Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything other than drizzle

1 minute ago, karyo said:

Why would tracking west cause a strengthening of the jet?

I would expect a track east/northeast would strenghten the jet.

sorry I meant to say track east to northeast - good spot!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, High Winds.
16 minutes ago, karyo said:

Why would tracking west cause a strengthening of the jet?

I would expect a track east/northeast would strenghten the jet.

That's what I thought, a high or low moving W would cause the jet stream to buckle and move W, it makes sense.

Edited by Grimers

Posted

Sorry quick question and apologies for it being in this thread but always a quick response in here.....what has happened to chionomaniac??

Loved his analysis...especially regarding the strat etc...

• Like 3

Posted
44 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

Was looking at that, keeps the 'colder' upper air temperatures on its northern flank, however it's quite hard to see what's happening when the frames are every 24 hours. Snow for the midlands? 

i Think Nouska posted this link earlier  it doesnt seem to show any snow from the ECM run  although it isnt the easiest to navigate. And indeed the chart could be from last nights ecm

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Definitely a wintry flavour from the Gfs 6z up to and including the weekend, especially for scotland which shows proper cold and a risk of snow showers and then a threat of more persistent snow this weekend across northern high ground although it should be stressed, a lot of rain for low ground across the uk, nights look generally cold during the next 2/3 days and frosts look widespread and there is even a risk of sleet / snow showers reaching the south for a time, especially on hills and over the snow fields in the north, frosts look severe..it's another early taste of winter for the north of the uk at least.

06_12_preciptype.png

06_48_preciptype.png

06_48_uk2mtmpmin.png

06_66_preciptype.png

06_72_uk2mtmpmin.png

06_96_preciptype.png

06_96_uk2mtmpmin.png

06_105_preciptype.png

06_105_uk2mtmp.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Definitely a wintry flavour from the Gfs 6z up to and including the weekend, especially for scotland which shows proper cold and a risk of snow showers and then a threat of more persistent snow this weekend across northern high ground and while all this is going on, night frosts look widespread and over the snow fields in the north, frosts look severe..it's an early taste of winter for the north of the uk at least. 

Some pretty tasty GEFS Ps upto 216 too - P12 an example of what could happen.  Can't post it but I think there will be plenty of eye Candy in the set of GEFSs.

Can someone post the mean at 240 - IMPRESSIVE!!!

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Some pretty tasty GEFS Ps upto 216 too - P12 an example of what could happen.  Can't post it but I think there will be plenty of eye Candy in the set of GEFSs.

gensnh-21-1-240.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

gensnh-21-1-240_mor9.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave
42 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

Was looking at that, keeps the 'colder' upper air temperatures on its northern flank, however it's quite hard to see what's happening when the frames are every 24 hours. Snow for the midlands? 

Not got any full ECM access, but this graph is the ECM data for the Birmingham area for the weekend.

No snow but very cold Sunday, with temperatures not rising above 2/3c Sunday daytime. 

Probably a greater risk than snow is the potential for ice/some freezing rain at first in some locations. 

IMG_3137.PNG

• Like 1

Posted

I've now watched enough output and I'm making a brave early call on this, a warm Easterly followed by a west based -NAO, slightly below average temps but no significant snow event out until second week of December, still optimism down the line for something better though.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I've now watched enough output and I'm making a brave early call on this, a warm Easterly followed by a west based -NAO, slightly below average temps but no significant snow event out until second week of December, still optimism down the line for something better though.

You never know, as CreweCold posted a while back, his thoughts were centered on January and February. All hope is not lost, yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

^^ one would say maybe even a little pessimistic! . Given current situ..anything is possible. 

Im sure the models will begin a more focused look in the very nearr future now.

Im somewhat astonished' by the pessimism' given current output! ?

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Grimers said:

You never know, as CreweCold posted a while back, his thoughts were centered on January and February. All hope is not lost, yet.

Forget February, the atmosphere could be nina like by then, we are more likely to get a Samantha Fox - 'I only wanna be with you' February than an 86 or a 91.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Maybe if you go looking for it? :D

METO LATEST:

Sunday 20th November

A spell of more persistent snow and strong northeasterly winds, with potential blizzards on the hills but an uncertain forecast so please check back.

Issued at: 0246 on Wed 16 Nov 2016

• Like 4

Posted

Forget February, the atmosphere could be nina like by then, we are more likely to get a Samantha Fox - 'I only wanna be with you' February than an 86 or a 91.

February.86.anomaly.gif

Feb 86 was a la nina. :diablo:

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, beng said:

February.86.anomaly.gif

Feb 86 was a la nina. :diablo:

but when as February delivered a proper tanking lately though. The problem with feb is you need circa -15c uppers to get the North sea into action. Its December - 20th Jan or bust this year although up here we can get blasted in March but most people cant.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

but when as February delivered a proper tanking lately though. The problem with feb is you need circa -15c uppers to get the North sea into action.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

gensnh-21-1-384.pnggensnh-21-0-384.png.                

I'm not sure if Im reading this correctly, but I think the mean at +384 is very impressive, very weak vortex over Canadian arctic/ Greenland, all of the deep cold is pooling over Siberia. .    

hgt300.png.          

Fantastic jet profile in FI.                    

gensnh-21-5-240.png.       EDH101-240.GIF         .

Mean Anomaly from ECM and GFS at +240 screams blocked and southerly tracking jet , one thing I'm very confident if is no return to Atlantic conditions. ECM perhaps less keen to build heights over Greenland at this stage.            

Edited by Zakos
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, Zakos said:

gensnh-21-1-384.pnggensnh-21-0-384.png.                I'm not sure if Im reading this correctly, but I think the mean at +384 is very impressive, very weak vortex over Canadian arctic/ Greenland, all of the deep cold is pooling over Siberia. .             hgt300.png.          Fantastic jet profile in FI.                           gensnh-21-5-240.png.       EDH101-240.GIF         Mean Anomaly from ECM and GFS at +240 screams blocked and southerly tracking jet , one thing I'm very confident if is no return to Atlantic conditions. ECM perhaps less keen to build heights over Greenland at this stage.            

That's a vary strong signal for the pattern to be too amplified and thus a West based pattern, the high is too far west.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
15 minutes ago, Grimers said:

Hi Will,

My thoughts were never centred on any such thing..I think you're referring to my post the other day where I pointed out that the updated GLOSEA5 actually supported colder weather later in winter (Jan-Mar) period....

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

Hi Will,

My thoughts were never centred on any such thing..I think you're referring to my post the other day where I pointed out that the updated GLOSEA5 actually supported colder weather later in winter (Jan-Mar) period....

Understood, my apologies.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

That's a vary strong signal for the pattern to be too amplified and thus a West based pattern, the high is too far west.

Not sure where you got that from, the gfs mean pressure anomaly is indicative of an area of HP stretching from Greenland to Iceland and the ECM seems to show a height anomaly directly over the UK but nothing there exactly screams west based NAO.

• Like 2

Posted

The 06z gefs is smelling pretty west based late on with low pressure to our south for the time being but it's trending less wintry in that regard though if we do get cold uppers in before the blocking retrogresses too far then it could end up more eventful

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 5