Jump to content
ajpoolshark

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

No more snow please... as much as I like it, i'm off to an event in Bristol over easter.

My company provided car's owners won't allow winter tyres to be fitted, they won't even change them till the tread is at 2mm. I'm not alone, I suspect alot of company car drivers have the same restrictions. I might get some snow socks though if next winter shows signs of repeat.

Echoed my sentiments - I drive a work vehicle and it's a Corsa car van and yes we get in drilled into us about how low the tread needs to be for tyres to get changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Radar pepping up a little in the trench of doom.  Clutching at straws?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jules79, seriously I'd look at getting some winter tyres (I'd recommend Bridgestone Blizzaks). Honestly the difference in traction roadholding and braking on ice, snow, slush or even cold wet roads is astonishing even on a 2WD car.

We fit winter tyres to all our vehicles, usually in September and leave them on until March/April depending on weather. As long as you have somewhere to store them just buy a cheap second set of steel wheels and have the winter tyres fitted to them so you can swap them on yourselves. My wife and I can drive our powerful rear drive cars on sheet ice and even 3" snow with no wheelspin (on winter tyres) where even 4x4's on summer/all season tyres struggle for grip.

Over the long term they don't cost any more money because while the winters are fitted you are not wearing out your summers and vice versa so a set of summers and a set of winters typically last us 6 years of driving (15K miles a year).

Our Land Rover is actually a daily driver, not just for winter but due to only doing 6K miles a year of local driving that stays on winter/snow tyres year round and the tyres still last 40K+ miles. :-)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

With regards company car, van and truck drivers - I had same with my employers refusing to pay for winter tyres so I took cash alternative and ran my own vehicle. However if winters were mandatory (in wintry conditions) it would prevent these employers from putting lives at risk to save money. I accept that UK is a moderate climate and not too many snowy winters but we do have cold wet roads and ice alot more frequently than snow and winter tyres are safer in those conditions too.

My wife wants the warm weather ASAP because she has loads of seedlings to get outside and a veg garden to attend to. She is far less of a cold fan than me and the kids :-)

 

Edited by OldLandRover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well looking outside today you could be fooled into thinking it was Spring. The sun has shone all day long and although it's chilly, it's given me hope that Spring will soon arrive. The little bit of snow we had has all but gone. Here's hoping I won't be back for Easter ! 

Have a good Spring/summer guys. See you all next winter 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just nipped out and its crunchy now under the tires on my road. Icing up now that the sun is going down. It could be very tricky in the morning around Yorkshire, a hard frost tonight and refrozen slush and melted snow is the worst....

Take care if your out and about this evening and in the morning :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, OldLandRover said:

With regards company car, van and truck drivers - I had same with my employers refusing to pay for winter tyres so I took cash alternative and ran my own vehicle. However if winters were mandatory (in wintry conditions) it would prevent these employers from putting lives at risk to save money. I accept that UK is a moderate climate and not too many snowy winters but we do have cold wet roads and ice alot more frequently than snow and winter tyres are safer in those conditions too.

My wife wants the warm weather ASAP because she has loads of seedlings to get outside and a veg garden to attend to. She is far less of a cold fan than me and the kids :-)

 

Mine won't do the cash alternative. If they did i'd get a van or something similar which would hold tools and spares without weighing the back down, taking space making the car useless for personal use (unless I spend 2h emptying everything)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit more snow floating around atm also showing a bit more on the radar 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

Just nipped out and its crunchy now under the tires on my road. Icing up now that the sun is going down. It could be very tricky in the morning around Yorkshire, a hard frost tonight and refrozen slush and melted snow is the worst....

