Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 1st September 2016 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

We had a quite heavy downpour around an hour or so ago, presumably associated with the occlusion shown on the FAX charts.  Sadly, after brilliant sunshine around lunch, stratiform clouds moved in and left much of the afternoon rather drab.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

A friend of mine just recently got back from South Carolina and was telling us all about Hurricane Matthew! An experience of a lifetime for sure. 

Just been going through the internet on various hurricanes and typhoons. This video footage of typhoon Haiyan however makes even many hurricanes seem like just a stiff breeze! 

Wind gusts on this between the 10 minute and 16 minute mark must've been nearing 200mph!! crazy stuff. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Well its busy in here lol.

Cool cloudy breezy not more to say really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A cool and mostly cloudy day today, the plunge of cool air is not cool or unstable enough to really deliver showers so lots of stratus to block out any clearer slots.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Feeling very chilly today, the wind was cold, we did get a few light showers here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Not very pleasant out and about today thanks to a very gusty wind (gust of 30 mph recorded this afternoon). Very threatening sky at times but only a few spots of rain to show for it here. Unfortunately it looks like the same again tomorrow.

Arpege Gusts Today 15.00 Arpege Gusts Wed 19Oct 15.00.png Tomorrow 17.00 Arpege Gusts Thur 20Oct 17.00.png

Morning gang!

Mentally busy at work with summer growth being taken back. By my 23Rd birthday next March I'm going to have arms like pop eye! 

We also cut the pumpkins this week!! This one is around 25-30kg. Next year I plan to get between 50-100kg. I learnt the mistakes I made this year and learnt a lot about how these giants grow!  We managed to get 5 of 5 plants 

Largest 25-30kg second 20-25kg third 10-15kg 

DSC_0007.JPG IMG-20161018-WA0004.jpg

We also had the little bit of corn I grew. It went in very late in the season I still managed to pull it back though and we'll the chillis are just amazing! Letting them die back now and hopefully go a vivid red! 

DSC_0013.JPGDSC_0010.JPG

I'm also going to set up a Facebook page to try and promote home growing and help anyone that needs or wants to grow but does not know how etc. It frustrates me so much something so simple to grow is on sale in tesco for £3 (pumpkins) and they are utterly crap!!!! 

I will also be growing them next year to sell so if anyone is local and wants a giant giant I will happily put yoy lot first on the list! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
8 hours ago, Surrey said:

Morning gang!

Mentally busy at work with summer growth being taken back. By my 23Rd birthday next March I'm going to have arms like pop eye! 

We also cut the pumpkins this week!! This one is around 25-30kg. Next year I plan to get between 50-100kg. I learnt the mistakes I made this year and learnt a lot about how these giants grow!  We managed to get 5 of 5 plants 

We also had the little bit of corn I grew. It went in very late in the season I still managed to pull it back though and we'll the chillis are just amazing! Letting them die back now and hopefully go a vivid red! 

DSC_0013.JPGDSC_0010.JPG

I'm also going to set up a Facebook page to try and promote home growing and help anyone that needs or wants to grow but does not know how etc. It frustrates me so much something so simple to grow is on sale in tesco for £3 (pumpkins) and they are utterly crap!!!! 

I will also be growing them next year to sell so if anyone is local and wants a giant giant I will happily put yoy lot first on the list! 

So what mistakes did you make and any tips for Pumpkin growers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Absolutely chucking it down when I drove past Gatwick at about 5.15pm. Looked very stormy, but no T&L.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A bit more sunshine today with a couple of showers.

Posted

Sunny most of the day, with a few showers in the afternoon. Today had a distinct feeling of winter is coming. Don't know if that gut feeling is right, only time will tell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Sunny most of the day, with a few showers in the afternoon. Today had a distinct feeling of winter is coming. Don't know if that gut feeling is right, only time will tell.

When is it going to snow IMBY:D

Posted
On 10/20/2016 at 06:02, Surrey said:

Morning gang!

DSC_0013.JPGDSC_0010.JPG

Sounds good! I got an allotment a few weeks ago and am looking forward to growing stuff next year, especially pumpkins! As I live in a flat, I've previously grown pumpkins in my Dad's back garden, in large flower pot and even on a scrub of land by an A-road! So it's going to be nice to have full control over a patch of land. My record is 36k in 2013 and I put that down the the heatwave at the right time of year for pumpkins as they love the hot sun.  That was from an Atlantic giant seed bought from Homebase but next year I'm going to splash out on a giant seed which cost about £4 each!! Tomorrow I'm going to dig in some composted cow manure into my pumpkin bed, then sow some green manure over the top. This is what growers of large pumpkins do in the October before planting apparently. 

• Like 2

Posted

Well it was overcast here for most of the day, a shame really as this wasn't forecast.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Well it was overcast here for most of the day, a shame really as this wasn't forecast.

Same here, Matt, until mid-afternoon.

Posted

Lovely sunny start after a chilly, clear night with a min of 6C. The cumulus are already bubbling up in the North Sea, ready to give a re-run of the last few days. If this was January I'd be looking forward to another day of snow showers! :)

Cloud Sat 22Oct 09.05.jpg

But as it's October I'm getting bored of this weather now and I'm looking forward to the High Pressure settling over us in a week's time (suggested by GFS & ECM) to hopefully give some pleasant sunny days and misty (frosty?) nights. 

• Like 1

Posted

Nice and sunny for most of today and yesterday here, though there was a heavy shower yesterday afternoon. 

Posted
6 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Lovely sunny start after a chilly, clear night with a min of 6C. The cumulus are already bubbling up in the North Sea, ready to give a re-run of the last few days. If this was January I'd be looking forward to another day of snow showers! :)

Cloud Sat 22Oct 09.05.jpg

But as it's October I'm getting bored of this weather now and I'm looking forward to the High Pressure settling over us in a week's time (suggested by GFS & ECM) to hopefully give some pleasant sunny days and misty (frosty?) nights. 

It is becoming a bit samey, isn't it Malcolm?  My mum is also finding the incessant daytime showers awkward for getting washing dry.

Posted
36 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

It is becoming a bit samey, isn't it Malcolm?  My mum is also finding the incessant daytime showers awkward for getting washing dry.

Ah.... you've just triggered memories of days-of-old (pre tumble driers or central heating radiators) when my Mum would peg the washing out on a sunny winter's day, and then the sun would go down and it would all freeze solid on the line. A whole new meaning to 'crisp white shirt'!

Maybe we'll only have to wait a couple of weeks for the first of this winter's frosty nights?? There's some great charts for early November being churned out by the GFS! :)

• Like 1

Posted

Not a bad day, sunny spells and the showers have missed here, that said they were very light and isolated by the looks of things.

Posted
3 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Ah.... you've just triggered memories of days-of-old (pre tumble driers or central heating radiators) when my Mum would peg the washing out on a sunny winter's day, and then the sun would go down and it would all freeze solid on the line. A whole new meaning to 'crisp white shirt'!

Maybe we'll only have to wait a couple of weeks for the first of this winter's frosty nights?? There's some great charts for early November being churned out by the GFS! :)

My mother does try to make sure to get it in before the temperatures drop too low, though she has been caught out!

• Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

a 2010 winter coming up?

Probably not, Steve; for one thing the QBO is acting in an unusual manner, however, there's no sign of imminent zonality of the type we've endured of recent autumns.