Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
27 minutes ago, Hegzyy said:

yeah, its showing us at higher temps than london! seems impossible but what do I know

Temp isn't everything, alot of other factors combined for snow to fall.  If it was temp related it would be easy and forecasters would have it bang on every time.

Snow is hard to forecast a few hours out never mind 48hrs +, hence automated forecasts changing and flipping.

Best bet is to keep an eye on the radar and on here. The folk on the forum give great updates, especially the bunch around the north and west as they always get the most :diablo:

I find the model thread a great place to learn to be able to go off myself and look at charts and see if the pink colour is over my back garden. :D

Posted

18z still looking good this evening, pink's spreading further down into the south, so looks like a large area could get a suprise fall......hoping so anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Key time coming into play from the Euro4 hi res model. The pinks starting to show up indicating snowfall. 

Here's the link to keep an eye on updates tomorrow. Hopefully it starts spreading South and East so more of the folks in here get plenty of the white stuff!

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=euro4&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=48&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=0&PERIOD=&WMO=

17120718_0518.gif

Edited by Sperrin
  • Like 1

Posted

No surprise there in a NW flow. Not So much for the east which is normal in this wind direction.  Enjoy. Hopefully the odd one will blow over here before the rain on Sunday. ! 

Posted

The best automated snow forecast I have seen for my area on the Met Office site for many years. 

Shows the chance of snow from Thursday night right through to Saturday night.

As for the slider on Sunday, I'm still ot convinced it will be all rain for here yet.

Posted

Think alot of people will be suprised come Friday morning, automated forcasts showing rain or sleet in the west and turning to snow as it pushes east, this seems to be the norm this past while, rains in Strabane thrn turns to snow few mile up the road, il be in Belfast anyway so lets hope we see it somewhere ? 

Automated forecast showing rain for Derry and sleet during the night. :nonono: edit: snow early morning on friday (not hourly yet)

Edited by Guest

Posted
5 minutes ago, BREIFMAN11 said:

Automated forecast showing rain for Derry and sleet during the night. :nonono: edit: snow early morning on friday (not hourly yet)

Might not be far wrong, showers seem to take 30/40 miles inland to turn to snow, north west always forcasted the most but often end up green! Let's  hope there wrong this time ?

Just now, Hegzyy said:

Might not be far wrong, showers seem to take 30/40 miles inland to turn to snow, north west always forcasted the most but often end up green! Let's  hope there wrong this time ?

Yes that is usually what happens, (especially these few years) unfortunately, especially with a sharp wind. Fingers are crossed!

Posted
24 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

The best automated snow forecast I have seen for my area on the Met Office site for many years. 

Shows the chance of snow from Thursday night right through to Saturday night.

As for the slider on Sunday, I'm still ot convinced it will be all rain for here yet.

I'm with you mountain, best I've seen for a few years.

GFS showing 'potential' from thursday evening right through to sunday.

Max temps of 5 degrees through next week also, lovely festive weather.

Posted

As I alluded to in my earlier  post I was not convinced that the slider would be all rain and indeed the 6z pushes it must further South with an increased snow risk for central Ireland with the North remaining in a cold Northerly airstream.

• Like 1

Posted

Things getting pushed further south and west on the 6z, could benefit those down south as the colder air mass diggers deeper that direction.

The slider talked about on the MT could give heavy snow falls from galway north when it meets the cold air mass.

Posted
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

As I alluded to in my earlier  post I was not convinced that the slider would be all rain and indeed the 6z pushes it must further South with an increased snow risk for central Ireland with the North remaining in a cold Northerly airstream.

Beat me to it, looking good but mountain?

Edited by Weegaz

Posted
Just now, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

See thon slider thingy are we hoping that our cold air will not be easily moved and turn this slider to a more wintry mix? Is the slider moving from the south northwards or northwards to the south?  My lack of understanding is very evident lol

It's moving South East from Greenland area with colder air remaining on its NE flank.

If you're in a sweet spot there will be a dumping.

• Like 2

Posted

METO Warnings updated :D 

Im hoping to see a good bit of snow.  

During Friday, increasingly frequent snow showers already affecting northern Scotland and Northern Ireland will extend across many other northern and western parts of the UK. 2-5 cm of snow is likely fairly widely, with 10-20 cm in places, mainly northern Scotland, Northern Ireland, north Wales and perhaps the northwest Midlands. Icy surfaces are also likely to be an additional hazard, especially overnight. The heaviest and most frequent snow showers will progressively become confined to northeast Scotland during Saturday. Possible travel delays on roads stranding some vehicles and passengers with possible delays and cancellations to rail and air travel. Some rural communities could be cut off and power supplies interrupted. Probably some icy stretches on some untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths. Some injuries from slips and falls on icy and snowy surfaces. This warning has been updated to increase the impact level from low to medium.

• Like 1

Posted

big update on the bbc forcast too, most northern areas showing heavy snow from thursday around 6pm rought through to friday! rekon the slider will start off as light snow before turning to rain, remember christmas day 2010 when the atlantic came in and it snowed a few hours before raining.

• Like 1

Posted

17120800_0606.gif 17120806_0606.gif 

Latest euro 4 out now and lookin great, If it came off like this they would be some accumulations 

Edited by Hegzyy
  • Like 1

Posted

That little feature coming through Thursday evening has most of the north in with a chance of snow. Sparky there is only room for upgrades now regarding snow. Troughs embedded in the flow can just pop up. That little feature wasn't in the forecast yesterday as far as i know. 

Posted

This looks nice for Sunday.

I know it will likely change but can always hope :) 

And loving that wee feature on the forecast for Thursday :) 

snow.png

• Like 1