Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
3 hours ago, Dancerwithwings said:

WAS!  the baggies playing at home over the weekend :D

Confused.com 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Yep, that'd do for me, please, the sweet spot being "just by Telford" :D

I moved here three years ago, from similarly snow-droughted Edinburgh - the snow seems broadly comparable ie an inch or two most winters if you're lucky and then once every couple of decades a really unusual direction of wind and snow-bearing skies and you get a whacking great lump of snow... Edinburgh did it in 1979-80 and then not again til 2010-11 the year after everyone else had snow - Edinburgh's in a micro-climate all of its own and only gets serious snow from the East-North-East which just doesn't happen often... both times it was serious serious snow for weeks on end, which I'm not expecting this time here, but it's exciting to know we've got such a hopeful set-up and I'll be curtain-twitching tonight and up early tomorrow! 

My other half's lived here nearly twenty years and is deeply sceptical of deep snow because Telford "doesn't get" deep snow. 

Fingers crossed! :D 

Posted
1 minute ago, shaky said:

Sorry mate for some reason i cant open the link!!could you vaguely tell me what the latest update is!!am in leicester!!5cms will do me lol

Sorry really struggling to down load  briefly it says Most of Country including your area 2cm  however 5cm on hills.   West Midlands  wales   say from Stokish(maybe a touch North )  to   Kidderminster    2-5cm widely however some places 10-15cm    same for NI   Scotland 15-20cm 

Posted
23 minutes ago, BleakMidwinter said:

My other half's lived here nearly twenty years and is deeply sceptical of deep snow because Telford "doesn't get" deep snow. 

Fingers crossed! :D 

I suppose that depends on what you call "deep". I lived there from 2002-2013, IIRC 2006 we had some good dumpings, 2009 & 2010 were OK. Put it this way, much better than snowless Shrewsbury!!! I'll be happy with ANYTHING right now as I've not seen lying snow for 5 years.....

ps, different parts of Telford get it too, we sued to get a good dumping (top of hill near Horsehay) while on the other side of town in Muxton there was a dusting!! Micro climate at paly......

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Yes Meto warning area extended eastwards a smidgen. Still think it will be heavier West and North of Brum. Looking forward to snow reports!:)

Posted

I think for us over in the East Midlands our best chance of snow comes on Sunday, Sunday could be special or the usual anti-climax of the last few winters when its rain rather than snow that falls out the sky much to everyone's frustration.

As for tomorrow & saturday, potential for some showers to make it across to us in the East & give a few a nice surprise but for me its all about sunday for us  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
22 minutes ago, drgl said:

I suppose that depends on what you call "deep". I lived there from 2002-2013, IIRC 2006 we had some good dumpings, 2009 & 2010 were OK. Put it this way, much better than snowless Shrewsbury!!! I'll be happy with ANYTHING right now as I've not seen lying snow for 5 years.....

ps, different parts of Telford get it too, we sued to get a good dumping (top of hill near Horsehay) while on the other side of town in Muxton there was a dusting!! Micro climate at paly......

I've been having to get my chap to agree to drive out to the Long Mynd to find snow the last couple of winters! 

Yes, there's a heck of variation in height in Telford, isn't there - we're at 150m asl and facing NW with no high ground between us and the ridge beyond Shawbury, beyond that to the Berwyn hills of N Wales. We spent ages with maps and binoculars and compasses working out that we really can see 37 miles from the N-facing window, looking NWerly! And it's only a short walk up to 200m asl too...

Fingers very much crossed... if I'm the lucky one, I'll try my best to get photos and measurements, and to enjoy it for the rest of you too, promise! 

Posted
1 minute ago, BleakMidwinter said:

I've been having to get my chap to agree to drive out to the Long Mynd to find snow the last couple of winters! 

Yes, there's a heck of variation in height in Telford, isn't there - we're at 150m asl and facing NW with no high ground between us and the ridge beyond Shawbury, beyond that to the Berwyn hills of N Wales. We spent ages with maps and binoculars and compasses working out that we really can see 37 miles from the N-facing window, looking NWerly! And it's only a short walk up to 200m asl too...

Fingers very much crossed... if I'm the lucky one, I'll try my best to get photos and measurements, and to enjoy it for the rest of you too, promise! 

Haha! I drove up there in 2005 I think it was. I jus needed a snow fix!! Good luck ;)

Posted

Im getting pre match jitters, worried although in the west midlands region im not western midlands enough to get the good stuff, my met office app and gone from heavy snow to lighter snow........panic panic panic.........only joking gonna be fun this

Posted

Looking forward to it and hope it comes. 2-5cm is small compared to what we were getting used to during the dizzy days of 2009-2010, but after the last 5 years, it will still be very welcome.

I think a yellow warning covers what could happen adequately. If it doesn't work out, the ice warning will still be needed.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gord said:

Looking forward to it and hope it comes. 2-5cm is small compared to what we were getting used to during the dizzy days of 2009-2010, but after the last 5 years, it will still be very welcome.

I think a yellow warning covers what could happen adequately. If it doesn't work out, the ice warning will still be needed.

2-5cm yes  yellow is fine.  But if areas gets to 10-15cm  then disruption will occur  Dudley area as you know would be gridlock.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Think Sunday is my best chance noticed it change for South East Midland from yesterday to today, was originally light snow, then sleet then back to snow.

Now snow from 9am to 9pm