Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
19 minutes ago, ronan said:

Lol Boofer you go there before me. was about to post the top 2. Looking really good if we can go by the 06z but going by the ups and downs and massive changes run to run then we will have to wait a little longer to see the outcome. 

Some double digit lows at night with the snow fields:D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Today's met office update is quite good from our point of view, especially those in the North and West. 

UK Outlook for Monday 28 Nov 2016 to Wednesday 7 Dec 2016:

The rest of November is looking dry though often rather cloudy for most. However, it is likely to turn wet and windy in the north-west through Tuesday and Wednesday next week. Some fog and freezing fog patches are likely, especially across central parts and it will be generally cold with overnight frosts quite widely. Through early December things are likely to turn more unsettled from the north-west, with some very windy conditions. The rain may turn to sleet or snow over high ground, and possibly even to lower levels at times. Temperatures should be around, or perhaps a little below, normal. High pressure should start to dominate as we go through the December turning things more settled

• Like 1

I don't really get that weather tourism thing. Yes, granted going to another country for the cold is a promising idea but I think the whole special thing of snow is seeing it happen in your own home.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

ECM is an absolute disaster at +240, full on zonal train. It's amazing how two models can be so different. 

If the ECM wins out this time then the GFS may pack it's bags for a long holiday.

GFSOPEU12_240_1.png

ECMOPEU12_240_1.png

• Like 1

Posted

Awful ECM as you say Sperrin. My start of December snow is on shaky ground now, if there's no improvement in the overnight runs then I fear any snow potential will need to be pushed back a week until around the 9th/10th.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, the 12z do look more mobile after mid next week, but one more nearly dry week and this autumn as been just about perfect for me. It really has been on the dry side. In saying that I do expect it to remain generally settled and then to break down, but look at the met office update, look at what GP noted yesterday I think it was yesterday. There will be changes in the 7 to 10 day forecast from today, a short break down and then back to more settled, perfect.

BTW, if I read that Short Wave thing again I'll quit reading this forum. There is a couple of posters straight in, pseudo experts, always the exact same comments on each and every run, run has to be epic or terrible, crying about Shortwaves at 180 to 240 + hours off eh coast of Lapland etc. etc. You'd think they'd discovered some secret, if it wasn't for you pesky kids (SW) interfering, Scooby Doo.

I must be the only one excited about this settles and very dry weather.

• Like 1

Posted

im loving this weather too.frost never cleared today in shaded areas and temps were back down to -2c by half 6 this eve. ground is cooling nicely so can only help if the snow does come. i wouldnt even bother with model watchin to be honest, it could drive a man insane. what happens happens.

• Like 2

Posted
58 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

ECM is an absolute disaster at +240, full on zonal train. It's amazing how two models can be so different. 

If the ECM wins out this time then the GFS may pack it's bags for a long holiday.

GFSOPEU12_240_1.png

ECMOPEU12_240_1.png

Indeed if GFS is wrong i will be giving its presence a wide birth from now on.:angry:  Its meant to be the best model at picking up northerly's but time will tell if its another epic fail,  that will be 2 in the space of couple of weeks.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, BREIFMAN11 said:

I don't really get that weather tourism thing. Yes, granted going to another country for the cold is a promising idea but I think the whole special thing of snow is seeing it happen in your own home.

I am off to Iceland for a week in February. It will be my second trip there in a year. Its an amazing place with plenty to do and see. For me the snow and ice will be a bonus but its more the road trip around the island and photographing the Northern Lights. This was from April this year. 

13458578_10154359224973274_4467020973849534494_o.jpg

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, ronan said:

I am off to Iceland for a week in February. It will be my second trip there in a year. Its an amazing place with plenty to do and see. For me the snow and ice will be a bonus but its more the road trip around the island and photographing the Northern Lights. This was from April this year. 

13458578_10154359224973274_4467020973849534494_o.jpg

Amazing shot! :)

Posted

So the ups and downs of the model thread continues. We have been looking at the first couple of days of December for a while now so i really do hope that for everyone's sanity that we see something. As for current weather, its brilliant!! We had our first proper ice day today with last nights frost lingering all day. A hard frost set in early this evening and its like a bottle outside not to mention the think freezing fog covering the whole City. To add to that its to last till Saturday and some spots will get down to minus 7 tonight. Sure its not even winter yet!

• Like 1

Posted

To be honest I pay no attention to what the models say anymore past 5 days. It really is a lottery and not worth getting hung up on. They just constantly chop and change day in day out and quite frankly not really worth the paper they are written on past 5-6 days. People say yeah but it's all about trends ! There are two trends! Either getting milder or colder with either rain or snow ! And at the moment nobody knows. And nobody will never know. The weather will do what it wants! Sad but bloody reality I'm afraid. 

Posted
41 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

-6 recorded in the car, -7 recorded in Katesbridge! @mountain shadow 4 - 7 of December still has some interesting charts.......

Aye, but ECM Op not in the game yet. As Neiller says, the models are pointless past day 5/6 at the moment, no idea what is going to happen.

Meanwhile another brilliant frost this am.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

certainly no frost here this morning,a balmy 7.7c here atm. Wish i was getting the cold crisp frosty weather up north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

So the battle between the gfs and ecm continues. Im sure many across net weather will be clued to the 12z runs later today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's looking like a transition to colder weather is approaching a state of 'nailedonness'; just how that transition is going to come about, however, is looking anything but nailed on? So, as I always do, in such fractious times as these, I'll be lining-up my teddies, just in case!:shok:

Sorry peeps, wrong thread...the GFS is getting me too excited!

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted

A warm 10 degrees in Dublin today, once through newry the fog and frost lifted.

charts looking good and starting to get into reliable time frames as mentioned on here

• Like 1