Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

Anyone know how to change profile name? I think Day 10 is far more apt than Minus 10! However as you can see Day 10 has appeared under my original name :cc_confused:

often referred to as D10, reminds me of cleaning sanitiser  Diversey

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Some nasty dark clouds coming from over The Mersey. Mild day temp wise. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Wow!! The models today are horrendous they are showing more mild crap as usual!! :bad:

Just as I got of the bus from work, I went to the local pub to get away from the torrential downpour and I ate a Calzone and it was pretty tasty and good!! As the rain calmed down abit I walked home.

• Like 2

Posted

After a very pleasant autumn with limited spells of atlantic cloud infested weather, it was only a matter of time before we saw the typical moist southwesterly/westerly return.. oh dear, its a woeful airstream, bringing damp conditions, and clouds shrouding everything - very miserable. especially at this time of year when we reach the darkest time of the year. Such conditions bring no brightness and make for very dismal skies, with a very early dusk, it began to get dark around half 3 today.. horrible. 

Oh to be in May!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hate a mild Christmas!!!

• Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Hate a mild Christmas!!!

Yes we've had 5 on the trot now, about time we had a colder than average one, even just an average one would do. The last time we had a cold christmas week overall was 2009, in 2010 things became milder from the 28 Dec.

The last 5 haven't just been mild, they've been very mild, (2014 did see local snow in some parts on Boxing Day and was a bit colder but was a temporary affair), and also wet and overcast. With such conditions lasting through the first week of Jan, making for a very miserable feel indeed. 

I remain optimistic mind, and don't necessarily see this the beginnings of a persistant mild atlantic driven spell, I think there is still a good chance drier colder conditions will return just in time for christmas, thanks to high pressure quite probably anchoring itself just over the country and into the near continent, but not in a position to deliver deeper cold, but plenty of time for that. The period up to christmas is renowned for being mild and atlantic driven, the last few weeks though have been very different to the norm, pity we couldn't bank what we had between 23-26 Nov this year, for 23-26 Dec.. cold frosty beautiful.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The Arctic is melting but we're still not being tossed into a mini ice age... heaven's above :rofl:

It reached just shy of 15 degrees before the rain came today. the dewpoint was also 14 degrees.. and it felt quite muggy in a mild sense

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Good god we really are in a rut arn't we? 10C at this time of night in December :nonono:- so with that in mind it's getting to the stage where I am thinking of changing my username to Mild Hollow :rofl: 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
16 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Good god we really are in a rut arn't we? 10C at this time of night in December :nonono:- so with that in mind it's getting to the stage where I am thinking of changing my username to Mild Hollow :rofl: 

Quite bizarre in December. I have an old weather book that stated by mid October much of the country is seeing it's first Autumn frost. how times have changed!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
41 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

You may aswell mate, I changed mine to Day 10 yesterday since that's all we ever chase! Minus 10 seems pure fantasy these days :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
15 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

You may aswell mate, I changed mine to Day 10 yesterday since that's all we ever chase! Minus 10 seems pure fantasy these days :nonono:

I've only just got used to -10. Weren't you polar climate before then?  I bet we'll get -10s all the time now you've Changed your name again lol. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 2

Posted
41 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Quite bizarre in December. I have an old weather book that stated by mid October much of the country is seeing it's first Autumn frost. how times have changed!

Not that bizarre, something we've become quite accustomed too. Last December was ridicolously mild by these standards, most days saw maxes above 10 degrees, with mins hovering around the 10 degree mark. Indeed we had a long number of days between 12-16 degrees!. Temperatures looks like cooling off a bit over coming days, and we had a cold start. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

I've only just got used to -10. Weren't you polar climate before then?  I bet we'll get -10s all the time now you've Changed your name again lol. 

If we get snow this winter mate I won't change it ever again! :D

3 years is far too long

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Last December was just ridiculous! 

27...yes 27 out of the 31 days had double figure  maximums, 12 consecutive days from 17th-29th. Only 2 nights with minimums below 5°C. Also a period of 50 hours when the temperature did not drop below 10°C. I doubt that Dec will be repeated again in a hurry. 

