Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yes, much better ECM! could well be ice days on this run, frost, rime, depending on cloud breaks, but as Frosty says dry! team ECM for me, other models suck tonight

ECM1-216.GIF?27-0

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

We get the sort of undercut but positively heights are rising to the north, we could with heights dropping in the northern Med. OMG this is so close to being good  just its very finely balanced.

It's also very close to being not so good lol.

This high in situ is starting to bore me a little bit. Yes great if it moves North but we have yet to see a model that does.

I thought GP said to look Northwest. I'm not convinced that a scandi high will happen tbh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
Just now, CreweCold said:

Aye, doesn't quite make it again this run....modelling resolute with too much energy heading over the top of the HP

ECH1-192.GIF?27-0

But each upgrade the pattern is being backed fractionally West and our ridge is better defined and stronger - upshot being a little more energy goes SE when the first trough disrupts and it is really game on.

Also each time we get a stronger block with better potential for further trough disruption and undercut 192+

We can't take the output at face value at the moment because there is a tipping point here to very cold charts and blocking or the jet riding over the top and much milder Westerlies setting in - could go either way but today has been a good day with probability of cold and blocked increasing from say 20% to 40%.

Will that trend continue tomorrow?

If it does we may well hit tipping point and see those cold blocked charts appear.

If it goes the other way then we are going to have to be patient and wait for the pattern to reamplify and the next chase which on past form shouldn't be a long  wait.

JMA also fails but alluding to Steve's post earlier we can see how close we are to achieving the setup we need

JN168-21.GIF?27-12

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
11 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It disrupts, attempts to undercut but it pretty much fills in as it does so. Not quite enough "energy" underneath the block. But at least it's holding its ground. On a separate note, barely a drop of rain for the UK on this run so far!

Indeed Nick. And past history tells me that the longer we are in this HOLDING PATTERN the better, the last thing coldies want is a moist strong SWr'ly flow at t-72 hrs. The Atlantic seems to have gone into hibernation for sure, long live the holding pattern and a chance to chill the ground for many more of us. :drinks:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
2 minutes ago, knocker said:

My first thought at the moment is I feel it much better to let the run complete; then assess it at leisure; then comment; but what do I know?

Where's the fun in that malcom:D

It looks cold and anticyclonic on the Ecm 12z with plenty of frost.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
1 minute ago, Frosty. said:

Sidney,s nuts will be turning blue if the ECM verifies :nonono:

C.S

• Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Oh very true Frosty so I await the day when the ecm is two days in and somebody posts, "T240 has potential, the building blocks are all in place".

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

Spot the difference..lol, more runs needed!:D

240_mslp500.png

240_mslp500 (1).png

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, knocker said:

Oh very true Frosty so I wait the day when the ecm is two days in and somebody posts, "T240 has potential, the building blocks are all in place".

That day will come.. anyhoo, the Ecm 12z looks chilly and settled although the changing orientation of the high means increasing clouds later in the week from the NW for a time before it becomes clearer and sunnier..and colder with sharp frosts and freezing fog, which is what most of us, away from the far north will see in the next 2/3 days with temps in rural areas dropping to minus 7 celsius.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted

Well we survived the ECM with a sense of could be worse! Given the blow torch warmth shown a few days ago and the seemingly relentless slide into that  tropical sw flow I'd say we're in base camp with crampons at the ready. However a storm has delayed proceedings or in this case just not enough goes right between T168hrs and T240hrs.

The issue with the ECM is the block never aligns favourably and never gets sufficiently north and you must have the high angled more ne/sw to direct the colder air sw'wards. Its later output is not bad and for early winter given some of the hideous outputs we've seen in the past it could develop with more interest.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM starts with high pressure and end's with high pressure a lot of very dry weather to come over the next week to 10 day's

ECMOPEU12_0_2.pngECMOPEU12_96_2.pngECMOPEU12_168_2.pngECMOPEU12_240_2.png

• Like 6

Posted

Re the ecm op run - the ridging up towards greeny is scuppered by the vortex segment being pushed towards n greeny by the quickly developing n Pacific ridge. Whilst that ridge will likely do us favours longer term, it spoils this particular run. I imagine that both the mid Atlantic and n Pacific ridges will evolve differently in twelve hours in any case !!

ar day 6/7, I really thought this run was going to be a classic given the starting point

re the back end of the gfs op - again, height rise way to our ne the secret - this time our ridge behaves to allow a cold push from the east

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Re the ecm op run - the ridging up towards greeny is scuppered by the vortex segment being pushed towards n greeny by the quickly developing n Pacific ridge. Whilst that ridge will likely do us favours longer term, it spoils this particular run. I imagine that both the mid Atlantic and n Pacific ridges will evolve differently in twelve hours in any case !!

ar day 6/7, I really thought this run was going to be a classic given the starting point

re the back end of the gfs op - again, height rise way to our ne the secret - this time our ridge behaves to allow a cold push from the east

I remember last winter a few instances where by cold was scuppered because of symoptics  that were eventually supposed to improve prospects. If my memory serves me we had the strat warming which led to an initial flushing down of the zonal winds and in the end ended up with zip. So I'm not sure if I'm in the mood for another hi I'm here to help in the long run Pacific ridge but equally might screw your only chance for cold in the next two weeks! So thanks Pacific ridge but no thanks this time. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I remember last winter a few instances where by cold was scuppered because of symoptics  that were eventually supposed to improve prospects. If my memory serves me we had the strat warming which led to an initial flushing down of the zonal winds and in the end ended up with zip. So I'm not sure if I'm in the mood for another hi I'm here to help in the long run Pacific ridge but equally might screw your only chance for cold in the next two weeks! So thanks Pacific ridge but no thanks this time. 

Exactly...I'm more interested in the here and now than what might happen 3 weeks down the line. Classic case of things just not falling right for the UK over the next week or so. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

You buy stock, you can earn money or loose money but the potential for big wins is much better than quickly spending money. Anyway, this is the weather, we can't do anything except watch, whatever we say or the models output won't make any difference to what we will get

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Exactly...I'm more interested in the here and now than what might happen 3 weeks down the line. Classic case of things just not falling right for the UK over the next week or so. 

I'm going to take a chill pill to get over the likely Pacific Ridge Debacle, go and watch Planet Earth 2 , hopefully they don't  stick another snake in when you're not suspecting , hate the things! I'll be back minus PR moaning later, hopefully the ECM ensembles will have a decent cluster showing a more favourable aligned high. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The ECM mean has above average uppers pretty much through most of the 10 days with +6c above average for D9 and D10:

EDM100-216.gifEDM100-240.gif

The mean flow looks mostly sourced from the Atlantic so milder and cloudy, so frosts to certain favoured spots.

The mean is not dissimilar in synoptics to the GFS and if we split the difference (GFS over does Atlantic -v- ECM over doing heights) we will be close to the D10 chart. Average temps in D5-10, rising from a bit colder  Tuesday and Wednesday morning (frosts). If the UKMO is correct and we have this for the next few weeks then it will be a great start to Winter and lay the foundations for an interesting Jan-March.

• Like 4