Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
beerandkebab

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Seasonal weather required said:

I think what Andy is saying though, is that Derek is only concerned by his own appearance in front of the nation as opposed to the information he is to deliver.

Will be interesting to watch Derek from now on as the pressure is most certainly on .

Knowing that he is being heavily scrutinised akin to  a premier league football manager could make or break him .

He is already nervously flapping a bit so we shall see .

Im not happy with the way he laughed about Hendy having no snow .

Thats a crime against us weather enthusiasts and one for which is a sacking offence on its own .

Then to call / mock Swansea for being tropical at 5 degrees - well , not only is that factually incorrect it’s also a sacking offence - in my opinion of course - which could be right or it could be ridiculous wrong of course .

 

I've got to admit I've always liked Derek and his enthusiasm for cold snowy weather. I'm normally so engrossed in the charts that I don't really look at the presenter, although BBC Wales does have some pretty awful ones. Always thought Derek was decent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, andymusic said:

i noticed derek panicing yesterday on his forecast making sure he was telling us about the snow coming tonight - maybe he has had a load of twitter abuse and his bosses have given him a roasting too - he's very lucky he didn't get sacked - if it was me i would have sacked him - too interested in how he looks on camera and less interested in doing the job he's paid for

 

untitled.png

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Wales was adequately warned about this event, it was flagged up very early in the week by Derek, all the talk was of 'the beast from the east' etc,  possible snow depths were widely publicised in advance, so job well done.  The fact that that practically all the schools were closed in advance, places of work shut early , and hundreds of motorists weren't trapped overnight in their cars suggests the message did in fact get out.   

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JamesL said:

I've got to admit I've always liked Derek and his enthusiasm for cold snowy weather. I'm normally so engrossed in the charts that I don't really look at the presenter, although BBC Wales does have some pretty awful ones. Always thought Derek was decent. 

Indeed it does in particular those presenters that do not know their east from the west!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Some extra snow tonight.18_30.gif

Much milder and wetter by Saturday though unfortunately.

 

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snowing here at the moment. Massive flakes, not like the powdery stuff from a few days ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bafan said:

Snowing here at the moment. Massive flakes, not like the powdery stuff from a few days ago.

We have sleet here down in the valley in Aberdare. My guess is Tredegar across to Brynmawr will have another couple of inches of wet snow later on tonight/early tomorrow morning 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Peter A said:

I think Wales was adequately warned about this event, it was flagged up very early in the week by Derek, all the talk was of 'the beast from the east' etc,  possible snow depths were widely publicised in advance, so job well done.  The fact that that practically all the schools were closed in advance, places of work shut early , and hundreds of motorists weren't trapped overnight in their cars suggests the message did in fact get out.   

Totally agree 👏🏻 You only had to have seen the live updates from the A470 at 6pm Thursday night before the real heavy stuff started. One car every 30 seconds. Normally it would be a traffic jam. I think the message was taken on board. 

Remember that a red warning CANNOT be issued 12-24 or more hours before a severe event is "highly likely" 

To issue one would again be foolhardy and panic people unnecessarily. The Met and BBC IMHO did a very good professional job regarding the severe weather. 

Infact handled better than any other event in the last 10 years where there has been plenty of egg on faces 

Edited by JamesL
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Yellow Warning of Snow for Wales : Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Powys, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Torfaen & Wrexham valid from 0005 Thu 08 Mar to 1100 Thu 08 Mar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Bafan said:

I get what Andy is saying. We are not average joe bloggs on here... We are weather fans who are on forums, some can read model outputs etc and we knew there was a "possibility" of this happening weeks ago. My mother, for example, is in her 70s, does not have Internet access and relies solely on tv forecasts.  There wasn't enough stress put on the potential snowfall... If she didn't catch the forecast til late in the evening after the red warning, it would be to late for her to prepare. I had already sorted her and just as well I did as today was the first time I got up there since last Wednesday. A warning is what it says...a warning. It's not a 100% guarantee that something will happen but it "warns" us of how bad it could get.  Defo more notice was needed. We've still got mountains of snow here and I just got stuck in the main town carpark, wheel spinning all over the shop. That being said meto are damned if they do and damned if they don't.  They got slated after the red warning issued in 2013.  I still love Derek though lol.