Take care if your out and about this evening and in the morning :)

I am delivering around Sheffield tomorrow, hoping that the roads will be clear, as I have a drop in Crookes around 10am and I've seen photos from there this morning and safe to say it looks a bit tricky!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

Mine won't do the cash alternative. If they did i'd get a van or something similar which would hold tools and spares without weighing the back down, taking space making the car useless for personal use (unless I spend 2h emptying everything)

Yeah, cash alternatives used to be more common back in the 90's and early 2000's. I managed to get a leased 4x4 double cab pickup on my cash alternative, the company car option was a BMW Mini - no brainer really. I still run a jap pickup as the main family car because it is really practical for a large family. My new Navara is averaging 36mpg too so not that bad economy for a two ton 4x4. It hits 50mpg on the motorway. 

Back to the weather:

Really odd, wind picked up again, temp suddenly dropped to zero and it started snowing. The radar doesn't show anything over us at all. I wasn't expecting any more.

 

 

Edited by OldLandRover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tinker Bell said:

Well looking outside today you could be fooled into thinking it was Spring. The sun has shone all day long and although it's chilly, it's given me hope that Spring will soon arrive. The little bit of snow we had has all but gone. Here's hoping I won't be back for Easter ! 

Have a good Spring/summer guys. See you all next winter 

 

Pretty much all gone here too, despite no sun and a temp of no higher than 1.6C. I can't believe it didn't happen again for us in this area. Hopefully next winter is all northerlies rather than these garbage easterlies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

I am delivering around Sheffield tomorrow, hoping that the roads will be clear, as I have a drop in Crookes around 10am and I've seen photos from there this morning and safe to say it looks a bit tricky!

Those pics were me and my daughter out for an early morning explore . Depends where your drop is ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, fazzafarrand said:

Bit more snow floating around atm also showing a bit more on the radar 

 

Them in south east are getting a bit more than they expected, looks as though it's moving north west but it won't affect us, midlands might get some.

As I speak a few tiny flakes coming down here. 

Edited by Bradowl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, jam said:

Those pics were me and my daughter out for an early morning explore . Depends where your drop is ?

Will be driving from University area to Crookes, Jack Fulton's shop on main road, then heading down other side to Hillsborough from there.

PS: Its a 26 tonne lorry, hence my concern :p

Edited by vizzy2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

Interesting. 

overview_005.jpg?2018031812

Well it's snowing sideways here now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, boyzie said:

Well it's snowing sideways here now.

Few tiny flakes blowing in wind here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snow. Getting heavier. Another convergence zone????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

Interesting. 

overview_005.jpg?2018031812

Could we get another covering tonight? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you replay the radar you can see the heavier showers descending towards Bradford from 16:00.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Will be driving from University area to Crookes, Jack Fulton's shop on main road, then heading down other side to Hillsborough from there.

PS: Its a 26 tonne lorry, hence my concern :p

It’s all clear now.. snowplough and a few gritters . You’ll be fine 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well that stuff from the south east is definately making its way towards us and there is ppn building in situ around us at the mo too. Could be another covering again by morning lol :laugh:

Edited by Winter Cold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

Well that stuff from the south east is definately making its way towards us and there is ppn building in situ around us at the mo too. Could be another covering again by morning lol :laugh:

I don't recall that on the forcast but it does look to be heading our way if not a little too far West?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, boyzie said:

I don't recall that on the forcast but it does look to be heading our way if not a little too far West?

yeah certainly not forecast, and it could still miss us and just affect the midlands, it is moving NW steadily but ill keep an eye on it for a little longer :cold:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A sensuous feather bed of deep white fallen snow here in the Hope Valley tonight, with icicle bedposts and spun-drift-dunes of compressed powder.

A welcome candle-lit refuge at the hidden away Shack after a day wandering on the hill.

There’s a chap in the far field who has insisted on staying under canvas with his vociferous dog these past two nights. A red dome and a white dog with two bright pink mouths. Snow-stuck fur and clothes. Muddy-thawing paws and boots. I took them an extra sleeping bag and a hot water bottle - as the night is charged with ice - cold like a stab of hope; cool, like a streak of courage and thin-grinning as the sliver of waxing hours past a new moon destined to be rising beyond the wind freeze and sky-brushing trees.

 

 

Edited by Che
Spelling
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×