Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

With the GEFS 12z mean looking this good, it would not be unreasonable to expect something like  P2 later this month!:drunk:locked in and becoming colder and colder is what most of us want and deserve:D

21_384_850tmp.png

2_384_850tmp.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, KasimWeatherQuarnford said:

The operational ECMWF model has little warm air advection which punished the heights development. Still, good indications for ridging later in the run which indicates that the ECM is still forecasting a blocked Negative NAO phase by day 8 which if the run was a little tidier earlier on would have resulted in a more promising amplification of heights and colder weather at the surface. Operational's have a big tendency to rebel against the ENS which is featured not just in mild but cold outliers to. 

It's coming that's for sure but it's going to be an antagonizing journey. 

this is my point - why worry when its mid November, enjoy the ride. if it was late jan then I could understand the panic. mid lat high ?  yep, that's on the table and has been for a fair while. just another variation on a theme. the depression running across the top looks odd - lets see if that makes the para.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

ecm to me looks more than feasable given the stubborn heights to the east.its been knocking on the door regarding joining up to the atlantic high ete.that said not a disaster and given the gfs 12z time scale "f1" nhp epic charts time will tell of ecm joins the fun.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

the ecm eps are trending towards the gefs but the extra 31 runs is muting the means re the upper ridges etc. that means (pardon the pun) that there is a fair spread re positioning but ian told us yesterday evening that the clustering was around two solutions which are both cold. the 46 dayers are both on the same cold page, glosea is consistent. of course you cannot pin down exactly how we will end up being affected by a cold pattern but to worry about developments over the next week seems a bit silly imo. like I said before, It will take dramatic changes to affect the background evolution which brings cold to the mid latitudes and the 12z ecm op isn't going to bring about a change which will change that background pattern. 

Yes I was just wondering though if the ECM 0z ens were as yeaterdays 12z, was reading your debate earlier with knocker, as regarding the background signals yes I agree, I wont be pressing the panic button until some serious strat vortex intensification is likely, and that seems as far off as ever, if the strat vortex stays in similar health for the next month then there is nothing that can help the trop vortex and would stick my neck out and say a cold spell (even for our tiny island) would be very likely at some point during December.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

ECM 240

ECH1-240.GIF?15-0

CFS daily run for December 

cfs-4-12-2016.png?18

Uncanny similarities 

Maybe we are near to a resolution for December - dry, sunny/foggy and cold. The snow comes in Jan ;)

• Like 5

Posted

Medium term facing off between ECM, GEM, CFSv2 on the one hand and GEFS/UKMO on the other. Throw the GloSea longer range and EC monthly forecasts into the mix and this really is anybody's game...(which is of course, in itself, disappointing for the medium term - although plenty more optimism long term still possible irrespective of medium term winners)

Edited by ITSY
  • Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Have you just arrived from Mars? lol  If it can wrong it does in the UK in terms of cold. Differences at the start may well end up changing that, the ECM just employed some dodgy builders to finish off the foundations. I'll defer to your confidence for the timebeing, no panic yet but NW helpline operatives are on stand by!

Have to agree with Nick we have been fed up the past few winters with liners such as ' The worm is turning ' ' Odds on ' ect ect which never materialised If their is the chance of a cold spell in a reliableish time frame TAKE IT!

Although the right signals are being thrown in FI people forget that just one problem I.E shortwave and or spoiler or where will a ssw land us and anything and everything else can have a mass impact on our weather mild or cold a few weeks down the line. 

On a personal note glad to be back for this years hunt for cold and snow and signs are encouraging going forward but we've all been here before..

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
12 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

ECM 240

ECH1-240.GIF?15-0

CFS daily run for December 

cfs-4-12-2016.png?18

Uncanny similarities 

To be fair that ECM run would in my opinion by 384 offer retrogression certainly and potentially a lot earlier than the GFS 12z op, maybe a bit east based but I wouldn't worry about a few hundred miles at this stage.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 7

Posted

Come on guys, the really good stuff isnt supposed to start until early December anyway.

If the ECM was to verify exactly as shown it would still be cold and frosty and the high pressure is clearly on the move Greenland direction.