but i'd rather warn people and save lives than not warn - even if it mean't egg on my face if the weather did a massive u turn - maybe what needs to happen then is less of the cloak and dagger stuff from these weather scientists - they need to be open straight after an event like this and either they got it right so they are exonified and given a pat on the back for doing well and hopefully going with their gut instinct and warning early - or if they did warn early and the weather backed out of being bad - explain in a program EXACTLY WHY this happened to make people understand that they were seeing a Siberian dooms day but it veered off at the last minute - WHICH IT DIDN'T DO THIS TIME - and it was pretty obvious from two weeks out with the gfs and ecm output just how deep the cold was gonna be with the Siberian upper air. It still astounds me with some of the geniuses that must be working at the met office that none of them really had the gumption or the foresight and confidence to really give out over a weeks warning rather than just a few days - so that people could really prepare properly for this event

Edited by andymusic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, JamesL said:

Totally agree 👏🏻 You only had to have seen the live updates from the A470 at 6pm Thursday night before the real heavy stuff started. One car every 30 seconds. Normally it would be a traffic jam. I think the message was taken on board. 

Remember that a red warning CANNOT be issued 12-24 or more hours before a severe event is "highly likely" 

To issue one would again be foolhardy and panic people unnecessarily. The Met and BBC IMHO did a very good professional job regarding the severe weather. 

Infact handled better than any other event in the last 10 years where there has been plenty of egg on faces 

I'm not on about any red warning - I'm on about a general warning one to one and a half weeks in advance - a proper heads up that things could very well take a turn for the worst and the very very cold air is gonna be crippling for the elderly/homeless and vulnerable - and life will become a lot harder with the frozen pipes potential power cuts - and snow disruption - by giving out a general warning way in advance people start to prepare and get ready - yes red warnings asap on the day or the night before is right thing to do - but at least give the general public a chance to get supplies in and work out all their back up plans to stay safe then! surely that's a good idea not a bad one - and refer to my post above if the weather veers off in another direction - get the beeb or met office to explain properly to try and make people understand why it didn't quite materialise the way it should have - BUT IT WAS ABSOLUTELY OBVIOUS THAT THIS TIME WAS GONNA BE BAD AT LEAST 2 weeks OUT

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand from reports Merthyr & Tredegar are getting some healthy amounts of snow already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Marcus_surfer said:

Bring on summer and storms please !!!

won't be yet - could be cold all the way to easter - at least we have an earlyish easter this year

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just under 1” on the ground this morning in Trefriw, still snowing moderately at only 30m asl. Reports of snow down to the coast at Bangor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snow came last night before i went to bed cant see at the mo how much but already got some from last time....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look like about 4 or 5 inches of snow here at sea level! Wasn't expecting that!! Much more thay we've had last week!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, andymusic said:

I'm not on about any red warning - I'm on about a general warning one to one and a half weeks in advance - a proper heads up that things could very well take a turn for the worst and the very very cold air is gonna be crippling for the elderly/homeless and vulnerable - and life will become a lot harder with the frozen pipes potential power cuts - and snow disruption - by giving out a general warning way in advance people start to prepare and get ready - yes red warnings asap on the day or the night before is right thing to do - but at least give the general public a chance to get supplies in and work out all their back up plans to stay safe then! surely that's a good idea not a bad one - and refer to my post above if the weather veers off in another direction - get the beeb or met office to explain properly to try and make people understand why it didn't quite materialise the way it should have - BUT IT WAS ABSOLUTELY OBVIOUS THAT THIS TIME WAS GONNA BE BAD AT LEAST 2 weeks OUT

I think hindsight is a great thing. We can all look back at the models and see what they were showing BUT how often have they come to fruition? The Met were talking about a cold spell in the monthly outlook a couple of weeks prior but until they are fairly sure what the broad Synoptics are they can't just panic people Andy and go mainstream. That's just how it is. 

In an a ideal world we would all know (with certainty) when a high impact event will hit but in the chaotic world of weather it's just not possible. 

We will agree to disagree. Imo people were given a heads up a week or more before the events last week through forecasts and the media. 

Sometimes the responsibility has to lie with the public. There will always be those idiots that go out no matter what. That's life. 99% of people took the warnings seriously. 

And I will say again. The Met, BBC and other media outlets did a great job throughout. Hey even the Express got it right lol! 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another snowy landscape this morning.  Now a mixture of rain and sleet so should wash it all away during the day. Hopefully the final snow day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup can confirm 4-5 inches in caernarfon. North Wales

IMG_20180308_075356.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next to nothing here marginal isn`t the word to use.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wrong thread

Edited by Chris.R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ample snow drifts still left wood still 75% covered yet.,lots of snow over the dolfor hills this morning,all thawed now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×