• Like 2

Posted

Massive contrast between December 2010 & December 2015 - sadly as both those months were remarkable at different ends of the weather spectrum, there are too many to mention run-of-the-mill average winters that just tick the average list and don't carry much interest when looking back in terms of temps, precipitation or winds etc...  This could be one of those.  Instantly forgettable but generally shades of grey and green, instead of white and blue.  Let's hope santa delivers a festive surprise.

Posted

I'm not far off last Decembers temperature statistics actually. The other day the max temperature of 15.2°C was only 0.4°C off the highest temperature last December. 

BTW what happened to the rain yesterday  I thought it was supposed to chuck it down last night and nothing happened. 

Posted
On 10/12/2016 at 14:32, Chris.R said:

I'm not far off last Decembers temperature statistics actually. The other day the max temperature of 15.2°C was only 0.4°C off the highest temperature last December. 

BTW what happened to the rain yesterday  I thought it was supposed to chuck it down last night and nothing happened. 

Those stats make me sick. Why can't winter just be winter! Dec, Jan, Feb should be all about frost, fog, ice, snow, gorgeous crisp cold sunny days. NOT HORRIBLE MILD GREY DROSS!!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
22 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Those stats make me sick. Why can't winter just be winter! Dec, Jan, Feb should be all about frost, fog, ice, snow, gorgeous crisp cold sunny days. NOT HORRIBLE MILD GREY DROSS!!!

Same here but the surprise is that we still get surprised by the constant failure of uk seasons to follow the text and unfortunately this region seems to be front of the queue when it comes to mediocrity.

more annoying I feel though is that even a mild spell offers little benefit as we usually end up with cloudy damp crap and no benefit from what heat a bit of winter sunshine could give

Posted
2 hours ago, iand61 said:

Same here but the surprise is that we still get surprised by the constant failure of uk seasons to follow the text and unfortunately this region seems to be front of the queue when it comes to mediocrity.

more annoying I feel though is that even a mild spell offers little benefit as we usually end up with cloudy damp crap and no benefit from what heat a bit of winter sunshine could give

Given up posting in the mod thread, the huge bubble of optimism from a few weeks back has well and truly burst. I just hope we start to see something interesting in the charts before Christmas.

• Like 1

Posted

The only saving grace to the south westerly regime next week is that rain bands will be coming in against stubborn high pressure so they should be weak affairs the further east they travel.  Still no signs of anything remotely wintry showing up in the run up to Chrimbo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
32 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

The only saving grace to the south westerly regime next week is that rain bands will be coming in against stubborn high pressure so they should be weak affairs the further east they travel.  Still no signs of anything remotely wintry showing up in the run up to Chrimbo.

Winter will come, probably around April.

summer will arrive in September and last for about a month before Autumn turns up for its usual six month residence.

• Like 2

Posted

slate grey monotony to the weather today.  If the sun got out of bed, it didn't bother drawing back the cloudy curtains.  Hey but guess what folks......

At least it's mild.

:hi:

Edited by dodgeredee
  • Like 1

Posted

Very dismal conditions at the moment, grey cloudy overcast conditions, but par for the course at this time of year. We did very well in November for sunshine, and the opening to Dec was also sunny and cheery. Christmas lights brightening everything up.

From a personal point of view, I'd like an injection of polar maritime air in time for christmas, to produce some decent snow cover on the fells, which are preety bare of snow now.. then for a drying up in time for christmas with frost and the snow remaining through christmas week, perhaps a light dusting on low ground as well - not too much to ask for.

• Like 3

Posted

Two legendary cold spell forecasts from Ian Mccaskill who sadly passed away today aged 78

Jan 1987

Feb 1991

Strangely enough I remember the '87 (in primary school) one more than the '91 event.

• Like 3

Posted
45 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

Two legendary cold spell forecasts from Ian Mccaskill who sadly passed away today aged 78

Jan 1987

Feb 1991

Strangely enough I remember the '87 (in primary school) one more than the '91 event.

RIP Ian, you will be sadly missed.

Fantastic videos, will we ever see an easterly like one of them ever again. I remember 1991 very well indeed, great to be sent home early from school and play in the powder snow! Lovely stuff! Even little old Wirral managed 6 inches of the stuff back then. :cold::cold::cold:

• Like 1