Sign in to follow this  
Supacell

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

i need things to fire further south and west:(

awww its just a wee baby one! Id rather the storms waited till after rush hour... much better chase prospects. Good luck everyone!!

Where are the bulk of these storms going to come from? Will it be from the cold front from the west against this humid air we have now?

Cell over west London looks spectacular from here in Walton. Really rock solid and the anvil tanking shape. 

Strike rate going up now in W.London, up to 14/s per minute.

Reporting in from Harefield thunder is pretty constant at the moment but sounds distant and elevated 

big nasty looking clouds over head and wildlife has now gone quiet too 

here's hoping for a big one 

Got a fairly good visual of the cell in West London from here just east of Basingstoke. The back edge of the anvil looks very crisp and sturdy.

Very good view from here on that cell I'm almost under it but not quite can hear the thunder it's almost stationary 

View from the deck chair..

DSC_0027.JPG

Just now, Surrey said:

Very good view from here on that cell I'm almost under it but not quite can hear the thunder it's almost stationary 

View from the deck chair..

DSC_0027.JPG

That's a beauty!

Northern part of the storm is mature now. New bubble just to the south of it 

new daughter cells firing just to the south of the original cell, fresh strikes detected in that area....it does look rather pop-corny though  i.e single cells with updraughts getting quickly swamped

Just now, John Hodgson said:

IMG_2910.JPG

Wow that looks incredible!

The anvil is right over my head now, it looks tropical and feels it too. To bad it's heading away but I can here thunder from it. 

Edited by Mesoscale

I am looking out the office window over the Chilterns and hoping that activity makes its way WNW over the next 2 hours

Afternoon all. Apologies if this is already mentioned/being discussed - I haven't been keeping up with the thread much tis week due to zero activity in these parts, but a potent little import has come out of france and headed northeast. Its now sitting in north west london dropping loads of strikes. I'd love to be under that right now. I'm hoping for an import to come this way, but as every plume so far has resulted in nothing but absolutely cloudless skies and a muggy, humid stinking, boiling hot mess in these parts I'm erring on the side of caution. 

Edit - looking at the radar again it looks as though the import died and this is homegrown. The seems to be convection building further east now towards north london. Could it be possible a convection zone has developed and is slowly expanding east?

Edited by Windblade

Looking back at the 16:10 and 16:15 frames, it suggests there could be quite a hail core in amongst that:

2016-09-15.png