IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

18z GFS

next snow event not far away....

IMG_9067.PNG

For those north side of the low perhaps. probably not for any of us here if that chart comes off

Posted

Living towards the lower Goyt Valley i'm in the fortunate position of being able to see the highest hills of both Derbyshire and Cheshire just by looking out from the window, surrounded by +1200ft peaks helps aswell from Sponds Moor, Chinley Churn, Eccles Pike, and Brown Knoll which will undoubtedly be covered in snow themselves too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

A glorious evening here, absolutely bucketing down with rain and 4.9 °C. I'm so disappointed -- I'm upstairs, and I really thought the extra couple of metres would have swung it! :crazy:

• Like 2

Posted

Well it feels a bit like last Winter at the moment, when we had events that just turned out to be cold rain. But then I remember that it isn't even Winter yet and it's only the 8th of November, so it matters little really. It's turning out to be quite a good late Autumn though, as at least some places are incredibly getting snow this early and we had a chilly Bonfire Night for the first time in 4 years, plus this morning we had an air frost and it's felt quite cold all day (this time last year it didn't feel cold). So not bad at all really, for the time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
4 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

Im moving to the highest peak of buxton one day where it snows all year round....

i spotted you on the flashbar stores cam you sneaky bugger lol

flashleon.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i c reading this thread so far no one under the warning saw any snow then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

1cm of lying snow here during the early hours but, apart from a few traces in the longer grass, it's all thawed. 1.0c with thick fog and drizzle so far this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, Terminal Moraine said:

1cm of lying snow here during the early hours but, apart from a few traces in the longer grass, it's all thawed. 1.0c with thick fog and drizzle so far this morning.

Think time of year worked against you maybe, at least looking better on Monday 14°

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Currently 5c here and dry for now. More sunshine today than yesterday, but inbetween that sunshine they'll be heavy shower's from mid morning especially for the north of our region, with temps ranging from 8 - 9c for the north and 10 -11c for the south. Nowhere near mild and in them shower's......it's going to feel very November 'ish.

Friday: Dry,

Saturday: A very Wet day indeed :bad:

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
35 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Currently 5c here and dry for now. More sunshine today than yesterday, but inbetween that sunshine they'll be heavy shower's from mid morning especially for the north of our region, with temps ranging from 8 - 9c for the north and 10 -11c for the south. Nowhere near mild and in them shower's......it's going to feel very November 'ish.

Friday: Dry,

Saturday: A very Wet day indeed :bad:

yes it's Nov still, even before 2000, Nov was rarely cold, but we appear to be getting back to normal, Atlantic train arriving, but I prefer SW'lys to NW'lys, today will be a washout, Friday dry as you say, Sat hopefully drier than today, Sat PM?

ukprec.png

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

yes it's Nov still, even before 2000, Nov was rarely cold, but we appear to be getting back to normal, Atlantic train arriving, but I prefer SW'lys to NW'lys, today will be a washout, Friday dry as you say, Sat hopefully drier than today, Sat PM?

ukprec.png

Methinks that band incoming for Saturday will be a little slower, may clear for the afternoon but not as early as that pep chart is making out.

had a wonderful day today... had to travel to Liverpool to meet my new baby boy ( 4 week old British Bulldog pup) and that meant a trip thru Buxton and up over the very tops of the peak district so got to see some snow on the ground.... and im happy to report my baby boy will be coming home to us on 12th December.... i look forward to introducing him to many a snow drift over the coming months...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Had a surprising torrential downpour this afternoon, went very dark, also looks like there were a few lightning strikes to the north Midlands too.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sparkiee storm said:

Had a surprising torrential downpour this afternoon, went very dark, also looks like there were a few lightning strikes to the north Midlands too.

Ay there was! here but never heard/saw anything in town centre, 2.8 miles to the NW, was hail though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Ay there was! here but never heard/saw anything in town centre, 2.8 miles to the NW, was hail though

Yeah there was a bit of hail here in Walsall too, and the lightning must of been in the cloud.

This from Ian F over in the MOD ....   Worth adding that we've seen strong agreement emerge now in past 24hrs for the cold outbreak later next week. We see a tipping point then in latest EC ENS: A direct split between those that go on to stall the pattern, thereby maintaining the cold cyclonic feed; versus those that revert to something a bit more mobile. By final days of Nov, the upturn in colder (N/NW or broad E'ly) solutions is quite striking v earlier runs, which may offer credence to the colder cyclonic offering for early Dec in latest EC Monthly. But we must remind ourselves that's still about a month away...

Posted

let's hope there will be  a WTF moment from me too! More Snow! was great though, if me and Ian are confident of cold, then by Jesus it will be cold!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Thick fog and persistent drizzle so far today. Had the weather been dry I'd have gone out on my bike but 10 years of daily commuting by bike, ( a 35 mile round trip ) and another 12 of intermittent commuting, have placed me firmly into the 'fair weather cyclist' category so I'll leave it until tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted

Todays 12z GFS for this week is showing ....After a fairly mild start to the week ranging from 13c -15c, it will turn significantly colder later this forthcoming week.

It's all change with the wind incoming from a chilly N//w to a Northerly and strong it will be, with air temps only 5c - 6c that wind chill is going to make it feel very cold:cold::cold::cold:.

Not going to mention the word SNOW.......Yet!:cold-emoji:

72-580UK_exc5.GIF126-7UK_znx8.GIF120-580UK_puz1.GIF144-580UK_wrr4.GIF

• Like 2

Posted

just hope DWW that winds are westerly enough to avoid dreaded Cheshire Gap day, my favourite chart on there is one on far left! although GFS feel are modeling Tuesday's front too far north

Posted
44 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

just hope DWW that winds are westerly enough to avoid dreaded Cheshire Gap day, my favourite chart on there is one on far left! although GFS feel are modeling Tuesday's front too far north

Just for you then :D

162-7UK_njc2.GIF

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted

Xmas lights day washed out then! miss the good old days, as that is 20th anniversary of the snow dumping for N Midlands

archives-1996-11-18-0-0.pngarchives-1996-11-19-12-0.pngarchives-1996-11-20-0-0.png

• Like 1

Posted
On 11/10/2016 at 09:39, Dancerwithwings said:

Methinks that band incoming for Saturday will be a little slower, may clear for the afternoon but not as early as that pep chart is making out.

going back to earlier posts, today GFS got mostly right, and nowhere near as wet as Thursday