Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
2 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Another feature of the Gfs 18z is that we were a gnat's whisker away from full blown arctic airmass and yet we still ended up with reloads of polar maritime so on future runs we could see the arctic floodgates open wide..plenty for coldies to be encouraged about, not only later next week but through the rest of November and beyond.

I think you're right Frosty ... It seems to me that as we move towards the latter stages of November were looking at greater chances of wintry weather ..... Before winter proper begins. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

A few more dropping now but still need to start stepping things up (or should I say down really!) and really need to see the trend setting in.

• Like 6

Posted

Some more crazy FI Synoptics in the ensembles, although by no means an overwhelming majority just yet. As Fergie has repeatedly said, I expect the new week will determine the trend and deliver some crazy swings and even crazier Synoptics. Fun times - let's hope the possiblilities afoot deliver...

Edited by ITSY
  • Like 7

Posted

Despite the very cold November musings back in October only been half hearted in the end, I do believe based on past experience this should have been expected and considering the time of year it is, is actually a good thing. To explain, I've noticed in the past that cold signals are often picked up prematurely by the models as well as been suggested by the background signs to occur sooner than was actually the case. For example I remember in February 2013 there was a fair bit of expectation that that month would turn out very cold, only for when the month progressed for it to be somewhat cold, but nowhere near as cold as earlier signals suggested. But because of the tendency of the long range models to bring it in earlier than what ultimately transpired there was a fair bit of toy throwing on this forum, only for March to eventually deliver in the end, which back in say January that year was little expected (and understandably so considering March is a meteorological Spring month and nothing like that March had occured for a very long time). Also lets not forget last Winter when there was much speculation of late Winter possibly delivering i.e. February, but in the end the cold came later in March (though nothing on the scale of 2013, but things were very different that year) and April even. As for now this is perhaps a good sign that though cold has been predicted this month (and it has so far occured, but nothing major as yet) due to the premature nature of long range models, this is a good sign it will ultimately occur but later than it  was initially projected , and due to the time of year, occur at a much more conducive time to when we can hopefully take much more advantage of it i.e. in December. And I'm sure most of us would prefer that anyway. As ever though we'll see.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow
  • Like 6

Posted
7 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Despite the very cold November musings back in October only been half hearted in the end, I do believe based on past experience this should have been expected and considering the time of year it is, is actually a good thing. To explain, I've noticed in the past that cold signals are often picked up prematurely by the models as well as been suggested by the background signs to occur sooner than was actually the case. For example I remember in February 2013 there was a fair bit of expectation that that month would turn out very cold, only for when the month progressed for it to be somewhat cold, but nowhere near as cold as earlier signals suggested. But because of the tendency of the long range models to bring it in earlier than what ultimately transpired there was a fair bit of toy throwing on this forum, only for March to eventually deliver in the end, which back in say January that year was little expected (and understandably so considering March is a meteorological Spring month and nothing like that March had occured for a very long time). Also lets not forget last Winter when there was much speculation of late Winter possibly delivering i.e. February, but in the end the cold came later in March (though nothing on the scale of 2013, but things were very different that year) and April even. As for now this is perhaps a good sign that though cold has been predicted this month (and it has so far occured, but nothing major as yet) due to the premature nature of long range models, this is a good sign it will ultimately occur but later than it  was initially projected , and due to the time of year, occur at a much more conducive time to when we can hopefully take much more advantage of it i.e. in December. And I'm sure most of us would prefer that anyway. As ever though we'll see.

????

I don't recall seeing anything that suggested November would be very cold

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Interesting models again this morning, though this frame of the ECM was especially so. Look at the height from Russia pretty much across to Alaska. 

ECH1-144.GIF?13-12

And you have this from the GFS at the same time. Not as spectacular, but similar. 

gfsnh-0-144.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
8 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

The Net/W MR Model shows the warmer air moving away by Wednesday, Introducing a colder N/W flow for the remainder of the week with overnight frosts for some and a chance of some wintryness over high ground especially in the North.

a.pngb.pngc.png

As Mucka alludes to above^  The conflicting background signals continue throughout the Models into the start of Winter, But the theme of a blocked Atlantic still very evident this morning..

a.png

Looking at the anomalous mean uppers and it is a minor cool spell for some, as it mostly is from that direction for many further south and east. Between -2 to -4c below average uppers for east of the M1:

EDE100-120.gifEDE100-48.gif

The short milder spell giving +8 to +10 anomalous uppers^^^. 

