J10

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2016/17

Snow lying at the top station , 1950m asl. Should see a good covering on the Weiderbergenhorn Peak tomorrow morning. Will take a ride up to get my fix tomorrow ! Meanwhile , damp , cold and miserable this evening in the village. Fire lit. Funny enough this exact time last week was having a BQ and sat outside having a cold few beers.

C

• Like 2

14 hours ago, carinthian said:

Snow lying at the top station , 1950m asl. Should see a good covering on the Weiderbergenhorn Peak tomorrow morning. Will take a ride up to get my fix tomorrow ! Meanwhile , damp , cold and miserable this evening in the village. Fire lit. Funny enough this exact time last week was having a BQ and sat outside having a cold few beers.

C

3rd day of cold, cloud and rainy conditions. Too much low cloud for a visit to the summit but webcam cam shows several cm of wet lying snow at 1900m alsl. Many peaks in the area have 20cm of new snow cover at 2500m and the glaciers have a welcome top up of deep snowfall over the past few days. Hope it stays now at 3000m plus, but plenty of weeks left for the warmth to take hold again .

C

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, carinthian said:

3rd day of cold, cloud and rainy conditions. Too much low cloud for a visit to the summit but webcam cam shows several cm of wet lying snow at 1900m alsl. Many peaks in the area have 20cm of new snow cover at 2500m and the glaciers have a welcome top up of deep snowfall over the past few days. Hope it stays now at 3000m plus, but plenty of weeks left for the warmth to take hold again .

C

Sunday morning snowfall at 2130m. This picture above the resort of Gargellen close to the Swiss border.Gargellen is one of my favourite ski resorts. Hope to make a visit during the season.

C

berg.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, carinthian said:

C

Eventually got the gondola to top station. General snow cover, wet type, temp 1.5c at 1950m. The summit still shrouded in thick mist but snow has stopped. Would guess freezing level around 2100m. Seems a thick cover at that level but top not visible as yet. Would be a bit dangerous to walk to the top on the path and with poor visibility. Some are doing that !

C

Nice shot this morning over the Inn Valley. The weekend murk and precipitation now cleared. Precise snowline at about 2000m. Should rise to about 2500m later today where the snowfall has been widely measured at 20cm fresh snow. Nice to see the mountain tops covered though in early September .

C

99.jpg

• Like 3

The Great Blizzard of Oz. The best late ski season for at least 25 years down under. Over one metre of fresh powder dumped. Some Aussie resorts now to stay open until October. Same for New Zealand resorts also having a great late snow season in the mountains.

C

falls-creek-perisher-mt-buller-and-thredbo-all-rejoicing-at-blizzard-of-oz-3-0-12-1504866618.jpg

• Like 1

Just checked the Edlewisse cam and another lot of snow up there.

It doesn't last long but should do wonders for the glaciers.

One side note its amazing how many tourists visit there in the summer, loads on bikes.

I suppose it must be one of the  highest places in the Alps to easily drive to.

On 9/12/2017 at 08:46, seaside 60 said:

Just checked the Edlewisse cam and another lot of snow up there.

It doesn't last long but should do wonders for the glaciers.

One side note its amazing how many tourists visit there in the summer, loads on bikes.

I suppose it must be one of the  highest places in the Alps to easily drive to.

Edelweiss has now mostly melted, although the snowman from several days ago still remains as a pile of snow. Lauberhorn has just had a light snowfall leaving a thin covering after a sunny day yesterday and foggy this morning. Nice to see the first signs:) I too am always amazed at how many motorbikes are parked at the top of Edelweiss; I wonder if there are some hairy bends en route. 

Edited by Reefseeker

36 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

Edelweiss has now mostly melted, although the snowman from several days ago still remains as a pile of snow. Lauberhorn has just had a light snowfall leaving a thin covering after a sunny day yesterday and foggy this morning. Nice to see the first signs:) I too am always amazed at how many motorbikes are parked at the top of Edelweiss; I wonder if there are some hairy bends en route. 

Edit to the above - well I never, Les Arcs at Arc 2000 has wet snow falling and covering everything, in fact it's falling quite heavily; 1800 and 1600 both have it as rain. 

Arc 2000: https://www.lesarcs.com/livecam-arc2000.html#ong333

Lauberhorn: https://panocam.skiline.cc/lauberhorn

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Reefseeker said:

I dont know about hairy bends but as sure as hell there would be some hairy dudes lol.

• Haha 1

Winter's coming!

• Like 3

A September winter wonderland for the trip to school in Avoriaz this morning!

• Like 1

And now it's arrived to Whistler too. Nice early snow for 2 of my favourite snowboarding spots :D

• Like 3

Another great snowboarding spot getting in on the early snow action!

• Like 1

Wow quite impressive even if it wont last.

Snow across many resorts in the Alps.
Katschberg even down to resort level and the Edlewisse web cam shows a total white out, it must have snowed every day for a week or so always melting during the day.

• Like 2