• Like 9

Posted

if  the  models  are  right  and  if  you  go  by  f1  the weather  could  get  they tasty  at the  beginning  of  dec

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

To be fair that ECM run would in my opinion by 384 offer retrogression certainly and potentially a lot earlier than the GFS 12z op, maybe a bit east based but I wouldn't worry about a few hundred miles at this stage.

I agree. That ecm day 10 chart looks primed for the high over the UK to be sucked northwards with cold air sinking south over Scandinavia which is exactly what we need if we are to see a significant cold spell in December.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

It's important to stress that these GEFS 12z charts are deep FI but they fit the mold for what the longer range models are indicating and what a start to winter this would be..talk about hit the ground running!:shok::cold-emoji:

2_300_850tmp.png

3_384_850tmp.png

3_384_2mtmpmax.png

4_384_850tmp.png

4_384_2mtmpmax.png

6_384_850tmp.png

6_384_2mtmpmax.png

12_384_850tmp.png

17_384_850tmp.png

17_384_2mtmpmax.png

19_384_850tmp.png

20_384_850tmp.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

We don't call it the Model Roller Coaster for nothing!!! Good job I was strapped in weeks ago!!!

rollercoaster.jpg

The joys of being a snow lover, living on a tiny little island in a HUGE great ocean.

SILVER LINING - Winter hasn't even started :drunk:

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Some great output from the gfs in particular this evening, and some equally eye opening purbs to boot! Shame that the ECM didn't want to play ball, so I guess it's best practice to take the output this evening as potentially great,and  let's see what the next couple of runs bring. I'm talking about what the 00z look like, as I'm not expecting the 18z gfs to follow this afternoons output. The one thing I will say is that the past 2-3 gfs runs have been pretty consistent out to around +120, so it could be onto something. Unusual to see UKMO back the gfs over ECM

Some great posts in here today, enjoyed reading through about 7 pages since this morning. Great to see the forum buzzing so early. 

From this to this in 15 days! I'll take that thanks.

IMG_3670.PNGIMG_3669.PNG

Nice winter welcome!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
38 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

No point in sugar coating the ECM output, its crxp! Its the weather equivalent of spam after being promised steak and chips. As I mentioned earlier the descent into spamville begins quite early at between T120 and T144hrs. From there too much energy spills east, no WAA into Greenland, it then picks up a chunk of the PV to bring a dessert of Angel Delight rather than Lemon Souffle.

Apologies for all these food analogies, its a coping mechanism when faced with underwhelming output, either that or you get film analogies. Those to come if the ECM operationals keep dishing up this type of crud!

Hopefully the US state forecasts ditch the ECM output, I'll report back after my soufflé!

Agree rubbish run. UKMO doesn't go out far enough but does side with the GFS better for this weekend. I wouldn't look much beyond this weekend at the moment ignoring the ECM output which is far too north leaving a wet uninteresting weekend. It was noticeable this evenings forecast didn't venture into the weekend indicating major uncertainty.

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Agree rubbish run. UKMO doesn't go out far enough but does side with the GFS better for this weekend. I wouldn't look much beyond this weekend at the moment ignoring the ECM output which is far too north leaving a wet uninteresting weekend. It was noticeable this evenings forecast didn't venture into the weekend indicating major uncertainty.

I'm going to be accused of being a misery soon! A little frustrating that the ECM isn't backing the GFS/UKMO. In relation to that been looking at the US state forecasts and its complicated, whats new!

In terms of the US forecasters fax charts, that's more amplified than the ECM operational run on days 6 and 7. The issue is the following from the Vermont State forecast:

The uncertainty in the forecast grows as the upper trough is expected
to become negatively tilted with a low developing over the region
by late in the weekend and how it interacts with the offshore storm.
The indications are the coastal storm will be drawn westward and will
consolidated into a low over New England which should lift northward
through early in the week. This set up will have cyclonic flow across
the region drawing colder air across the relatively warm water of the
Great Lakes resulting in lake enhanced rain/snow showers.

The models agree with the coastal storm being drawn westward, the negative tilt though is more in relation to the GFS/UKMO. I think we should get agreement in the morning given the timeframes.

• Like 8