-5 cm is likely in a few locations, most likely this afternoon and evening across Wales, the Midlands and East Anglia. Up to 10 cm is possible in a few spots, especially east Wales.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:
  • East Riding of Yorkshire
  • North East Lincolnshire
  • North Lincolnshire
  • South Yorkshire

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Freezing rain will remain a risk until early afternoon, leading to very icy surfaces in places. Snow amounts will be generally smaller than seen on recent days but a further 2-5 cm is likely in a few locations, most likely this afternoon and evening across Wales, the Midlands and East Anglia. Up to 10 cm is possible in a few spots, especially east Wales.

Yes warnings now removed North of South Yorkshire.  Cue whiteout blizzard conditions!  :rofl:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

So barnsley, sheffield, wombwell etc still forecast ? 

Just zoomed in on the warning zone and Sheffield is in it but Barnsley isn't.  The Northern extent of the warning area seems to stop at the top of my road.

Will have to have a wander up tonight to see the Winter Wonderland!  :rofl:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I cancelled my chiro Appt tonight just in case (if I don’t turn up they can charge) more pretty snow would be nice I  haven’t been able to get out to take photos  cos Im working at home but over the weekend I might hobble to the park :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

lying snow now thawing in west hull.we  have had 3 days of lying snow,about an inch in depth.but ultimately could and should have been a lot better.east Yorkshire must be the most unluckiest place in the uk regarding snow.nw winds are no good,we never get the northerlies now and now easterlies are skirting round us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's clear, as far as I know. There have been some issues with drifting, so it might be slow in places, and some of the backroads in Skipton itself are very icy with compacted snow, etc. But the main route should be okay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, doctordunc said:

It's clear, as far as I know. There have been some issues with drifting, so it might be slow in places, and some of the backroads in Skipton itself are very icy with compacted snow, etc. But the main route should be okay.

Thanks for that much appreciated mate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

lying snow now thawing in west hull.we  have had 3 days of lying snow,about an inch in depth.but ultimately could and should have been a lot better.east Yorkshire must be the most unluckiest place in the uk regarding snow.nw winds are no good,we never get the northerlies now and now easterlies are skirting round us.

Yes being very frustrating here all the snow seemed to be north and south of here and we was stuck in middle of nothing most of time. Wednesday was great though heavy snow and strong winds an sight to behold but half of that had dissapeared by morning like magic lol. Must admit that sun feel lovely now if out of the biting wind really feels quite pleasant. And to cap it all Sunday looks like rain here and shows inland and the North East getting snow again great.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Went for a drive to Immingham this morning to do a site visit and it was mad how much less snow they had compared to here in Scunthorpe just a fairly short drive away. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...