A bit of consistency from the D10 ECM op, which is surprising... ECE1-240.gif  ensemble-verwachtingen-detail10.png

...bearing in mind the spread from D8 on the De Bilt ensembles, so as GFS op now showing various clusters after D7 as to how the battle between the three forces interact (Russia & Azores HP and the less organised vortex to our NW)? Would not like to take a guess yet, as the GEFS suggest no current trend or dominant cluster.

So next 7 days in the reliable; mild followed by cool, with the latter being dominated by the UK under a warming out trough. Although the wind's origin sourced from the NW/N, more westerly veering SW>S on the surface, so for the south feeling close to average, though going below average the further N/W you move and the Highlands bitter at times. Plenty of showers the further west you are, D4-7.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Ecm 00z ens mean shows a mild spell early in the week with a mid atlantic airmass but by midweek its changing as lowering heights swing down from the NW with associated progressively cooler / colder polar air and its an unsettled trough dominated outlook with temps generally below average and rather cold at times, especially in the north. We will all see showers and longer spells of rain, it will be windy at times and over northern hills, expect snow at times, perhaps occasionally to lower levels in the far north and modest hills of the south could have a wintry mix. Nights look chilly with occasional frosts and some sharp frosts over highland snow fields. 

ECMAVGEU00_120_1.png

ECMAVGEU00_144_1.png

ECMAVGEU00_168_1.png

ECMAVGEU00_192_1.png

ECMAVGEU00_216_1.png

ECMAVGEU00_240_1.png

ECMAVGEU00_72_34.png

ECMAVGEU00_96_34.png

ECMAVGEU00_168_34.png

ECMAVGEU00_240_34.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 8

Posted

Still on course for the block to the east to become more influencial longer term IMO-

Pattern looks generally stable, mild few days coming up, gradually cooler as we move through next week, short spell of Atlantic then the block takes over.

Sounds simple, obviously it isn't, but iv'e not seen anything on the 00z runs to alter the above.

And Blue mentioned, FOG on the agenda for later Nov as we pick up a continental feed - i think its at this point we really dont know what will happen, the hope for coldies is the block retrogresses, i still think it looks good for a seasonal/cold end to November :).

EDIT: 6z a couple of degrees colder by the end of the week - might be the odd suprise with a cheshire gap streamer on fri night :D

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 7

Posted

As if this needed stressing, but look at some of the options in FI - the models are clearly toying around with something! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
17 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Still on course for the block to the east to become more influencial longer term IMO-

Pattern looks generally stable, mild few days coming up, gradually cooler as we move through next week, short spell of Atlantic then the block takes over.

Sounds simple, obviously it isn't, but iv'e not seen anything on the 00z runs to alter the above.

And Blue mentioned, FOG on the agenda for later Nov as we pick up a continental feed - i think its at this point we really dont know what will happen, the hope for coldies is the block retrogresses, i still think it looks good for a seasonal/cold end to November :).

EDIT: 6z a couple of degrees colder by the end of the week - might be the odd suprise with a cheshire gap streamer on fri night :D

Cheshire Gap streamer you are such a tease NWS

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
13 minutes ago, ITSY said:

As if this needed stressing, but look at some of the options in FI - the models are clearly toying around with something! 

I'm not sure the 6Z has clarified exactly what though. The GFS clearly thinks that after next weekend there will be a cut off low of some description to our West. How that then develops, well I'm not sure we'll have any clearer an idea on that for another day or two. 

As by example, the t240 charts for the 6z and the 0z...

gfsnh-0-240.png?6  gfsnh-0-252.png

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

well the gfs in its later runs would go on to show easterly flow!

low dropping down south/southeast across the uk into germany then u see heights rising  slightly north of iceland.

to our east and scani height rising and retrogressing north and northwest certainly a link up possible.

all the time we have block to our east north east and west northwest we had lower heights to our south which is good step in the right direction.

gfs-0-192 (3).png

after the second low pressure shown in this chart moves through thats when the coldies doors will open.

although possibly a slow evolution into a cold set up.

the other alternative is low gets stuck to our west.

but if it drops south southeast like the the first low then could get flow from north northeast then east like 09/10

Edited by MR EXTREMES
  • Like 8