Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

The bias corrected gefs is continually building heights to our ne in comparison to the non BC mean later week 2

Good news that should lock in the troughing over Europe. This looks great news for the ski resorts who could well have an early start to the season and should build up a good base compared to last season which had a terrible start.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Good news that should lock in the troughing over Europe. This looks great news for the ski resorts who could well have an early start to the season and should build up a good base compared to last season which had a terrible start.

If it's right nick ..........

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

If it's right nick ..........

Lol! yes of course. The outputs can find a way of striking back quickly to deflate the mood in here so best to be just cautiously optimistic rather than me ramping up things too much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy in Winter, Cold and Wet in Summer
2 hours ago, Frosty. said:

Arctic incoming, Iceland taking a pounding from snow showers and northerly gales..come to the uk :D meridional

h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu (1).png

h850t850eu (2).png

Frosty, i've never hoped that you and the models are right more!  I'm off to Iceland on the 24th. I want two days of heavy snow followed by completely clear skies for the old Aurora Bozza-arlis

Sorry for going off topic mods.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
49 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Hopefully we can banish memories of last winters sad attempts at any cold and snow.

Yes Nick it was tragic and pathetic wasn't it..anyway, signs are good for plenty of cold air from the nw from later next week. And its not all doom and gloom before then either as we will see occasional frosts and even some freezing fog.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Yes Nick it was tragic and pathetic wasn't it..anyway, signs are good for plenty of cold air from the nw from later next week.

I think tragic and pathetic are perfect terms to describe last winters attempts at  anything remotely cold. In light of this it will be interesting to see what happens to ENSO,currently we're trending to a weak La Nina. The interest around this is the impact on the MJO, the MJO composites we see are often a little too blunt. The MJO is very much effected by what ENSO is doing, this was the subject of many of my posts last winter which I'm sure bored the pants off many, so I left behind my obsession with shortwaves and moved onto the MJO!

So by popular demand or not as the case maybe we're back to the MJO!

For people intererested or who need to get out more like myself I'll provide this link to some fascinating research on the MJO:

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/2010JCLI3446.1

The research amongst other things concludes that the MJO effect on the NAO is greater during La Nina. At the moment we're not technically in La Nina but we're heading towards it but its expected to be a weak event. Indeed a La Nina developing this late in the season apparently hasn't been observed since 1980.

PS Section 4c is of particular interest as it discusses differences we might see compared to the normal composite in terms of especially the degree of amplitude in any troughs/ridges.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Yes Nick it was tragic and pathetic wasn't it..anyway, signs are good for plenty of cold air from the nw from later next week. And its not all doom and gloom before then either as we will see occasional frosts and even some freezing fog.

It wasn't even a good winter in deep FI or deep among the 18z ensembles at t+384.

In the meantime, the colder flow is creeping nearer and nearer the "reliable timeframe" again.

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html

Genuinely, quietly excited now.

• Like 6

Posted

Nice UKMO at 144 with things going to plan and similar to the GFS 06z.  GFS seems to be stuck at 108 on meteociel.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

GFS seems to be stuck at 108 on meteociel.

Yeah, that's cos it's collapsed with shock at the later output, hopefully. :closedeyes:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
6 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Nice UKMO at 144 with things going to plan and similar to the GFS 06z.  GFS seems to be stuck at 108 on meteociel.

Yep, echoed my thoughts as well, I was ahead of myself on last night's post as it is tomorrow's UKMO t+144 which is what I want to see but it's today's D7 (17th) on the ECM which will be equally important., Slowly does it, bound to get some backwards steps again soon but the overall picture for the 2nd half of November is setting up nicely for coldies if you ask me.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

h500slp.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GEM an improvement but still a toppler.

gemnh-0-192.png?12

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

GFS blowing up one of it's trademark dartboard lows off the tip of Greenland starting at d7. Looks too extreme to be a probable evolution.

gfsnh-0-222.png?12

General theme seems to remain though, Azores high retreating at around d6, allowing heights to drop and a NW flow.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 5

Posted

GFS quite different this run, some big hopefully unrealistic low pressures spinning up in Canada and Greenland and in turn powering up the Jet stream, not sure it looks right but you never know.  I imagine the ECM will be different again later. 

And still we have no real idea what is happening in 10 days time.  

Personally I'll just be happy if these ECM monthlies follow the GLOSEA signal for blocking, then it's just a waiting game hopefully.

Edited by Ali1977

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot
1 minute ago, Ravelin said:

GFS blowing up one of it's trademark dartboard lows off the tip of Greenland starting at d7. Looks too extreme to be a probable evolution.

gfsnh-0-222.png?12

Ian f did say that there could be a few windy spells before the transition. this could be what he had in mind maybe?? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
3 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

gfsnh-0-222.png?12

The general theme is okay though with the upstream pattern becoming increasingly amplified in line with some of our resident experts expectations.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

But should it swing SE, it might turn into a 'snow hurricane'? What's more it might end up in the North Sea...So, on balance, a good outlook still...:cc_confused:

• Like 3