Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Right guys yea up for a wee competition whats your predicted hightest snowfall amount for your backyard over this cold spell running until the end of weekend.  State location and height

10cm im going for Cookstown Elev 74 m..:):yahoo:

Posted

First Weather Warning is out!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1484092800&regionName=ni

Cold air originating over Arctic Canada will affect the area from Wednesday evening through Thursday, bringing snow showers and strong winds. Wind gusts up to 55 mph are expected in exposed coastal areas and on hills in association with snow showers, leading to temporary blizzard conditions. As well as reduced visibility, 2-5 cm of snow could accumulate anywhere within the warning area, with 10-20 cm possible above 300 m. Lightning may accompany the heaviest showers, with potential disruption to power supplies as a consequence.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, somofagun said:

Neiller whats your thoughts on this cold spell

Looks good for 2-3 days then poss milder after that but a bit up in the air to be honest after initial cold. Northwest/north best due to wind but hope a few hefty showers make there way to the east as well. Njoy it somofagun. Think there may be warnings issued today or tomorrow as well.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

I see your 10cm boofer and raise it to 15cm in Loughmacrory (170m asl) :D

Official met office yellow warming has just been issued:

Cold air originating over Arctic Canada will affect the area from Wednesday evening through Thursday, bringing snow showers and strong winds. Wind gusts up to 55 mph are expected in exposed coastal areas and on hills in association with snow showers, leading to temporary blizzard conditions. As well as reduced visibility, 2-5 cm of snow could accumulate anywhere within the warning area, with 10-20 cm possible above 300 m. Lightning may accompany the heaviest showers, with potential disruption to power supplies as a consequence

• Like 3

Posted

Oooh, what a lovely Met Office warning, thundersnow would be amazing, a very rare beast.

I'm at 110msl. I think I will get 15cm over the 3/4 days.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Oooh, what a lovely Met Office warning, thundersnow would be amazing, a very rare beast.

I'm at 110msl. I think I will get 15cm over the 3/4 days.

We're at 110.2msl so I think we will be 5cm more than you mountain. :cold:

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, Sparky72 said:

Why does the met office weather forecast not match their warning? I.e. Derry showing sleet showers.

Just watched local and national forecast there and to be honest i don't think they really know where the snow will fall due to the unstable flow. Now casting at its best!! Just make sure your lamp post is working. Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'

I'll go for 4cm, 70m in north mayo

• Like 2

Posted

What is with the obsession for a Scandi high, does it ever have a great effect here?:cold:

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
10 minutes ago, somofagun said:

I believe 2010 was a result of the Scandi high

No that was a greenland high. One of the best examples of a scandi high giving us cold was jan 87 in my lifetime anyway..

Example of scandi highs giving britain cold and us little would be jan 2013, se england getting a verygood cold spell the rest of us zilch was earll feb 2012

Examples

Edited by sundog

Posted
12 minutes ago, Dkeane3 said:

What is with the obsession for a Scandi high, does it ever have a great effect here?:cold:

A Scandinavian High means that the winds across the Uk and Ireland would likely be Easterly and continental in origin. The air would therefore be colder than you would get from a Northerly or North Westerly.

As the winds are from the East then Eastern coastal regions would be more likely to get snow, that includes Eastern counties of Ireland. The model thread is dominated by members from South Eastern England therefore it gets plenty of attention as it is more likely to bring snow to that area.

A Scandi High can also help in bringing large snowfall as the Atlantic sends low pressure systems in against it. The massive snowfall I received in March 2013 was as a result of this type of set up.

Greenland Highs are generally better for us in the North and West of these Islands as we are nearer Greenland and therefore to the cold coming from it.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, sundog said:

No that was a greenland high. One of the best examples of a scandi high giving us cold was jan 87 in my lifetime anyway..

Example of scandi highs giving britain cold and us little would be jan 2013, se england getting a verygood cold spell the rest of us zilch was earll feb 2012

Examples

It was a bit of both I think. If memory serves me right we started with a Scandi which retrogressed to Greenland then back to Scandi.

Posted

Scandi high = England east coast get cold and snow we usually just get dry and sometimes cold, maybe some snow for east coast.
Greenland high = northern blocking ie 2010, north and north west fair best.

upcoming cold spell I would be quite pessimistic for my area (Strabane) every year one of these events forecasted we end up with sleet unfortunately 

gfs-2010121612-0-6.png

Edited by Hegzyy
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

The massive snowfall I received in March 2013 was as a result of this type of set up.

Thanks, sadly that was more of a rain event in my area :sorry: