Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Similar here this morning @mike57

Settled on bin lid, shed roof, and cars etc.

We were forecast -1c overnight yet we didn't drop below 1c at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Steady light snow falling here now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Yes, same here, a few light showers of tiny graupel here.
2.7 C on the outdoor thermometer.
(not a great deal warmer indoors as my central heating is kaput !)

B.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Away from Barnsley home atm, up on the North Yorks Moors and have seen light snow on and off all day.  A nice heavy shower passed through whilst we were in Goathland, which was timely and nice to see a light covering!  Back in Hutton Le Hole now and light snow showers passing through but not settling.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

No dusting here light snow flurries all day. Should be be a dusting as it's only just above freezing. Just checked the ground temp and it's only just got to freezing. Unfortunately these Davis sensors have a resolution of 0.5C so it could be eitehr side of freezing. Since it's not settling and the ground is wet I suspect it's above which explains no ice or frost or settling snow.

Looking at Saturday that looks good for snow. I can't see why TV forecast says it'll turn to rain as there isn't any milder uppers coming in although the dew points do go up a bit for reasons unknown then fall away again. Lets see what happens.

Posted

A nice covering now in Hutton Le Hole and still coming down moderately.  Off out shortly for a meal in Lastingham over the edge of the moors so the first time out in proper snow in our Volvo XC60.  I've had it 4 years in March and this is the first time I will have used the 4-wheel drive when it has snowed and actually needed it, so could be interesting!

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

A nice covering now in Hutton Le Hole and still coming down moderately.  Off out shortly for a meal in Lastingham over the edge of the moors so the first time out in proper snow in our Volvo XC60.  I've had it 4 years in March and this is the first time I will have used the 4-wheel drive when it has snowed and actually needed it, so could be interesting!

You've timed that trip well!

I was in Goathland today visiting Malyan Spout waterfall, and experienced that moderate snow shower you did around 3.30ish, was nice to see a covering down to modest levels. I would imagine there will be a decent covering come morning if the showers continue.

Only the odd flurry here but thankfully I'm only 20 mins from the North York Moors and will be spending much of my weekend there :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny
1 hour ago, vizzy2004 said:

I was in Goathland today visiting Malyan Spout waterfall, and experienced that moderate snow shower you did around 3.30ish, was nice to see a covering down to modest levels. I would imagine there will be a decent covering come morning if the showers continue.

Only the odd flurry here but thankfully I'm only 20 mins from the North York Moors and will be spending much of my weekend there :)

I've just had a ride up there , 10 mins from whitby a nice covering up there , had snow down here but melted quickly 

Posted
19 minutes ago, Stozzy said:

I've just had a ride up there , 10 mins from whitby a nice covering up there , had snow down here but melted quickly 

Yes a covering at least across much of the North York Moors, and the radar keeps on bringing the showers in! Could be 10cm or more on Blakey Ridge by Sunday! Pint at the Lion Inn anyone? :p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Given that pressure and thickness values are pretty high i am actually quite pleased at the shower activity we are seeing and it being able to make it inland even if light. This should get stronger as the trough axis approaches on Saturday, enhancing instability. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

Yep, we did...you clearly had more energy than us today making the trek down to Mallyan Spout.  We opted for walk around the village and were sheltering a coffee shop during the snow!  

The trip out to Lastingham this evening was fairly uneventful as although there was a nice covering on the roads it was nothing to really test the 4-wheel drive.  Maybe tomorrow, following some more overnight showers!

Posted
2 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

Yes a covering at least across much of the North York Moors, and the radar keeps on bringing the showers in! Could be 10cm or more on Blakey Ridge by Sunday! Pint at the Lion Inn anyone? :p

Yes, agree.  There was a light dusting at the Lion around 10am this morning, which was better than Tuesday when we drove past it without even seeing it the fog was thick!  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

light dusting on cars this morning. some of the lawn round the back of the house.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

I wonder if that big 'blob' of I assume snow expanding just off the coast is heading in Yorkshire's direction.  Could give a decent covering to Eastern areas at least providing it doesn't die out as soon as it hits land?

20170210_064947.png

Edit - looks like it might be more of a Lincs / South Yorkshire event looking at the potential direction of travel.....

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

I wonder if that big 'blob' of I assume snow expanding just off the coast is heading in Yorkshire's direction.  Could give a decent covering to Eastern areas at least providing it doesn't die out as soon as it hits land?

20170210_064947.png

Edit - looks like it might be more of a Lincs / South Yorkshire event looking at the potential direction of travel.....

Well I'm hoping it's snow on the coast as planning to go to Bridlington today.   Anyone in Brid who can say?  

We've had a little more overnight in Hutton Le Hole but only enough to cover the cars and grass with nothing on the main road (although gritter came through the village 30 mins ago).

Posted

There is a very light fall of fine snow every so often but it's not settling at the coast it was 2C at home this morning however there is a light covering over the Wolds

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow
23 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

Well I'm hoping it's snow on the coast as planning to go to Bridlington today.   Anyone in Brid who can say?  

We've had a little more overnight in Hutton Le Hole but only enough to cover the cars and grass with nothing on the main road (although gritter came through the village 30 mins ago).

I'm in Bridlington just had a heavy shower mostly hail with snow mixed in. Just waiting to see if that big blob of precipitation gets here lol

• Like 1