Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Very quiet in all the threads today, either no snow in the near future or wife's/husbands or partners have banned everyone from sending so much time on this site!

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Longtimelurker said:

Lots of talk about a SSW happening. Same every year 

Well it's programmed in all the models. This is much more reliable than tropospheric NWP 

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Think we will need an ssw for a chance of something decent this winter,our hopes will likely rest on it now. Imagine if one did happen and the likes of greece still got the cold and us nothing lol,that would be our luck. 

Its so mild that my primroses have already started coming out and that wild bush that turns yellow with flowers in spring I can't figure its name but a lot of them are out in full force.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, BREIFMAN11 said:

Its so mild that my primroses have already started coming out and that wild bush that turns yellow with flowers in spring I can't figure its name but a lot of them are out in full force.

Could be broom? Does it have pods that pop in dry summer weather?

52 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Could be broom? Does it have pods that pop in dry summer weather?

Yes, it must be Scotch Broom. I always seem to have trouble identifying it by name. These guys will be in shock if we get a real good cold spell.

Edited by Guest

Posted
38 minutes ago, BREIFMAN11 said:

Yes, it must be Scotch Broom. I always seem to have trouble identifying it by name. These guys will be in shock if we get a real good cold spell.

If its the one that grows wild across the country and is an instrument of pain unparalleled by any other (including childbirth I'm led to believe), then its a wynds bush.

Vicious wee brutes they are.

Posted
2 hours ago, BREIFMAN11 said:

Gorse, can frequently flower at this time of year, great bush for wildlife 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow!
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow!

I'm going to Hannover to a trade show tomorrow. Its supposed to have been snowing ther the last few days! And max temp while I'm there is to be -2°! Looking forward!! :)

• Like 7

Posted
6 hours ago, jamesd said:

I'm going to Hannover to a trade show tomorrow. Its supposed to have been snowing ther the last few days! And max temp while I'm there is to be -2°! Looking forward!! :)

Heading to Iceland in 6 weeks time to do a 7 day road trip around the Island. Although they are having a different (-20 one day and +4 the next) winter compared to rencent years i can't wait! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

So looks like yet another second half of jan without any proper cold. Think the last time ireland had a proper cold spell during the second half of jan was back in the 80s.

Posted
24 minutes ago, sundog said:

So looks like yet another second half of jan without any proper cold. Think the last time ireland had a proper cold spell during the second half of jan was back in the 80s.

Yup if memory serves me right that seems to be the case, anyway I am looking forward to longer evenings and brighter mornings. In other words roll on Spring! 

Posted

From a winter that offered so much it is turning into the winter from hell. It has got to be the most boring winter weather wise I can remember in a long time. ! Hardly any snow, no storms that pack a real much, not much rain and limited frost. I can see why people are looking forward to spring. And to be honest spring and summer now provide much more weather extremes than winter has done the past few years. Woeful! 

Posted
1 hour ago, Longtimelurker said:

What's the latest on the possible SSW?

Still possible by the end of the month, however, it can take 2-4 weeks to propagate down to the troposphere, therefore the second half of February before we can expect any support from that.

Posted
2 hours ago, BREIFMAN11 said:

Im not an expert, but does this look interesting?

grnland h.png

Fl