Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snooow

Dry, clear skies, very windy and 4.6C here so far. The wind makes it feel quite a bit colder though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'
1 minute ago, BIG LAD said:

did someone mention snow?

Your location looks like the best place to be for it :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe weather, tornadoes,intersting synopsis ,snow

Just a quick undate , 

Looking over the latest data .There appears to be two main areas of interest in relation to organised snowfall. Firstly the running wave along southern counties should give some back edge snow as it clears given the depth of cold behind.The second feature is an embedded mid-level shortwave that moves across the country from north to south from above 4 to 8 pm . This should give good accumulations in many places. The only issue is how east the precip goes, that will be a nowcast as all models differ on placement. There is be also the standard sea effect snow showers running into the north and west most of the day.  

• Like 7

Posted

was 3.5c when i got home from work at 6.30 so temps need to fall a good bit for snow to lay. can we expect any snow before midnight?

Posted
8 minutes ago, BIG LAD said:

was 3.5c when i got home from work at 6.30 so temps need to fall a good bit for snow to lay. can we expect any snow before midnight?

The all elusive 528 DAM line should be in over the north by about 00z. Precip should be of mostly of snow from there onward. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Weegaz said:

12z chart for 12.00 tomorrow.

So who's organising the snow ball fight?

IMG_6153.PNG

Be a wet snowball for  me :( - but fingers cross gaz u get it  

Posted
33 minutes ago, rory o gorman said:

The all elusive 528 DAM line should be in over the north by about 00z. Precip should be of mostly of snow from there onward. 

What is a 528 DAM line  -please excuse my ignorance

Posted
5 minutes ago, Moonbeem said:

Simply put it's the thickness between the 500-1000 hpa layer, It's a strong indicator on the depth of cold in an airmass, generally under 528 is needed as a minimum, but the lower it gets the higher the probability of precip being snow. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Moonbeem said:

Pressure decreases with altitude, and thickness measures the difference in height between two standard pressure levels in the atmosphere. It is proportional to the mean temperature of this layer of air, so is a useful way of describing the temperature of an airmass.

Weather charts commonly show contour lines of 1,000-500 hPa thickness, which represent the depth (in decametres, where 1 dam = 10 m) of the layer between the 1,000 hPa and 500 hPa pressure levels. Cold, polar air has low thickness, and values of 528 dam or less frequently bring snow to the UK. Conversely, warm, tropical air has high thickness, and values in excess of 564 dam across the UK often indicate a heatwave.

***from Met Office website

Edited by Weegaz

Posted

If its under 522DAM, there's a very likely chance of snow

Posted

Ive been signed up for a while but today 1st time ive posted - always have loved my weather (be it good or bad) - always looked at pressure charts etc but i must say ive learned a hell of alot today - thank you all :)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
22 minutes ago, Moonbeem said:

It just all seems very patchy hit or miss atm - im doing a snow dance here now :)

Most forecasts have the snow arriving around 10/11pm tonight. The BBC weather at 7pm showed some pretty intense showers plus bands of snow pushing in the north and west tomorrow which stretched the length and breadth of the country. @Rocheydub, looks like you may even see an odd flake or two as well!!

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

Most forecasts have the snow arriving around 10/11pm tonight. The BBC weather at 7pm showed some pretty intense showers plus bands of snow pushing in the north and west tomorrow which stretched the length and breadth of the country. @Rocheydub, looks like you may even see an odd flake or two as well!!

Fingers crossed for us all esp Rochey - i not be greedy (tho id love a plastering) just a decent bit ------ plz plz plz snow Gods  lol lol

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow; Blizzards; Lightning; Cumulonimbus clouds; High pressure.

Living in Belfast and temp now is 4.2 so gradually the surface temp is dropping.  For those Snow-lovers (like myself) the great news is that the 500-850hpa temp is also dropping further, thus the precipitation moving across the province tonight and tomorrow will be falling as snow to low levels. The 'dam' is already at -5 right across a large swathe of the UK, so rain and sleet are less likely. Since there isn't a weather front crossing Northern Ireland tonight and tomorrow means we just get the precipitation from showers (sourced from troughs). Will be good though to have some nice snowball fights. :D

• Like 3

Posted

had quite a heavy rain shower just now. no wintriness at all in it. temp 3.5c. id say it will deffo be after midnight before we see any white stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow; Blizzards; Lightning; Cumulonimbus clouds; High pressure.

I guarantee you will be building a snowman within the vicinity tomorrow at some stage, lol :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

3.0c now falling steadily, no shower activity near me at the moment though