Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

As I said earlier in the week, we will be watching this one all the way to the wire and then some interesting developments for next week.  It will be a case of radar watching tomorrow to see how far north the meeting of rain and cold air will be.

Posted

To me tomorrows event is down to nowcasting and will only be clear when the system appears on the radar.  Plenty of occasions in the past where the forecast had snow heading towards the West Midlands, only for it to slip east at the last minute and give the East Midlands members joy.

But having said that i expect to see snow falling if the system pivots enough to the north to reach the Midlands region, but difficult to see it settling given the time of day and warmish ground temperatures, and likelihood of it commencing as rain.  Rural areas and higher ground favoured obviously.

Certainly people should keep expectations very low at this stage to avoid disappointment.

Also METO should update warnings in a shortwhile.

Posted

Gusting 60-65mph maybe more here....garden furniture blown across garden.... tree down in glossop...  met forecast for here looks interesting for tomorrow and friday.... bet snake/woodhead will be closed with wind and snow.... trough features pointed out by jo may add into mix....  busy day cleaning as have peeps viewing my house to rent out after i move house hopefully feb/march.... bloomin vendors im buying off have held us up for 8 months! But i do love the new place.....

plus cant argue.... got 100k off asking price and including all the fittings and appliances....

IMG_1238.PNG

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Fingers crossed here for snow on the Malverns tomorrow - it's been a couple of years with nothing in that department up here. Very windy here today, feeling cold although there's intermittent sunshine. :cold:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Noticeably colder here now than it was first thing this morning. When I went out after breakfast, I thought to myself that it was reasonably mild out of the wind. Less so now, though the wind has itself got up considerably.

Expecting absolutely nothing here as far as snow goes. Low altitude in the West Midlands is not exactly the best combination for that! I'm just hoping we don't get cold rain with two sleety flakes or something, since I'd prefer the system to miss us altogether than that!

Posted

I think we're at the wait and see stage now. Never really been optimistic about our chances here and remain that way. The last 4 years have bought me back to Earth a bit. Had this been January 2014, would have been all over this one and very optimistic....but had a very harsh lesson since then! No bad thing I suppose...

Posted
23 minutes ago, Gord said:

I think we're at the wait and see stage now. Never really been optimistic about our chances here and remain that way. The last 4 years have bought me back to Earth a bit. Had this been January 2014, would have been all over this one and very optimistic....but had a very harsh lesson since then! No bad thing I suppose...

Yep Gord  not expecting alot   im just a little interested in how far  north the band gets   also maybe a chesire streamer could bring a few surprises.  Edit  the metoffice weather icon thingy me bob  is rubbish  has me down for 6 hours heavy snow   and 3 hours of light snow   

Edited by weirpig

looks like i will be warming the chair under the window that looks out on the lamp post tomorrow evening and night.. a few surprises in store for many i feel..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh

Had a lucky escape this morning, tree branch came within inches of taking out my front windscreen.

Back home now brew in hand, pondering tomorrows out come with fingers crossed.

And seeing as i'm off for the next two days will be hoping for some white reason to go for a long long walk.

Stay safe out there and if you do get what you want enjoy and make the most of it

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

bbc got this part of the mids for sleet for tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Not much happening come tomorrow then :laugh::yahoo:

Capture.PNG

• Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, Ian Ballinger said:

I am starting to get a bit optimistic now, DP currently -2.1 wetbulb 3.7

You ain't the only one :cold-emoji: Wouldn't surprise me if we see the snow starting to fall earlier, maybe from lunchtime on wards....Loving it :D

uksnowrisk.pnguksnowrisk.pnguksnowrisk.png

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted

Charts above look great. Almost too good to be true. A lot of the Midlands doesn't appear to have any warnings out though unless I have missed something?

Really hope this comes off!

• Like 1

Posted

Also snow showers coming down from the Northwest into the evening .....A very wintry picture :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

Charts above look great. Almost too good to be true. A lot of the Midlands doesn't appear to have any warnings out though unless I have missed something?

Really hope this comes off!

Them charts are a little OTT to be honest and yes no warnings....Confused.com :bomb:

Issued at:
10:31 on Wed 11 Jan 2017

As a developing area of low pressure moves east across southern Britain on Thursday there is potential for rain to turn rapidly to snow as cold air is drawn in. However, there is a great deal of uncertainty over the track and intensity of this system, meaning that confidence is low in the amount and extent of any snow.

It came out this morning....I'm sure they'll be an UPGRADE at some point if you ask me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Think we are in for a washout tomorrow (north) 9-5 daytime again sigh, chance of wet snow for S Midlands as it clears away, then 2 better days, before more rain and mild air on Sunday

hopefully before Sunday though, I may see a few flurries, as expect everywhere else will

Posted
12 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Think we are in for a washout tomorrow (north) 9-5 daytime again sigh, chance of wet snow for S Midlands as it clears away, then 2 better days, before more rain and mild air on Sunday

hopefully before Sunday though, I may see a few flurries, as expect everywhere else will

A rain to snow event is always a forecasters nightmare....But snow has been foretasted, what makes you think we are in for a washout tomorrow,

Except wet snow for the south of our region ???

• Like 1